New turntable or new cartridge?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by K3rvus, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K3rvus

K3rvus Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi all, I recently found a Fisher MT-6331.
    What do you think about that TT? I searched the internet but i haven't found any review or opinion... So someone knows if the Fisher MT-6331 is a "good" TT?

I use the "default" cartridge and a Sanyo ST-44D stylus!

It's a better idea to change the whole turntable or only the cartridge? (i have a small budget...)

What do you think about the Ortofon 2M red? It's a good cartridge? it works with my TT? or other cartridge on the 100$ price range?

or change my turntable with a Rega RP1?

any advice?

Thank you!!

2. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

If you can afford it get the RP-1. Plug & play, simple, reliable and great sounding table. I've tried various vintage tables and IMO most are simply not worth the hassle.

3. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

I would personally get a new cartridge/stylus as long as you've established that your Fisher is functioning without any problems. The 2M red would be a fine choice, or even the Ortofon Omega which is very cheap and tracks very well, although it is 'bright'.

For various reasons, I'm not a big fan of the budget Rega or Project turntables. Instead I would spent that money on a nice condition Dual or spend some more and get a used Linn Axis.

4. Shak Cohen

btw if the 'stock' cartridge on your TT is an Audio Technica VM8/ATS10/11 (which it was on many from this era) you could fit an ATS12 Shibata to it which is a big step above any sub-$100 cart. You can get it from LPGear, Needle Doctor, etc.:thumbsup:

5. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have a Rega RP1 "performance" and I am quite pleased with it.

6. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

You apparently already have a reasonably good turntable. I'd just put a good cartridge on it. Maybe a Nagaoka MP-110 or one of the Audio Technica cartridges already mentioned.

I have a Rega turntable, so no bias against them on my part.

7. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

For me, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish -- do you just want to try something different, or are you looking to move up? Here's my approach: if I just want to explore variety or different flavors (unipivot vs. gimbal arm, MC vs MM, etc.) then I don't replace; I add and make a pretty lateral move -- buy something of about the same price/value as what I already have. If you want to make a lateral move, go for the Rega -- a nice basic modern table that will be a different flavor from a nice basic vintage table.

On the other hand, if my goal is to step UP in quality, then I try NOT to make lateral changes or tiny incremental improvements. I wait and save up until I can make a significant bump in price/quality/value. Or I seek out a low-priced giant killer that way outclasses its price range. If you want to progress, then you could either get the Ortofon Red or, better yet, hang onto that cash, bide your time a while and then get a significantly better table w/cart used for not much more than you'd pay for the Rega.

mikeburns and Ntotrar like this.
  8. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Even though I like my RP1 I see an upgrade on the horizon. RP? But to be clear I own a vintage Sanaui TT and its great but the RP1 is in another league.

9. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Sure enough -- I just mean, if I could afford a new Rega RP1 now, then I'd probably try to wait a little longer and get a used RP3 instead so as to maximize the jaw-drop factor. That's way more fun and dramatic at the entry level than at the swankier price points.

10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I'm thinking RP6! But know this the RP1 is worth every penny in my opinion!

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

An Ortofon 2M Red or the Nagaoka would be happy on the Fisher tonearm. And in good repair, the Fisher's speed stability will trounce the RP1 Performance. Upgrade the cartridge this time. Set up correctly, and enjoy!

missan and Shak Cohen like this.
  12. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Sounds like wishful thinking. Documentation please.

13. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

14. Shak Cohen

The Fisher is a Direct Drive whereas the Rega is a belt drive, and a fairly 'wobbly' one at that.
    It has problems running 'on speed' consistently and has some wow/flutter that you will eventually notice when you listen carefully to piano or acoustic guitar notes etc. (try some George Winston or Michael Hedges on the Windham Hill label for example).

A direct drive (or ideally quartz locked direct drive) will offer rock solid speed stability and negligable w/f by comparison, providing the master tape from which the record was cut did not exhibit these problems .

Generally Rega and Project are unwilling to provide detailed technical spec on their products for these fairly obvious reasons: it would not reflect well on them, a direct drive is unarguably superior technically to a belt drive.

One thing that belt drives can provide is a softer, perhaps more 'sweeter' sound (it's actually thinner yet somehow often 'flabbier' to me) and are often 'quieter' in operation. Dual and Linn turntables give a very solid performance for belt drive, much better than Rega or Project IMO, check www.dual-reference.com re: technical spec of Duals.

McLover and missan like this.
  15. missan

missan Forum Resident

You are joking right. Do you know that this Fisher is direct drive quartz looked TT? How the Regas perform You can info on MillerAudioResearch, it´s not a funny read.

16. Bob_in_OKC

Here's a snapshot of a test report at the Miller Audio Research site. It shows total wow and flutter of 0.09%, a result much worse than is published in the specs of the major Japanese direct drive brands from the 1970s. It must be a Rega, right? No...actually, it's a Technics SP 10 MK2.

Attached Files:

17. missan

missan Forum Resident

Yes, I believe You have a Rega. My remark was only in the context in believing the Rega actually would perform better then the Fisher.

18. Bob_in_OKC

My point is - If you're going to cite Miller Audio Research in defense of the direct drive turntables, Miller might not actually support your case.

19. missan

missan Forum Resident

I neither have a Rega, nor a Fisher. You have made it very obvious that You have a Rega, many times. I really have no case, I was just pointing out that it should be rather obvious that the Fisher shouldn´t be expected to be worse than the RP1, regarding W&F. To really know we must measure side by side, or in some other way that is objective, of course.

20. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

where is the thread crap smiley when you need it.....
    :blah::blah::chill::chill::blah::blah::rant::rant:

To the OP - you've got a pretty standard table there, not a fantastic table, but not a terrible one either. Perfect entry level table provided it's running good. Pretty much a work horse if it's maintained well. Whether or not the RP-1 is an upgrade I couldn't tell you as I never had one. Should be just fine for casual vinyl enjoyment!

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Rega does not publish specifications on their speed accuracy. The middle of the Rega line is where I begin being more tolerant of listening to one much. I can hear the pitch wavering on the lower end models. And it's enough to bother me. Especially on guitar, mandolin, banjo, and piano notes.

Shak Cohen and missan like this.
  22. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

And yet most of the top end TTs are belt drive.

23. missan

missan Forum Resident

There are of course good TTs from all different drive systems.

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Because belt drive is cheap to make. It does not require application specific IC chips, nor expensive engineering and design and most of them in the RP1 class can be built in a garage with machine shop parts and a cheapie DC off the shelf motor. You or I could make a RP1 equivalent with a machined platter, pulley and a Rega RB tonearm.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  25. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.