New to Van Morrison...where do I start?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jim T, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BKarloff

BKarloff Forum Resident

This is pretty much SPOT ON! I would just add Moondance to this list and perhaps The Healing Game from his later period, which is a very mellow underrated album in my book.

2. arto

arto Forum Resident

>"Live At The Grand Opera House Belfast (his best live album)"

I have never been that impressed by that one, though I love the part in "Rave On, John Donne, where he temporarily mistakes "swine" with "sweet wine." No cleaning up the messy parts, and keep it spontaneous.. that's the Van live performance credo.

As live albums go, there's the critical favorite from the summer of '73, "It's Too Late To Stop Now." Hard to beat Van with the Caledonia Soul Orchestra, including strings. However, my live fave is "A Night In San Francisco,", a double CD from the early 90's. Great from the first note to the last.

Atmospheric likes this.
  3. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Laughing? I'm jealous. I still discover lots of great new (and some old) acts at my advanced tottering age, but to have the luxury of starting from scratch and exploring the whole career of an artist this monumental and prolific will be an astounding treat for you. Have a swell time!

4. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

You start at the beginning where you are supposed to start ...

5. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I don't think that is indicative of the greatness to follow.

Tom H likes this.
  6. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Thank you for taking me to task for my post which you believe was not germane to Van Morrison and criticizing me about a "history lesson". I found your post very interesting in that it discussed Them and how their sound was radically different than Van. Thank you for your history lesson and your observations and your expert opinion about how the music of Them isn't representative of Van's solo work. I also appreciate your superior opinions and apologize for bothering to post my inferior observations.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  7. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

The early albums are indisputable and really set the pace...and have been discussed and recommended numerous times above.

But for later Van, my go-tos are the double-disc Hymns to the Silence and Back on Top; they both stand up to repeated listens, but I find Hymns to be absolutely essential Van.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    dino77 and mkolesa like this.
  8. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

:laugh:

9. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

You're right, I was harsh in my comments there, and I apologize.

I think I was in a bad mood because dino77 had dissed most of Into the Music.:tsk:

10. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Here's the thing - I didn't DISS it. I said I don't think it is among his better albums and occasionally lightweight - an OPINION, whereby you became rude and insulting :help:. Pity.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  11. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

:rolleyes:

TonyG likes this.
  12. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

If you had included Its Too Late To Stop Now, I could have said that you have just completed my list for me ...:)

Cool...:)

I love Astral Weeks but IMO, it would also be a bit challenging to someone who is just starting to discover Van. But, if you decide you really like Van, it will prove to be a worthwhile adventure as well.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  13. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

:o:help:

That's a diss in my opinion. So was my remark about you giving bad advice. Get over it.

14. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

Have always liked this duet of Cliff Richards and Van.

Interesting that Van has featured so many other distinctive voices on his LPs and in his concerts. (he Live in San Francisco album features a number of other singers.). And there is also the Brian Kennedy era, the Linda Lewis album, the Skiffle sessions, and the songs with John Lee Hooker.

dino77 likes this.
  15. fred durette

fred durette Active Member

Astral Weeks
    Moondance
    Veedon Fleece
    Poetic Champions Compose
    Into the Music
    No Guru No Method No teacher
    Its to late to Stop Now Double Live ( One of the greatest live albums ever made
    St Dominic's Preview
    Street Choir
    Hymns to the Silence (2)
    Live in San Francisco (2) live

Thats my list tonight subject to change any day SOme of his bootlegs are better than the original If you want a list of the top ten Van Boots theres another thread

Craig likes this.
  16. fred durette

fred durette Active Member

let me also say that if you can get your hands on a DVD called Astral Weeks Live at the Hollywood Bowl you will see where Mr Morrison can take an old gem and transpose it into the future

17. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Recently purchased Moondance. First Van release I've ever bought, being only familiar with what gets played on the radio (BEG, Domino, Wild Night, Moondance come to mind). Terrific music. Actually, I'm pretty blown away with how good it is. Never expected to like it this much. Have had it on repeat all weekend long. I'm looking forward to spending a fortune to get the rest of the releases mentioned here!

JeffMo, hutlock and Dee Zee like this.
  18. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Van's the man.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  19. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Concerning his approach to the recent Moondance reissue, is he still the Man or only was decades ago?

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Have we heard back from @jim tavegia about his journey into Van yet?

21. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I tend to like the 80s/90s stuff best, especially the stuff with Georgie Fame.

Enlightenment
    Hymns To The Silence
    Poetic Champions Compose
    A Sense Of Wonder
    A Night In San Francisco

Carserguev and Craig like this.
  22. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

A great slice of Van's catalog that is generally under-appreciated. Question: which version of Did You Get Healed? do you prefer? Poetic Champions Compose or A Night in SanFrancisco? For me, it's the latter.

23. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I like them both. PCC is a supremely reflective even meditative record in which DYGH just flows beautifully. But to listen to that song standalone, ANISF is hard to beat.

24. serge

serge Forum Resident

veedon fleece is his masterpiece

it may be too much though to start with that one

25. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Good to see a new Van Morrison fan here......just happen to be spinning the excellent vinyl reissue of Astral Weeks which sounds excellent......he's one of those artists that I love turning the lights down on a rainy evening and just getting lost in the music. All of the above recommendations are excellent, Veedon Fleece is great although I enjoy the 80's and 90's music as well. One of my all time reissue pipe dreams is going on one of the music retailer's websites like Acoustic Sounds and seeing. "Coming soon"........Van Morrison' s catalogue being reissued on MFSL 45 Rpm vinyl....I'd buy 'em all regardless of cost!

- Buck

Bobby Buckshot and JeffMo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.