New U-turn tonearm

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by telemike, Oct 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telemike

telemike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Introducing Orbit Arm 2 »

We are always looking for ways to improve. Since releasing the Orbit in 2012, we have learned a lot about tonearm design and manufacture. We have also received a lot of feedback from customers. Taking all this into account, our engineering team has spent the past year and a half working on a new iteration of our tonearm, which we have aptly named Orbit Arm 2 (OA2). We are pleased to announce that all new Orbits are now shipping with OA2.

Helom, Gretsch6136, troggy and 3 others like this.
  2. telemike

telemike Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Is there any consensus on the quality of the original Orbit arm? Is there any provision for anti-skating adjustment on either arm? It doesn't look like it in the above photo.

4. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I believe they'll be presetting it at the factory. You also can't really set the vtf on their arms either if you don't have a gauge. Probably for the best to have your cartridge chosen at the factory, just hope they can offer them at good prices!

PhilBiker likes this.
  5. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

The new tone arm does have anti-skate preset internally, and will work with all of their existing carts, including the new offerings. I've been doing a lot of research between a fully loaded U-Turn and some Pro-Ject models. I'm still not ready to pull the trigger on either, but I think it will happen before the end of the year.

PhilBiker likes this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have to give them props for improving the tonearm, but this TT still has a long way to go before I'd consider buying one.

krlpuretone likes this.
  7. displayname

Is that because you are generally playing in a class (or several classes) of table above the U-Turn, or because you have strong views towards others in the entry level market?

markshan, PhilBiker and Vinyl Addict like this.
  8. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

It's great to see U-Turn succeed. Happy to see them updating their product too, that's always a good sign!

Erik B., Manimal and Wounded Land like this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

See my equipment profile. Please, hardly running a high-end system over here. My TT is a consumer level DD model from the 80s. There are certain features on it (and other similar TTs) that I'm simply unwilling to give up for the price UTurn is asking. I also paid much less for it than a new UTurn.

Not to say UTurn doesn't offer value to the market relative to what else is available at the same price range for new TTs...they do. However, I'm not a fan, having examined one in person. Not wild about entry level offerings from Pro-Ject/Rega/etc. either BTW.

jeffsab, PhilBiker and displayname like this.
  10. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Does anyone think this is something, for someone in the entry-level market, to worry about?

I'm aware that anti-skate isn't an exact science, and the ideal force wouldn't be exactly the same all across a playing side anyway, but I'm wondering if this could (or should) rightly be considered a deal-breaker.

11. displayname

I think it depends on your long term upgrade path. Someone else explained to me that Pro-Ject uses 3 "levels" of anti-skate, but 90% of the time, the middle level will be used. U-Turn basically just picked the default to be that middle setting. I think if you are using any carts in their line, or any cart with same range of tracking weight, you shouldn't have any issues.

12. displayname

Here's some general questions about the new tone arm...

They've increased the size of the counter weight. They've added an anti-skate. They increased the length of the tone arm and started using new geometries and giving users options for more geometries. The physical construction is obviously still technically inferior to something like a Pro-Ject Carbon, but is it possible the new U-Turn arm might out perform the 8.6" arms found on pressings that are difficult to track? I've read some complaints of Pro-Ject, or other shorter armed tables, having tracking issues with challenging records.

I'm thinking the choices might be strategic as U-Turn seems to focus on something that sounds good and just works - for an affordable price. Is it possible this might be a better entry level philosophy vs trying to add high end features to lower end tables. I get that with the same cart, a Pro-Ject may very well produce a better sound. But if a challenging record skips or is miss-tracking, does it really matter?

PhilBiker likes this.
  13. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I share your concern - my main (office) system has a Realistic LB-440 (CEC Japan OEMed early 80s DD table) and the U-Turn that I examined at Barnes & Noble did not impress me. The "loosey-goosey" feel of the unipivot arm turned me off bigtime. As did the lack of a smart counterweight with indicators.

However, with this arm upgrade I've decided that the U-Turn will be a suitable table for my living room system. Plus I have a Shure stylus gauge so I can put a cart on. (I intend to load my universal mount Stanton L 737-E on an Orbit basic). I wouldn't replace the LAB-440 in my office that I use for needle drops, etc. with this table.

displayname and patient_ot like this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Post a review when you can. I'm sure some people would be interested to read your impressions.

PhilBiker likes this.
  15. PhilBiker

I'll do so. It's the only thing on my Christmas list so I expect it LOL. First thing will be "out of box" impressions with the included cart.

displayname and patient_ot like this.
  16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

First time I am hearing of tracking issues with a low-end Pro-Ject. A much more common issue, as I'm sure you're aware, is motor rumble (NOT AC hum that Pro-Ject addressed). Many Pro-Ject users don't even notice the motor rumble but it would drive me nuts, as well as other quirks. I have heard of tracking issues with U-Turns, but only on the Grado spec'd models.

