New Telefunken (JJ) Tubes: Anyone going to bite?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 56GoldTop, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident Thread Starter

Comments? Opinions? Observations?

JJ's aren't my favorite new production tubes (tonally) despite being durable (well, except for their 5AR4, in my experience). In fact, I only use them in one specific model guitar amplifier (preamp section). I also noticed the absence of a long gray plate 12ax7 reissue. I mean, if you were going to "resurrect" Telefunken, wouldn't that be a no brainer? Anyway... just curious if anyone has taken a punt and tried out the 6922's (in say a phono pre) or the 12ax7 in any application. If these are going to be the JJ tone with a Telefunken badge, no need to waste my time/money. If they don't sound like JJ's and are even slightly reminiscent of the Telef tone, I'd probably keep a pair on hand as an "in a pinch" backup to the NOS.

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/telefunken-black-diamond-e88cc-6922

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

3. 56GoldTop

:laughup:

I kinda figured that would be your response. I prefer to use these (and others like them that I keep out of anyone's line of sight). :D

[​IMG]

4. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Why buy cubic zirconia for $42 when you can get the real deal for $109?

Billy Budapest likes this.
  5. 56GoldTop

Seriously guys, I get it. That pic isn't all of 'em, by any means. Trust me, I keep a large stock of NOS tubes; hunted them down for years. Still, if a new production tube comes along that's got the mojo, I wanna know about it.

Atmospheric likes this.
  6. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

Nope, I'm done with new production tubes. I hope they get better before the old ones get too scarce.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  7. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I have no theoretical issue with new production tubes -- I use lots of new production output puts in my guitar amps and really love the sound I've gotten out of TAD 6L6WGC (great reliability and life on those too); and the New Sensor "Tung Sol" 6V6s sound quite nice too; like the Sovtek 12ax7LPS too -- but the practice of trying to give the new production tubes a little class by issuing them under legendary old brand names is more likely to make me suspicious about a tube than want to try the tubes. I'd love to see some great new production tubes in the marketplace, I'd especially love to see some EL34's that could dissipate heat the way the old Blackburn Mullards could. Not holding my breath, unfortunately.

8. 56GoldTop

Similar experience. At a glance, I thought the tone of the Sovtek 12ax7LPS was pretty decent, quiet and at least bore a slight resemblance to my long gray plate EI's (the silver plates... suck). I keep several of the LPS on hand as backups (same reason I was inquiring about the "new" Telef's). I agree. I would love to see some EL34's that could dissipate heat like the old Blackburns (or several old EL34's for that matter). In addition, with the new production Russian tubes, a grid stop resistor has become required as opposed to optional (in my Marshall Super Leads). I have yet to use Russian EL34s in a hi-fi power amp; so, have no idea how they fare in that application. The cock-eyed optimist in me always likes to hold out a wee bit of hope. I mean a never dreamed so much stuff would ever again be pressed on vinyl, right... ... ...

9. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I'm wondering if the new JJ's (Tele) are anything like the new repop Mullards, I've read where a Russian company simply bought the rights to the Mullard name and are printing the logo and name on whatever tube it is that they produce. I bought a pair, they sounded like crap and one did just that, it crapped out at about 50 hours, I pitched the other one...lesson learned

10. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

I would always assume that it's the case. Whenever a famous brand name is bought out it's going to be exploited for maximum profit. If someone was out to make high dollar kick-ass tubes they'd want to put their own marketing on them, to try to warn off conterfeiters, etc.

11. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

While it will probably suck for the buyer, presumable at some point NOS tubes will become scarce/pricey enough that making real replicas is cost effective.

12. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

Me too. Not a great tube and after a short time the getter started fading on one of them. Trash...

The Gold Lion KT77s were good sounding tubes but one crapped out in about a year.... I guess I can't complain too much but I have other NOS tubes that lasted far longer.

A JJ 5AR4 arc'ed over and took out a resistor in my preamp's PS some years ago too.

It seems like most new tubes don't perform well, and even if they do they are not reliable. I can't understand why anyone would buy new tubes when NOS are cheap and readily available, like 6SN7s can be had NOS for cheaper than new and they are all good tubes, even the least desirable NOS tubes are very good.

13. If the "new" Telefunken tubes were produced by the "old" Tesla, hat would be something. However, produced by JJ? No thanks.

14. moops

moops Senior Member

15. 56GoldTop

From what I've seen the truly good NOS tubes are not cheap. There are plenty of cheap NOS tubes which will do; but, the great stuff (that tests good and are not forgeries), I've not found for cheap in any sizable quantity for some years. If you have a source, though, I'd love to know what it is. Seriously.

16. The old Tesla tubes were of similar quality and sound to Telefunken. I don't know if they were ever labeled as Telefunken.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Do these guys just stick the name of the old company on them and that's that? They don't produce from the old toolings or anything like that?

18. moops

moops Senior Member

Cool ..... good to know, thanks. :thumbsup:

19. 56GoldTop

Yes, new Mullards are Russian tubes. JJ's are Czech (IIRC). For stage work (not studio, not hi-fi) I have no problem with either.

For onwards of two years now, I've overdriven (run them hard into an attenuator) the same pair of reissue Russian Mullard EL34s (and a 12ax7 in the V1 position) in my Marshalls without a problem. Tonally, the best? Nope. But, good enough for rock 'n' roll and haven't blown up yet.

20. moops

moops Senior Member

It's all very ambiguous as in this ad for example they state ....... "Patterned after one of the most durable military grade tubes ever built"
    Now does that mean they've at least tried to reproduce something similar to the original or is it purely the label on the tube ?

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/tung-sol-12au7-6189-new-production-preamp-vacuum-tube

21. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

The more popular tubes can get up there but depending on the tube there can be some great bargains. Pretty much any NOS 6SN7 sounds good, doesn't matter what it is... some better than others for sure but even cheap NOS 6SN7s are good. I'm pretty sure all the 5692s are the same tube and you can find them for under $100/pair if they are not the red-base RCAs, and they are all premium 6SN7 types. Sylvania GTAs are all good and some are very inexpensive too. I also use EL34s and the Japanese tubes made with Mullard tooling can be inexpensive and very good. RFT EL34s are still around $100/pair and XF3 Mullards can go for those prices too especially if they are branded under a different name. Same with the Japanese 5AR4s made with Mullard tooling, good deals can be found on them and copper plate RCAs, and big bottle Sylvanias too. I think you can find decent NOS tubes of all kinds of you can settle for the ones that aren't hyped. Of course many are hyped for good reason, but still...

56GoldTop likes this.
  22. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

samurai and 56GoldTop like this.
  23. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

The new Mullard 12AX7's is what I had also, glad you're getting along with them, I put a pair in my stereo preamp and the results were less than stellar.

Also tried the EL34's in my amp, they didn't stay in service very long either, not knocking them too much, just not for me.

The best new production tubes I've come across are Psvane, made in China, but not a bad tube if you pop for a "Premium" grade.

24. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

No.

I'll stick with my vintage RCA, Mullard, Amperex, Philips et al.

mreeter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.