New Sun Kil Moon in February - Benji

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bryce, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryce

Bryce I drank what? Thread Starter

Sun Kil Moon - Benji - Release Date: February 4, 2014 (Caldo Verde Records)

Recorded between March and August 2013, Mark Kozelek sings about his childhood years and his life today. Mark is joined by guest musicians Steve Shelley, Jen Wood, Will Oldham and Owen Ashworth. Song titles to be announced in December.

Not sure I dig the title - but I'm usually down for anything that Koz puts out.

2. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

looking forward to it. Desertshore is really good, probably make my 2013 top 10 list.

3. osbie feel

osbie feel Well-Known Member

steve shelley from sonic youth? interesting.

4. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

My daughter shares the contemporary music she likes with me (and thankfully, she likes a LOT of the stuff from my era). I appreciate some of it, but it's fairly rare that any of it really knocks me out.

The one big exception has been Sun Kil Moon. Something about what Kozelek does really gets to me, and Sun Kil Moon's albums have "stuck" with me in a way the other stuff my daughter has shared with me hasn't.

She and I were lucky enough to see Mark and one accompanying musician in a small club in Pittsburgh a few years ago. Great show!

I'll look forward to the new album.

Andersoncouncil and Bryce like this.
  5. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

6. Bryce

Bryce I drank what? Thread Starter

No news on a vinyl release. That's a shame.

7. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

This song is one of the most arresting pieces of new music I've heard in years.

8. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

wow!!! amazing new song (posted above).

I need to get this. I stopped buying Koz music after Sun Kil Moon's "April" ---- one of his best IMO, but he started releasing so many projects/live albums etc. that I couldn't keep up with what was worth buying. Any other recommendations for Kozelek albums between April and this new one?

9. mogambotek

Yeah I agree. I created a separate thread for this song hoping some more people might jump on it. Not much luck. Kozelek remains criminally underrated and overlooked on this forum. It's a shame really, he's one of the best singer songwriters alive IMO

10. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Well, I jumped on it. And here we meet again! :)

mogambotek likes this.
  11. mogambotek

The song Carissa is absolutely amazing. I can't stop listening to it. I think the album on a whole is great but still needs to grow for me. Some songs don't hit me as hard as others but all in all it's an excellent effort and I'm very happy for Koz. I feel almost proud that he, as an underdog, is finally getting recognition he deserves.

12. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Completely agree. And this is coming from a classic rock fan who doesn't follow or know much about indie-rock at all. I love both the painters and Sun Kil Moon. Many forum members are missing out----he really does have a Zeppelin/Neil Young influence going on in some of his more electric tracks. But I think his strongest suit may be his beautiful, evocative lyrics, and melancholy melodies. A thing of beauty.
    Some of favorite tracks by him:

River
    Void
    Moorestown
    Lucky Man
    Song for a blue Guitar
    Summer Dress
    San Geronimo
    Trucker's Atlas ( a modest mouse tune---but he really makes it his own)
    Duk Koo Kim

man...I could go on & on

13. So is Kozelek playing with a band for most of this album, or is it mostly solo acoustic?

14. mogambotek

That's a great list. Thing with him is that each album he's released is very different from the previous, even in the Painters' days. Here are some of my favs:

Lost verses
    Void
    Medicine bottle
    Japanese to English
    Duk Koo Kim
    Gustavo
    Young love
    Moments
    Moorestown
    Trailways
    Like the river
    Blue orchids....

Oh man the list goes on and on. Even his "throwaway" tracks are gems. I even loved Among The Leaves and his collab releases last year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - being a Koz fan is very rewarding, especially now in his "golden period". Everyone else is missing out!

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  15. mogambotek

It's a mix of both but almost all tracks have other instrumentation or guests playing/singing. It's a nice mix of both aspects - the solo and band stuff. Musically it's probably his most diverse album.

GodShifter and Dudley Morris like this.
  16. Cowardlytrvlr

Cowardlytrvlr Member

another one from the new album. Pretty awesome

17. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Listened to this on the way to/from work. Absolutely incredible album. Making me go back to some of his RHP albums I haven't listens to in years.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  18. Sounds good. I haven't checked out much of his work since April, since he seemed to dive totally into the solo acoustic material - and while I like most of that work there's a lot of other music I like more competing for my discretionary dollars. Will have to pick this one up and get reacquainted.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

This is on the list for tonight.

20. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

What, no songs named after boxers on the new album???

21. nbakid2000

Not on Spotify. The artist's loss.

22. nbakid2000

Listening to this instead and really enjoying it:

[​IMG]

mogambotek likes this.
  23. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

Last years album with Desertshore made my top 10 for 2013, Benji sounds even better. an "On The Beach" for the 45 to 55 age group.

24. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

This was on my list too. Is there a stream on YouTube or anything?

25. mogambotek

Dudley Morris and manicpopthrill like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.