New U2 Album Next Month with No Fanfare

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eyesoftheworld, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Pitchfork is equal to the guy behind Woody Allen and Diane Keaton in the movie line:

3. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

The only thing I ever paid for is a LED Football app that I had to pay for when I went to try to download the album. It was purchased in 2008 but my account did not say "mr" in front of my name so the paypal account was never charged.

The world does not revolve around Apple.
    Nor does it around Microsoft - a slow death just like iTunes.

4. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

i didn't know you were Mark Hosler...
    I am quoting him only.

5. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

No, not my case. I still love How To Dismantle. I never had any huge love about No Line, though.

Smiths22 likes this.
  6. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Stuart S likes this.
  7. oshfr

oshfr Forum Resident

heatherly likes this.
  8. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

It's a 4.5 out of 5 to me. There is no song - so far - that I feel like skipping.
    The album has also a nice plot...a fine conceptual idea behind it. Not a "forced" cinematic theme, as No Line has. IMHO, of course.

Phil147, heatherly and Havoc like this.
  9. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Well, you spend your whole life trying to make it to the top of the pile, once you're there you're necessarily going to be diverted into thinking about how to stay there.

Ironic, when you consider one of their very best albums came about when they dared to set the rule book aside (Zooropa),

heatherly and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  10. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

While admitting that my own perspective is a bit of an outlier in that I look at what's good in a record instead of what isn't, after discovering Pitchfork recently it seems a bit too cynical for it's own good, reminds me of Spin. To each their own though but it might explain the inexplicably low score for the album. Definitely didn't see the 5/5 from Rolling Stone though as it's normally reserved for "classic" albums, maybe Songs of Innocence will grow into a classic for me. So far I'd give it at least 4/5 and will definitely pick up the physical release with enthusiasm.

bferr1 and Claudio Dirani like this.
  11. serge

serge Forum Resident

i get it..they want to be old school/indie-ish...build it up slowly...grassroots release....release it under the radar but how am i supposed to know when it will come out?

12. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Is that sort of an emulator for the old Mattel Electronics games? I still have most every one of those in good condition and actually pick them up from time to time for a nostalgic bit of fun.

DrBeatle likes this.
  13. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

You will know about it because it is U2. They can release the album out of nowhere (with nothing of the usual fanfare like announcing the release date and title way in advance, lead single and previews in all kind of magazines) and all the media will jump on because it is a new release by U2. Is it warranted, just because of who is releasing in? That's another discussion, but U2 releases get attention automatically.

So trust me, when U2 releases their album, you will know about it. Even when they didn't announce it beforehand. :)

14. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Proper footwear required, of course.

15. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I refuse to click on Pitchfork's site but in their review did they do what they normally do in a scathing review and not even mention the band, album a songs within the first three paragraphs?

16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Any fans of the album on SH Forum love this album while not being overly familiar with the rest fo the catalogue. Just wondering if it's only past fans spending time with this. I'm aware that itunes albums chart is full of U2 right now.

couple minute behind the video I haven't seen referenced in this thread:
    https://amp.twimg.com/v/72c2a486-c8c3-4dfd-9cd7-57b64c3d7f37

I only have problems with them calling this "innovative" when no more than 5 acts in the world could get Apple to replay to their request to follow suit.

Depeche/Dylan/Cave/Madonna/Petty/Maiden/Cohen/D Gilmour/Knopfler have all toured with focus on latter career work. Not sure on Mellencamp/Kylie/Beyoncé. Maybe the Floyd tour in 1994 as well.

Prince "gave away" a couple hundred thousand physical copies of Musicolgy a decade ago. Plus the 2010 newspaper thing he did in the UK.

Serious fans now have to buy 3-4 copies of the album to get extras, which should NOT be applauded for an act with a wide international fan base who will get headaches trying to find everything. Vinyl/regular 2CD, Target Cd/Walmart Cds with retailer exclusive tracks. Bono also faces a looming PR nightmare if they do any kind of notable WM exclusive.

Bono has been doing a "false modesty" act for awhile. They could each improve their musical chops if they wanted. Infact Bono/Edge have arguably lost some of their guitar chops since 89.

A common phrase on u2 forums: "Bono says a lot of things". This should also be a warning against getting the follow up album soon.

Core lineups generally together for after 30 years doing top shelf work:

Petty & Band
    Mission of Burma
    Springsteen(Magic)
    Nick Cave & Band
    Iron Maiden

I think Golding Earring have been together super long without change, though new albums are not a factor.

Stuart S likes this.
  17. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

YES!!! It's on Android too now, I know you have a Kindle, its only 99cents. :pineapple:

I'm still pretty impressed with "Raised By Wolves". It their "Magnificent" of this album. It could have made a great single. The drumming is excellent, but the production does not do those Yamahas and Paistes any justice. The lyrics hit hard and true. This is the Bono I remember and admire.

I don't beLIEve anymore!!

Havoc and heatherly like this.
  18. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

Well, it has a Metacritic score of 83. The band should be very pleased overall with the reception to Age of Innocence. What I love about this album is it comes on strong with a great opening track and it closes with a great song. Sometimes I'm disappointed with the closing song on an album. They've done a great job with the tracklist on it as far as placement of songs and the momentum throughout.

19. Well, even with the "core group" caveat, don't forget that Mission Of Burma were broken up for 20 years, the Bad Seeds have had some significant lineup changes, and Iron Maiden had key members come and go during the '90s.

20. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

21. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

Well, ignore this. That was Age of Innocence, the movie. Oops.

Metacritic score is 70 so far.

22. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

After letting the album marinate in my head for a bit, coming back to it I like it more and more. I find myself having a song from Songs of Innocence stuck in my head quite often and I think that as a whole this album is more consistent and sonically varied than Atomic Bomb and NLOTH

littlelambdragonfly, JannL and bferr1 like this.
  23. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Well.................for this album I'm declaring myself "MEGACRITIC" who sounds his barbaric "Yawp!" across the rooftops of the world and everyone who hears it agrees that the record scores a 92!!! :goodie:

So now, the elderly East Indian man who happened to be standing outside when I let out my "Yawp!" believes the new U2 album scores a 92......only problem is that he hasn't the foggiest who U2 is. :(

Honestly.........I love this album more and more and more, I love the first 3 tracks then the 4th, the 5th and on and on and on. It puts me in such a great mood and I played The Miracle for the worship team at my church that I play bass for and we're going to work on it for one of our "kick-off" songs. Thank you U2 for making my week a lot better even though it was already a good one with Robert Plant, Ryan Adams and Interpol all offering great albums this week. 9/9/2014 was a great day! :bdance:

24. From twitter. lol

[​IMG]

25. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

First world problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.