New U2 Album Next Month with No Fanfare

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eyesoftheworld, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Just for clarification, is discussing U2's taxes considered political? Reason I ask is that I had spent some time researching it in order to correct a possible misstatement in the thread. Thanks!

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Probably not if you do it correctly, but almost every response is bound to be, so I recommend restraint.

3. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

You don't know this U2 fan at all, do you...?
    Artists I like don't get a pass every time. I have to keep liking their work.
    Sue me, I love U2's entire catalog.

LEONPROFF, Havoc, heatherly and 3 others like this.
  4. johnny 99

The 2 Toronto "Popmart" shows in the fall of '97 at the Skydome were incredible.
    Everything ran like a well-oiled machine and the band were firing on all cylinders.
    Ask anyone who was there; the place went nuts and a great time was had by all.

5. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

LOL...I thought I was being restrained. I guess perception is reality so I'll lean towards counting lambs until it's out of my system. Thanks for the help.

6. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Every time I see this thread title I think the name of the album is going to be "No Fanfare".

LEONPROFF likes this.
  7. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Yes, sadly. But I can't resist.......is there a detox for this sickness I've got for remasters and box sets???

Havoc likes this.
  8. johnny 99

U2's remasters of "Boy", "October", "War", "The Unforgettable Fire" and "The Joshua Tree" were all wonderfully done.
    The sonics, the packaging, the bonus tracks...were superb!

9. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

Just wait for the announcement it's being produced by Alan Smithee.

LEONPROFF likes this.
  10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

:laugh:

11. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Sounds like both of us could use a support group................"Hi...my name is uh havoc and I'm a reissue-aholic." For me, it's like buying a new album and I can only hope there's enough new material to allow me to convince myself I didn't just buy the same album twice.

LEONPROFF and Tristero like this.
  12. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I believe you're right. U2 seemed to be able to avoid that. I would have bought them the instant they were available whether I was aware of the loudness wars or compression anyways. Simple Minds discog seemed to get the same decent treatment with the exception of two where the master tapes were screwed. I wish they would get on the box set train with U2 cos I really like those box sets!

godslonelyman likes this.
  13. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I thought all the U2 remasters were pretty restrained as fall as brickwalling, excessive loudness, dynamic compression, etc. I will say some of the bonus tracks on the 2nd discs for War, UF and TJT, especially the "new" tunes seemed pretty harsh though.

Golden Richards likes this.
  14. brunofaetten

brunofaetten Forum Resident

My sentiments exactly. Nice to see there are a couple of other "Scottheads" (just thought of that - pretty good, huh?) on the forum. The album may be an overcooked turkey, I'll be happy just to hear the Scotts talking about it (I would prefer a great album, of course). I've heard every episode multiple times by now, and, quickly doing the numbers, I realise I have probably spent more hours listening to the podcast these last 6 months than I have spent listening to U2 over the last 20 years. That looks kinda sad on paper, but it's not, really. I think.
    Is it?
    Naaah.

jdrueke likes this.
  15. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Okay, now that was something I never expected to see. It's not that I'm some Rubin devotee but he seemed to be of sacred cow status. I have to admit I liked his work with Neil Diamond, not that it was any great production feat. Seemed like he just pressed "record" and made sure there was no atmospheric interference, not even the sound of a wayward moth landing on a drum kit across the room. :pug:

16. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

Not sad at all. That podcast quickly became one of my favorites. The last one with the commentary on the first episode was brilliant madness, as was the Stained Glass episode.

One Louder likes this.
  17. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Jakob Dylan feels the same way ;)

18. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

You don't sue someone for poor taste:(

19. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

As far as U Talkin' U2 2 Me goes, I got a kick out of how an actor from one of my favorite TV shows, Parks and Recreation was doing an album by album review just like the ones we do here. I also remember seeing Scott Aukerman in later episodes of Mr. Show.

jdrueke likes this.
  20. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Sheesh, what's wrong with simply stating you personally don't care for a band or artist and leave it at that? Why would you criticize someone for liking what they like?........especially a Sprinsteen lovin' champion of The Larry Mullen Jr. Band? The worst I could ever say about a band like U2 if I personally didn't care for them was that they weren't for me but I understand why others like them. There's some Rap and contemporary Country that I can't figure out how they've sold a single album from but would never tell their fans they have poor taste. Nothing good comes out of it.

To reiterate using modern vernacular..........................."Use some tact dude!" :tsk:

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  21. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I like 80s U2. Some U2 fans like Johnny99 just accept anything they do as wonderful. They suggest changing song order, when it was released or including B sides would have made U2s releases over the last 20 years great. Tact doesn't work for these people.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Telling people they have bad taste - and implying they're idiots - because they disagree with you DOES work? :help:

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  23. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

My point being that you can't expect people to like music in any certain way and offer veiled criticisms of their preferences as there's nothing to be gained from that. U2 is a huge part of my life, being able to look forward to an album or concert then enjoy that album or the memories of a show has made my life better and all I've had to do is throw some money their way. I can understand Johnny99's devotion in the same way I can understand why so many believe The Beatles or others can do no wrong.

At the same time, I can understand why others have had their fill but for either side of the spectrum to expect or in some ways, demand that someone be critical of an artist they take absolute pleasure in can only be an exercise in frustration. Just as forgiving someone who has caused you pain lifts a burden, being willing to accept that some might like someone's music to a point where the worst they can say about it is that sequencing needed work would be good for you as I have to believe that somewhere in there it doesn't feel all that great to be that offended by what someone else thinks of U2 and I have to believe that you didn't feel good when posting those comments. Something as subjective and trivial as someone's thoughts on music should not be the reason you don't look like one of those hap-hap-happy emoticons. :wave:

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  24. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I'm loading my discs on to a hard drive for use with my Oppo and for a second hard drive as a back up in case of a catastrophe. Working in the D's wondering how I got to own so many Doobie Brother's discs. I did not have any before the recent batch of AF and MOFI issues. Re-issue aholic and goldaholic.

25. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

As long as you're happy my friend. In today's world, we all need to work hard at it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.