New turntable has some cracks on the plinth

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bryan, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr. Thread Starter

I bought a new Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable on Record Store Day at Amoeba Music for 20% off (it's a light-grey model). When I was almost done setting it up at home I realized it has two cracks on the back of the plinth. There's one crack in the area of each of the dust cover hinges, like they were screwed on too tight.

Should I be concerned? I figure it's only cosmetic and on top of that I won't ever even see the damage, as it'll always be facing the wall. Just looking for the thoughts of others and to hopefully be reassured.

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

If it was sold at a discount as part of the RSD promotion or something, make them exchange it for another one.

3. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

Hard to say.
    Maybe all of them are like that?
    Then if it is cosmetic, are YOU fussy? or not?
    If I thought the cracks would make the screws/plinth weak, and then the cover would come loose...
    I would do something about it.
    Either take it back. Or glue up the cracks a bit.if they extend into the screw holes.
    If the cracks go the full depth of the screws, then one day your cover may get ripped off when you bump it too hard, and the screws holes tear all the way out of the plinth. (worst case)
    So I would either take it back. or glue up the cracks.

4. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Get a replacement. Cracks in the plinth are unacceptable for a new table imho.

5. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Take it back -- unless it was advertised as 'reduced' as a demo or floor model, and not just because it was RSD, you should expect it to be as perfect as new can be.

bleachershane likes this.
  6. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

yep, return it.

7. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Return it. No question.

8. Bryan

Anyone care to elaborate as to why I should go through the trouble of returning it?

I did some searching online, and apparently this isn't an isolated issue with this turntable. I found at least one other use review that mentioned the same thing.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  9. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

other than the fact it's new and should be perfect....what happens when you upgrade in a few years (you will) and you have to sell it at a discount because of the cracks?

Also, the cracks will spread....

What else is cracked you can't see plainly. Return it or get $$ off and spend it on records.

10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

If the cracks don't bother you than keep it. The cracks can't help the acoustic properties of the plinth (supposed to be non resonant) and I'm sure the designer didn't intend them to be there.

11. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I feeling you regarding that whole return experience at Amoeba. If the Berkeley store is anything like the Hollywood store, it won't be fun. :rolleyes:

12. Bryan

Yeah, I really struggled with whether I should purchase such an expensive item from them, given their somewhat strict return policy on hardware. Couldn't resist getting 20% off, though, considering I never see Pro-Ject turntables discounted anywhere else.

13. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Of course the other side of this potentially is the reason it was discounted was the cracks....

14. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

How many other £300 items would you accept with a visible issue? I would get it changed... it will be a lot easier to sell when you next upgrade.

bleachershane likes this.
  15. Bryan

No, no, they had ALL turntables on sale for 20% off. It was a one-day thing for Record Store Day.

16. nesnith

nesnith Forum Resident

My Pro-Ject carbon turntable doesn't have cracks on the plinth.

Just because it's a hassle to exchange/return the turntable, you shouldn't settle with a flawed product. Especially since that turntable still costs at least a good $300 bucks after the 20% off. As long as you are returning/exchanging the turntable within the stated return/exchange policy of the store, I don't see what the fuss is about?

On the other hand, if the store is giving you hell, try contacting the distributor directly. The plinth shouldn't have cracks on them, especially on a new turntable. Such defects should be covered under the standard manufacturer's warranty.

17. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

No doubts, I would get a replacement or a refund.

18. Bryan

Okay, I will stop by the store tonight and see what they say.

19. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

This hits the nail on the head for me. When you decide you want to upgrade you will take a major hit on resale because of the cracks.

20. Bryan

I went by the store last night and they said I can exchange it for another one. Unfortunately they are out of stock right now, but I guess they will hold one for me when they get more.

I don't own a car, and lugging this thing home on the bus already sucked, so I am not looking forward to the exchange process. But it seems like the right move.

21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Take a cab!

22. Bryan

I thought about that, but it will probably cost me at least $20 round trip, which kinda eats into the 20% I saved by buying the TT on sale. Maybe I'll take a cab there and walk back.

23. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Thats why you bought it on sale, so you could cover the cab fare. If you lived within 100 miles of me I would drive you myself.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Don't tell them you carried it on the bus, they'll probably say that's how you broke it (even though you didn't).

25. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

No need to rush. You've got the replacement agreement in the bank. Just relax with the duff plinth, and play it for all it's worth (you'll get a new cartridge and stylus too). Combine the replacement journey with a future purchase at your convenience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.