New U2 Album in 2014 (Supposedly)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bubba-ho-tep, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I like Ordinary Love! It would be cool if U2 reinvented themselves again and gave us a challenging and raw album but I have stopped caring too much about it. I just want them to make good music and I think Ordinary Love is a good medium sized single!

2. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

i like it too (more or less) its a good song but you now good not being great.... i truly doubt now that U2 can reinvent themselver i lost all hope, i mean the facebook stockholders reinventing themselves musically? no way....
    In fact i found Bono pretty annoying Adam is the coolest now, i could stand the macphisto character but now he behaves permanently like him. IMO hes not cool anymore in fact a little annoying but i'm gonna buy their next record of course maybe the iTunes version and that's all i'm now wasting my money in super deluxes editions like NLOTH anymore.

3. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

4. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I am sure they are running brainstorming sessions with marketing consultants on how to re-invent themselves to take advantage of the market segment left open after Justin Bieber's retirement. Apparently Bono is already looking for a monkey to bring on tour with them.

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Fascinating interview with Paul McGuinness: there are some of the usual "greedy" comments for those who like to pounce on those, but I found this passage very interesting:

http://edit.billboard.com/biz/artic...ards-2014-industry-icon-paul-mcguinness-on-35

Of course, I take the "they're making their best album ever" comments with a grain of salt, but the two interesting pieces of information here (to me, anyway) are that (1) U2 own 100% of their masters and copyrights and (2) McGuinness's belief that, because U2 didn't "get ****ed by bad deals", and now "own the keys to the car," as he puts it, they're "planning to drive it forever." At this point, you can't help wondering whether every album will be their last, but maybe they'll just keep going? Who knows?

Both U2 and R.E.M. really learned from the mistakes of previous generations of rock bands: they had good management and good legal advice from the beginning, and never had to deal with a situation like the Stones had to with Allen Klein basically stealing their entire 60s catalog, or like Lennon and McCartney had to with losing control of Northern Songs, etc. I think that's a huge reason why both bands lasted so long, and, as McGuinness notes, why U2 may keep going for a while longer.

6. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

24 hour free download of the new single "Invisible" on iTunes February 2nd. Bank of America donates 1 dollar each download for the (RED) cause.

7. Complier

Complier Senior Member

8. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Bizzare. Really like NLOTH. I struggled mightily with Zooropa and Vertigo

9. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...tter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

U2 are reportedly delaying the release of their next album until 2015 so they can schedule new recording sessions with producers Ryan Tedder and Paul Epworth, according to Billboard.

There were reports in 2013 that the album would come out last fall, but by November, industry sources were saying a spring release was more likely. Earlier this year, Bono told USA Today, "We want [the new album] to come out this summer, but you don't want to let anyone down."

"It seems to be taking longer for them to finish an album as they get older, but the great thing about U2 is that the whole of a record is always better than the sum of its parts," a source close to the project told Billboard. "That magic that the band always seems to capture. . . they have yet to capture it."

According to the report, the group had scheduled a tour that would've kicked off in September, but that concert promoter Live Nation is now rescheduling it for summer 2015. The group's last big trek, the 360º Tour, was also delayed, but went on to become the highest-grossing tour ever, earning $737 million in 2010 and 2011.

Last month, Bono told BBC host Zane Lowe, "Until it's on the radio or online, it's not real. With U2, our album isn't finished until it's in the stores. It's tricky getting us four boys across the line. I think our band has something and [fans] know we don't just put albums out. We do think about it."

In February, drummer Larry Mullen, Jr. blamed the album's delay on the group dropping everything to record a song for the movie Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom. The track, "Ordinary Love," earned the group an Oscar nomination and Golden Globe win. It has sold 115,000 copies to date and peaked at Number 99 on the Billboard Hot 100 and Number 45 on the Digital Songs chart. The group had previously collaborated with Epworth on a mix of the song.

Guitarist the Edge told Rolling Stone earlier this year that the group had "about 30 songs we're really excited about, in various states of being finished." He also said that six or seven of those tracks were "mixed and ready to go" and that the new album was inspired by the music that influenced U2 in the mid- and late-Seventies. "That's a rich period, one we've visited many times in the past," the Edge said. "But it's a very Dublin-centric record lyrically."

At the time, he said the group had a few titles in mind and underscored that there was no release date set. "But we're getting there," he said. "We're not, as we say in Ireland, up our own ****. But we do not want to let go of anything if we are not 100 percent happy with it."

