New Tori Amos album, "UNREPENTANT GERALDINES", and tour (Spring 2014)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Pretty good track, I have to say. It's also available to stream:

2. otherdimension

otherdimension Senior Member

Mmm good song. Liking the folky sound to this....

3. RichardG

RichardG Forum Resident

Tori does Band of Joy!

I like it - had it on a Spotify repeat loop for about 30mins so on my 7th or 8th listen.

I'd like to hear Robert Plant do a version of this (it'll never happen!)

4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I've been watching the price on this and I note that it's still stratospheric: in the UK the Deluxe edition, which contains the now standard coaster masquerading as a bonus DVD, costs a very toppy £20.29 on Amazon! If things carry on like this it will be the first Tori album that I haven't bought on release.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Ha! That's (Boys For Pele) my favorite album cover of hers. I love t just for the way people react to it.

Nice, I like it. I skipped her last few albums. Until just now looking at her disgography, I didn' even know "Gold Dust" existed. I might give this a shot. Haven't bought one of her albums since "Abnormally Attracted To Sin".

6. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Well, for curious people out there, you can already listen to clips of the forthcoming album on some music sites.
    I've got to say I wasn't very enthusiastic about the first single, which was ok-Tori for me, but the clips got me quite curious about that release. If it's not just the "clips" effect, it may very well be a very good and interesting album.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

fantastic album cover. unpretentious and back to basics - Tori would do well to shed some of her (undeserved) pretentiousness, or at least how the masses perceive her.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

For those interested, it's streaming here! Weatherman (the fifth song) is really great, but the rest so far is just your usual "new-style" sleepyhead Tori music. So unfortunate! Many are comparing this to The Beekeeper, which is REALLY unfortunate. Ah well...

[​IMG]

9. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Just listened to the album and its truly stunning. Its pretty much the Tori I loved over 20 years ago! Back to basics.. strong melodies, great lyrics and no weirdness in her voice or arrangements which had ruined many an album for me in the past. Only thing I don't like is the album title lol. Songs like "Selkie" and "Oysters" are two of her very best ever songs IMHO. The opening track "America" is wonderful as is "Troubles Lament". All the rest are equally great. A stunning comeback for me. I'd put it up there with her first two classic albums easily. Well done Tori and welcome back!

Luxury_Liner and otherdimension like this.
  10. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I've heard it though just once so it hasn't really sunk in yet but initial impression was reasonably positive. It's unmistakably Tori yet has a different sound to it, seems to have much more guitar than her norm.

11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It reminds me of The Beekeeper, at least the songwriting, all meandering, low-drama, mellow tunes. The sound is more like her first three records, especially Earthquakes, although not quite as varied and expansive. I'd give the production a solid B, it's a pleasant listen. But the songwriting . . . meh. No hooks. No urgency. Zzzz.

One interesting thing to note - her voice hasn't aged a day that I can hear. She sounds exactly the same as she did when she came on the scene. Not many female vocalists can make the same claim - menopause usually wreaks havoc with their voice.

12. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

And just after posting that I finally hit the title track, which actually IS interesting and dynamic (and has the most whacked out production). It's sort of Tori meets Blondie, if that makes any sense. A whole album of this would have been a blast...

13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

As unpretentious as you can get in front of a canvas;) Not to crap this but when I saw the posters advertising the album I instantly thought the artwork was an unfortunate choice. Like "Look, mom is over 40 but isn't she still far out?"

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

DJ WILBUR likes this.
  15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Listened to about half
    or so , better than the
    last few , which i found
    to be so much fluff

16. pghmusiclover

This really is a pretty strong album from Tori. At 14 tracks, and approximately 60 minutes, is is definitely not as unwieldy as some of her recent studio albums.

17. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

I've played it a few times and it seems to improve with each listen. Pretty solid effort, I quite like the first 4 or 5 tracks though it seems to hit a lull in the middle. Selkie and Invisible Boy are outstanding. And she kept the whole thing down to 60 minutes (save for the bonus track depending on whether you get the deluxe edition, Amazon or Itunes!)

Good stuff, indeed.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

19. stem

stem Forum Resident

On Amazon UK today there is a free download available of an exclusive track "Dixie". Can't see it on any of the regular cd versions of the album.

20. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

You can only get that download if you have a U.K. billing address. It looks like it will be available in the U.S. as part of the MP3 version of the release only. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    stem likes this.
  21. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Actually, it appears that Dixie may be available as a separate MP3 download too. Missed that before.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

awesome news, I have to get this one! glad to hear its not another 80 minute title

23. pghmusiclover

24. DJ WILBUR

25. DJ WILBUR

is this not streaming in advance anywhere?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.