New Technics SL-1200GR arrived today ...(video)..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaleClark, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mike70, MondoFanM, Rocannon and 8 others like this.
  2. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Very nice. Recent owner myself and very pleased with mine (running an AT450 with nude elliptical stylus). But turn your phone horizontal when taking video!

Grooverider likes this.
  4. DaleClark

Funny you mention that. The one thing I am not really happy with are the RCA in ad out jacks on the MoFi. The jacks feel very flimsy and the cables are quite loose on the unit. It's one of those where if you move the unit with slight tension, the cables could easily become unplugged. Cables are really snug on the TT and Pre amp end. I still have 10 days, I may return the MoFi.

5. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I don't know anything about phono stages as all my amps and one Yamaha RX-V990 AV receiver had great built in phono stages. I don't use stand alone units. My 1210GR is plugged directly into the Yamaha which was built when vinyl was still a major thing before CDs took center stage.

Wngnt90 likes this.
  6. DaleClark

There are still some Preamp and even DAC makers that are including a phono preamp. I'm not certain how high of quality they are, but at least one can get started. I would guess that my $299 MoFi preamp is probably along the lines of a built in preamp just with a mono and rumble switch.

7. DaleClark

The Elac PPA-2 looks like a nice pre. I may end up returning the MOFI due to loosy goosy rca jacks and see what kind of price music direct can give me.

8. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Hi, any thoughts (good or bad) after spending a year with this TT? And what phono pre are you using now?
    I'm ready for a big AT-LP120 upgrade to do justice to my amazing Lp collection, and trying to justify a 1200GR vs 1500C. I'm not really interested in the 1500C included pre-amp/ Ortofon red, but actually prefer the simplified aesthetic...but I'm really considering spending the extra for the build quality and to ensure my no-regrets end-game TT. Love to hear your feedback!

9. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Then buy the turntable the OP, I, and many others did. Get a GR. Cry once if it's out of your budget as it's a lifetime table.

10. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I've had a GR since April and I love it.
    Either way you go, you should be ok, at first I dragged my feet and complained about the pitch shifter but more than a few pointed out the necessity for this when it comes to correcting speeds on pressings that have slow or fast cuts, not to mention if you start dabbling with 78s as they have a lot of speed issues.
    Just look at it as a feature you may never use but it might be valuable to someone down the road when and if you sell the deck.
    Personally I think if you are making this jump up in quality then bite the bullet and get the GR, a 1500 could be a functional upgrade for sure, but considering it comes with stuff you don't want and it is priced significantly less tells of some cost cutting, and it may not come out of the box with as much mojo as the GR has given the R&D behind it's better qualities.

Pali Gap likes this.
  11. Pali Gap

Thank you, that's the kind of no-nonsense advise I need to pull the trigger! TBH I wouldn't even cry about it, I just never considered spending that much on a TT to be necessary (and it's not really). I can hear my Lp collection screaming at me to do better (when I'm not distracted by the ridiculous rumble/noise of this AT-LP120) :doh:

12. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

You have a cheap chinese copy of the Technics table. If you're into vinyl and want a no-excuse table, that's the sweet spot in Technics line and no grief like pretty much all rubber band drive tables, which is most of what's out there now from cheap garbage to expensive, well...

That said about the AT tables, their cartridges with the Microline styli are terrific. The sweet spot IMO is the VM95ML.

13. Pali Gap

Yes I've already got the VM95L, but I'm not sure I've really heard it yet with the AT-LP120 lol...

14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Good point.

15. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Where do you get these online? Whenever I do a search I see they are sold out.

16. Vinylistener

Vinylistener Well-Known Member

Does anyone know why Guitar Center & Musician's friend stoped selling 1210gr? They usualy had 15% off deals, but lately they stoped selling technics, were they not making good profit on them?

17. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Happy you are enjoying the table! It's on my to-buy list when the budget allows.

The GR is the best model in the recent 1200's, right?

Has anybody toyed around the KAB upgrades to any of the new 1200s? Specifically the tonearm rewire. It's easy enough to hook up the fluid dampener.

18. DaleClark

Music Direct now have all Technics TT’s

Pali Gap and 33na3rd like this.
  19. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Congrats!

I only want to say an advice ... don't use any cartridge with more than 4 mv like the AT because they overload the mofi preamp. That happened to me with ortofon blue cartridge and I have had to return that preamp.

20. Pali Gap

All 'Out of stock', but good to know..

21. Pali Gap

I assume that would be the $4000 'G' model..

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  22. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Congratulations on the GR! It's a lifetime unit.

I think you're going to find the VM540ML paired with Mofi StudioPhono bright sounding. I have the 740ML and StudioPhono and it is bright. My StudioPhono measures treble forward so not a good combo with the AT.

I've got a Cambridge Audio Duo on the way so I'll share thoughts on the combo of that and the AT 740ML tomorrow.

23. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Maybe it's not bright ... maybe you only like more recessed and less detailed sound. I have the vm540ml with graham Slee preamp and it's not bright at all.

24. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Your setup may be great. I'm talking about the AT with the Mofi StudioPhono which I have, and the OP has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.