New Turntable - Rega Planar 1 or Project Debut SE3?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by OobuJoobu, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident Thread Starter

In a few weeks time I'll be gathering various Christmas/birthday monies coming my way and will be investing in a new turntable.

My budget is the £250 to £300 range. I don't need to buy an amp/speakers/pre-amp etc., just the turntable...

So far I've narrowed it down to the 2 in the subject heading. Anyone got any suggestions as to which would be best, or even an alternative in that price range?

Pro-Ject Debut S/E3 review

Rega Planar 1 review

Thanks in advance :)

2. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

I don't think you can go wrong there. If you can go somewhere and touch them, then do that. The Pro-Ject certainly has a better cart, but while I essentially considered the Carbon a freebie on the Planar 2, I've left it on and been thoroughly enjoying it for several months now. I didn't expect that at all. Both tables are solid choices and should make you happy.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  3. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, that's reassuring!

4. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

The Planar 1 always multiple upgrade paths should you choose to do so. I do not know what Rega's cost over there but whether here or there, the Planar 2 is a serious table for not much more money. You get a popular, good enough to be sold on its own tonearm and a heavy glass platter.

OobuJoobu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.