17. PhilBiker

What I've read about U-Turns has specifically discussed motor rumble as being EXTREMELY low.

krisbee, Vinyl Addict and displayname like this.
  18. displayname

Yes, I have also read what feels like countless complaints of hums and motor rubble on Pro-Jects. But I know the internet also may make these seem more frequent than they might actually be. Interesting that you've heard of tracking issues with the U-Turn. I've actually only seen on in person, with a Grado black. It was able to track my single most difficult record without any issues. But then again, I have also been purchasing new, and I'm new to the hobby. Reading up on the options for my first upgrade has been a great project though!

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The tracking issues I mentioned probably have everything to do with the Grado cart and nothing to do with the UTurn itself. I don't know what record you were testing it with, but tracking issues with Grado carts are well documented. A lot of that might have to do with what VTF the cart is set at or the fact that not every Grado cart of the same model is 100% identical.

A friend has a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, was not impressed when I handled it nor when I listened to records on it.

Re: the rumble on Pro-Jects, has everything to do with flawed design.

PhilBiker and displayname like this.
  20. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I bought a n Orbit Plus last August for a system I use while working away on location for long periods. On the whole I'm pleased with it, it's capable of wry good sonics. The caveat is that I've added an isolation platform I bought here on the forum (a$700 product for $150) and an also using Herbie's Audio Labs Tall Tenderfeet ($66 for 4) in lieu of the Orbit's factory feet. This upgraded the sound significantly but did cost some money. Still, on it's own the Orbit sounds quite nice. I opted for the Ortofon OM5e cartridge and quickly upgraded the stylus to an OM10 for $35. That alone made a very big difference, and down the line I may replace that with an OM20.

I have had some tracking issues on the end of the first track or on the second track of a fair number of albums. Oddly some of these records appeared flawless. It may be that there's a certain resonance issue on that spot of the table, or perhaps some records are cut too hot or a combination, I really don't know. Yet I've also played some warped records that played perfectly, go figure. However this is a distinct minority of the records I've played, so it's something I can live with.

My biggest criticism is for the dust cover hinges. They are not stable when the cover is up, and it's very easy for the lid to suddenly slam down and damage a record while it's being placed on the platter. On the plus side I did note that the dust cover itself was of a higher quality, thicker plastic that I'd seen on an Irbit Basic I got for a friend a couple of years ago.

patient_ot and displayname like this.
  21. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

My daughter just pulled the trigger on the most basic model, so I am quite intrigued by any upgradability that can be done. I am already getting her the cueing lever for Christmas, and I look forward to seeing if she wants greater improvements down the road... as I will likely be very happy to oblige from time to time. ;)

troggy, Erik B., PhilBiker and 3 others like this.
  22. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I decided to contact U-Turn today about the forward skipping issue I've been having with more than a few records during the end of the first track on through the second track. I also reported my concerns about the hinges, as well as that my unit's plinth had quite a strong odor which I assumed to stem from the paint and varnish finish. That had begun to lessen significantly during my third month of having the table.

My note was responded to by Ben one of the company'a co-founders in just over an hour. He outlined a few things he wanted me to try, and asked for a few clarifications. The most significant thing was having me try and stretch the wiring by pivoting the arm 90 degrees in both directions away from the table, he provided a video link so I could see exactly what to do. However this action did not result in a change of the skipping issue.

Upon hearing back from me, Ben stated that he was concerned that the tonearm's bearings were flawed and said he would have me send the table in for a replacement of my arm with their new version 2 tonearm. A short time later another company Rep emailed me with an RMA shipping label, and return packing instructions. My turntable is now on it's way back to U-Turn, and hopefully within 10 to 12 days I'll have it back. I'm glad to have the opportunity to have my table fixed with the upgraded arm, and very much looking forward to hearing it soon.

U-Turn's customer service was first rate today. I hope this new arm wil be the solution to the issue and I can just focus on playing music, which the Orbit Plus does nicely.

One other note. I hadn't mentioned in my previous post that I also ditched the supplied felt mat and use a Herbie's Audiolabs Way Excellent II mat as I do on my Music Hall MMF-7. Out of curiosity today I threw the felt mat back on and was shocked to hear the stark difference the Herbie's mat made. It's probably the most significant, relatively inexpensive sound upgrade a Orbit owner could make.

Hogues, PhilBiker, mdm08033 and 4 others like this.
  23. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

These guys definitely seem to try to do things right by their customers. Hopefully, they stay "small" while hopefully still being profitable.

24. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Reading that kind of stuff just makes me want to support them even more.

Hogues, PhilBiker, mdm08033 and 3 others like this.
  25. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I'm a total newbie to TT's, or was when I bought mine on Black Friday 2015, but Ben guided me through the process. It was very helpful and I absolutely love my U Turn Orbit Plus. I always suggest them when somebody wants to get into the TT game.

PhilBiker, HiFi Guy and Vinyl Addict like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.