10. 905

905 Senior Member

I'm lucky because I love every U2 album. I wish the new one was being released in April like I hoped, but I'll be there in 2015.
    Or 2016 or 2017, of course.

Rick H. likes this.
  11. oojavaguru

oojavaguru Forum Resident

Man, this hurts. Seeing U2 live has been some of the best concert going experiences I've had in the past 20 years. I know they are perfectionists, but I still hope that even some of the alternate studio sessions and work put in with other producers sees the light one day.

12. 905

905 Senior Member

I was really hoping for Songs of Ascent in late 2009 or 10.
    Maybe Bono and co. should just poop one or two albums out every year for a while.

13. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

And when it finally arrives, I'd wager we'll be asking ourselves, "All that wait for THIS?!"

14. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I'm a fan and to be brutally honest, I thought Ordinary Love and the new song that got the video were underwhelming, to say the least. So I don't blame them for going back to the drawing board because I'd hate to think those two duds were the best tracks they came up with.

Shame - I actually liked their last album, even though they should have included some of the outtakes "saved" for the aborted companion album instead of the three duff tracks in the middle: Stand Up, Get Your Boots, I'll Go Crazy….all three are ridiculously awful, especially following the string of great tracks that opened the album.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

And hear we go again...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...tter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

U2 Rep Denies Album Delays
    "U2's album is planned for this year [and] is still on track and touring plans haven't been confirmed yet," the rep says

[​IMG]
    U2
    Ethan Miller/WireImage
    By KORY GROW
    March 10, 2014 12:45 PM ET
    A rep for U2 says that contrary to recent reports, the group is still intending on releasing a new album this year. Last week, Billboard ran a lengthy article claiming that the group had booked new sessions with producers Paul Epworth and Ryan Tedder that would push the new LP and the group's planned touring back to 2015. A source is now telling The Guardian that claims of delays as a result of the new sessions were unfounded. "U2's album is planned for this year [and] is still on track and touring plans haven't been confirmed yet," the rep said.

The reported release date of the record has changed several times since bassist Adam Clayton forecasted a November 2013 release. Earlier this year, Bono told USA Today, "We want [the new album] to come out this summer, but you don't want to let anyone down." The group premiered the new song "Invisible," which Bono said was not intended as the first single for the album, during the Super Bowl.

Guitarist the Edge spoke with Rolling Stone earlier this year and said the group had 30 or so songs in various states of completion that its members were excited about; six or seven of those tracks, he said, were "mixed and ready to go." Musically, he said the record was inspired by U2's original mid- and late-Seventies influences. "That's a rich period, one we've visited many times in the past," the Edge said. "But it's a very Dublin-centric record lyrically."

The guitarist also said that the group had a few titles in mind and underscored that there was no release date set. "But we're getting there," he said. "We're not, as we say in Ireland, up our own ****. But we do not want to let go of anything if we are not 100 percent happy with it."

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Could we maybe merge all these "new U2 album" threads?

17. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I think at this point they need to go into a small studio for 3 weeks or so with a producer like Butch Vig (or someone like him) and bang out a "live off the floor" type album with few overdubs (like Petty & the guys did with "Mojo")
    Simple and to the point tight "rock" songs (maybe a few acoustic based numbers?)
    They're overthinking it and trying to be current and 'relevant' and when a band does that you end up with a piece of crap like Coldplay's last album that tried to be relevant/modern... and ended up being embarassing.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    JRM and Hep Alien like this.
  18. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

"First U2 were supposed to release a new album this year, then they weren’t, then nobody really knew what to think but there was some nice new music playing on the beach. Now an Irish Examiner feature asserts that the band’s as-yet-untitled thirteenth LP will arrive in November now that Bono has overcome a bout of writer’s block. Meanwhile, a tweet in Spanish from the Colombian branch of Universal Music Group suggests U2 will release something called “Sirens” in September. My Spanish is a little rusty, but the tweet seems to be saying Sirens is an album title, not a song title. Whatever it is, let’s hope it continues the return to form that was “Invisible.” "

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/stereogum/cBYa/~3/nWuez5ejjgI/story01.htm

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...n-despite-bonos-writing-struggles-637023.html

19. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I have been saying this for 15 years. Their "writing" style of coming in with fragments of half assed songs and "composing" in the studio with digital manipulation and loops has run its course many times over.

Come in with 12 finished songs that you can play start to finish.

JRM likes this.
  20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Sirens
    Invisible had a New Order vibe and so does the possible "Sirens" album title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.