New Sun Kil Moon in February - Benji

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bryce, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

2. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Rough Trade and Norman Records in the UK also have it up but too damn expensive for us North Americans (Norman does not take off the built in VAT unlike Amazon.co.uk). I took a chance and have asked for one yellow and black at BM be set aside and I pre-ordered one from Amazon.co.UK (which is a lot more then the BM selling price but at least have reasonable shipping and no VAT).

I already have one committed to a friend offline but if I get all 3, I will pm someone here who is unable to get one (i.e. someone likely in Canada).

3. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Just put my order in to the UK Amazon, hopefully I get one. Disappointed (and surprised) that this hasn't been listed on Amazon.ca yet. Don't want to miss out. Ive only been fortunate enough to get Admiral Fell Promises on vinyl when it came out and have missed all subsequent releases. Still not sure why Mark Kozelek makes such limited runs when he could clearly sell a lot more. marketing strategy I guess. Im tired of seeing these ridiculously over inflated gouging flippers on Discogs though. That's gotta stop. Give the music to the FANS. Koz doesn't benefit from these flippers.

4. I saw him at the Bluesfest about three years back delivering a solo acoustic set; don't remember exactly what he played, but it covered the catalogue fairly well (even included a couple of RHP songs) and was a reminder for us living room guitarists that we don't really know what we're doing. Hopefully there won't be any obnoxious counterprogramming at the Folkfest; the flywheels at the Bluesfest programmed some ska party band at a nearby stage while Kozelek was on and it was plenty intrusive. And Koz certainly wasn't shy about letting us know how he felt about it, although thankfully he put his frustration into an intense performance rather than storming off stage or something.

5. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

Unless Koz is the one flipping these in the first place ! :p

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  6. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I decided to order through Amazon UK to see if I can score a copy. $50 CDN shipped, but small price to pay if this isn't going to be available in higher quantities.

7. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

I did the same. Pricey but will be worth it.

8. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

9. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

10. IpseDixit

IpseDixit Forum Resident

Benji is still in my Top 10 list for 2014 - I thought I'd eventually get tired of Mark Kozelek's deeply autobiographical musings, but every time I put the album on it still sucks me in and manages to move me in new ways. It's certainly not the most musically interesting thing he's ever done, but I don't know if I've ever heard confessional and intimate songwriting done this well over the course of an entire album.

11. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Awesome!

bobfrombob likes this.
  12. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

13. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Thanks thebunk! I've preordered and am standing by.

I wonder how many will be pressed?

14. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

got one - thanks!

15. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

16. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Rumor is:

900 on Black
    900 on Yellow
    400 on Blue

The blue copies seem to be the biggest question mark as first it was thought that only 100 were pressed for a store (Luna?) that Kozelek has an affiliation with of some sort then these went on sale. Apparently you can see how many are left by trying to add so many to your cart. On a another forum (VC I think), someone said they could add 260ish and this was around when they first went on sale.

17. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Source on 400pcs for Blue? I have only seen 900 Black, 900 Yellow, 100 Blue mentioned on different sites. A web store can allow a certain amount of back orders so it doesn't have to mean anything if trying to add hundreds to it.

18. inaptitude

Damn it.

19. I know for certain that LUNA had 100 of them (because I got one), so if the number is now 400, that means Caldo Verde has 300 to put up for sale. I'm still crossing my fingers that my yellow copy from Bullmoose actually gets shipped.

20. inaptitude

Well my order from Amazon.co.uk remains. I got it in fairly early, so fingers crossed. I notice that they are no longer taking orders for it after it was within the top 5 selling records for a while. I imagine that it's wishful thinking to say they stopped taking orders only when they sold out. :)

21. I think that the problem that we're all going to run into on the yellow ones is that these companies like Amazon and Bullmoose are taking pre-orders for what they requested, not necessarily what they receive. Notifications like this one

"We will get as many of these as we can. It's possible that we won't get enough for everyone. Of course we will fill orders in the order we receive them. We will not charge your credit card until right before we ship your order.

UPDATE: We have stopped taking pre-orders for this record. We will put it up for sale online after release date if we have any extra copies."

make me uneasy about me receiving one. I know that I got in early at Bullmoose. Hopefully it goes through. At least they are doing as much as possible to get them for us. That's more than most companies will do for random, low number pressings like this.

22. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Well I canceled my Amazon.co.uk pre-order once I knew I got one from Caldo Verde. Also placed two pre-orders via Bull Moose as well. If they do not get fulfilled I will not be heartbroken though it would be nice to have copies of all colors. My main goal though is just to have one copy on vinyl that I can actually listen to and enjoy. Not in it to flip them that is for sure.

23. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

I am actually surprised that Caldo Verde still have copies available. Starting to think that Perils from the Sea will be tougher to get even though Benji is without a doubt, Kozelek's most critically revered album thus far.

24. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

Now sold out at Caldo Verde - the OCD levels of all the MK/SKM completists will be going through the roof.

25. inaptitude

Any guess as to why they wouldn't release more copies? I love limited releases as much as the next person, but I can't help but shake my head at an artist selling out of their albums as quickly as he does without trying to meet the demand and make a bit more money while he's at it. Perhaps he has built up such a fever pitch of people buying his limited releases that there is a worry that an unlimited release might tarnish this reputation. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.