New Turntable Suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by slazechko, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It's not that vpi doesn't believe in anti-skate, it's being accomplished by the wires coming from the tonearm. If you let the arm float it will drift to the center. Also, it has an anti skate mechanism that you can choose to use.

There really is no bad choice at this price point.

toddrhodes likes this.
  2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I keep reading this in the forums,but what exactly does it mean? What is a "classic Thorens sound"?
    Wouldn't it come down mostly to the cart/preamp/amp?
    Not trying to give anyone a hard time, just wondering what I'm missing.

3. IanL

IanL Senior Member

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

There isn't one, Thorens can sound very different, I've owned a 125, several 150s and 160s, (I sold two 160s off last month), various marks of 166 and one or two others, there's a familial sound with the ones that are an evolution of the same concept, the 150, 160, 166, they are decent decks that pioneered the 3 point suspension path followed by Ariston, Linn etc., but none of them would worry a well set up Michell and nor do they sound anything like the 124s I've heard. If you get a well looked after TD 160 for under £200 then it's fantastic value and hard to beat at the price, especially with a better arm, but I really don't think it will trouble the most basic GyroDec either in sound quality or engineering, those Thorens were built down to a price, the money went where it counted, the mechanics, but not on the plinth etc., which is why there are companies rebuilding them and charging the same amount as buying a decent new deck. You are also correct about arms, I've listened to 160s with TP 16s, SME 3009s and Regas and the arm does alter the way they sound just as the cartridge and electronics do.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Dennis0675 likes this.
  5. TerryS

TerryS Forum Resident

+1 on the Pro-Ject Xtension 10. It has a very massive platter and plinth with good suspension. A good carbon fiber tone arm. When I ordered mine it came with the Sumiko Blackbird at a reduced price. The built in hinged cover was a big feature for me. The ability to order it with balanced XLR cables or easily upgrade to them in the future was a bonus.
    About the only thing I don't like is the anti-skate (weight on a string setup). It works fine, but seems a bit cheesy at this price point. The arm lift extension near the cartridge (the thing that sticks out the side if the arm so you can lift it with a finger) is just a bit too small and takes some getting used to. But the lift lever that raises and lowers the arm works great.
    The platter is so massive it takes several seconds to spin up to speed from a stop. After that it is rock stable of course. It does 33 and 45 at the push of a button, but 78 requires moving the belt from one pulley groove to another. I am impressed by the isolation (but not surprised, given the mass).

Terry

6. slazechko

slazechko Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey all. So I thought I'd post an update.

I decided to keep an eye on the used market for a couple months and see what popped up, and if nothing grabbed me would decide on a Gyro with one of the SME arms.

Well I lucked out! My local dealer had a pretty lightly used Michell Orbe w/ SME V combo come in through trade. All said and done it came down to right about the top of my budget, so I jumped on it! About 20-3o hours in, couldn't be happier! Still using the ortofon 2M blue I had on my concept, but I plan on moving to an MC (maybe Hana SL or something in the Benz micro line?) at the end of the year, once I've reloaded the audio fund a bit.

I've got some pics here: New Table

Thanks again for the help!

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That kind of worked out perfectly for you didn't it, well except it's a silver Orbe SE, I'll swap my silver SME IV for your black V which will go well with my black Orbe, we'll both be happy, you know it makes sense.:agree::laugh:

slazechko likes this.
  8. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Wow, that looks pretty killer!

slazechko likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.