New UHQR by Analogue Productions/QRP - Axis: Bold as Love*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt R.

Matt R. Forum Resident

It is interesting you mention the number of copies for Abraxas compared to the others. One thing that I noticed on the forum was there were a large number of people being displeased with the quality control in the most recent release. I wonder if there were no more than 6 times the issues or if increasing the number pressed caused the need to take some short cuts. With Abraxas there were a ton of complaints about cost but when word got out about how good it was there were numerous people upset that the did not press more. That, I think, is why I feel that I need to pick up a copy of this first title to see if they are worth it or not.

The presses that were described in the press release I think are the same as those used at Third Man. They are not as quick as others, but from what I understand, they produce superior records.

At the end of the day, each person needs to make the decision that is best for them. :)

2. Dom W

Dom W Forum Resident

I'm disappointed that these are not cut at 45rpm. I really think that the speed makes a real difference to the sound quality. So far, I'm not convinced to spend $100 on a 33rpm cut, one step or not.

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Just as I thought from the information out there. Remember Classic did a 4 Lp Clarity box for half that money only 7 years ago. I suppose Chas has to get back the millions he spent on that pressing plant!

FashionBoy likes this.
  4. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

So this will end up being just a collectors item. Bummer about not being 45.

5. The only certainty right now is the speculators speculating :shh:

Grippy and Bigbudukks like this.
  6. Personally, I’m putting some blind faith into these. I’d hate to miss out on a hit!

7. But like Stephen Hawking, I’m an optimist

8. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Optimistic also. I currently don't own this title and haven't owned in may years. Sacrilege I know...but seeing this revived my interest in hearing this again.
    I'm sure it's going to sound great along with the looks, or why go through the effort.
    As someone mentioned earlier, I'm also ok to get fooled one time.

rollo5 likes this.
  9. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Bit disappointed at no 45 cut and not being able to "experience" the one step process first hand.
    That said, I doubt that the one step process is that much of a deal as a stand alone, same for speed.
    So I'll even question the "flat profile" as making that much [if any REAL ] difference.

My one and only Clarity record shines [very brightly] but is that choice of vinyl, as a stand alone, likely to make such a difference?

Its about combination I guess, oh and the semi-auto press and [as I highlighted on page 3?], quality control! That must be the singular factor that will make a difference. What we should get here is the absolute attention to detail.
    So a BG mastered 33 1/3 cut mono on Clarity pressed on a semi -auto press up against the 2000 BG 331/3 standard black that was "knocked out" per standard album? Again same record against the re-press of the mono from BG only with a double check against black and orange vinyl! This will be the test of this title.

marcfeld69 and POGunter like this.
  10. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I wouldn't be surprised if a normal pressing at 45rpm follows when the UHQR is sold out.

rollo5 likes this.
  11. Hopefully different titles at 45, if that is the way it goes.

12. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I think Chad is shrewd and he knows if he cocks this up the rest of the line up wont sell past the collector of any given artist so runs would be mega small and not worth the time and effort.

If that did happen these will become mega collectable :)

13. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

2,500 if I recall correctly.

14. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

It looks to me like so many people bought Bill Evans and Donald Fagen to simply flip that they are actually depressing prices. Lot's of them on sale at any given time and I'm sure it will stay that way for a few years at least. They are also not as rare as Abraxas so buying them to flip sounds more and more like a bad idea. Might as well invest in Beanie Babies. :D

Matt R. likes this.
  15. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

After spending the weekend with the BG mono vinyl of Axis, I went ahead and ordered the mono UHQR.

The current version sets a high bar indeed. If the UHQR delivers it will be very special.

Now I just need to hit discogs to grab a copy of the BG mono AYE!

mick_sh likes this.
  16. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

That’s why I ordered UHQR mono. Bernie should know Axis mono master tapes better than anybody. If he can do even better than the current edition, then this will be the ultimate mono Axis.

Voodooman93 likes this.
  17. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

I'm not getting one, even though I like Hendrix and acknowledged that it will go up in value in the future.

My reasoning:
    1. Not a one-step.
    2. Not a 45 rpm pressing, single vinyl.
    3. Clear vinyl.
    *As I stated earlier, clear vinyl are hard to inspect. I have to apply very bright light with magnifier to spot what was wrong my Classic clear vinyl. Even some of the perfect looking ones has noise.
    4. Fancy box means nothing to me(at least throw in a scarf or something like Blue Note. ;) ).
    5. $100 + shipping fee.​

Tommyboy and markmck79 like this.
  18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Abraxas was 1000, I'm pretty sure. The Bill Evans was in the 2000 range.

Can anyone verify the numbers?

19. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I can verify my Abraxas copy is #1481

bluejimbop likes this.
  20. Grippy

Grippy Forum Resident

Santana Abraxas 2500 units
    Bill Evans Village Vanguard 3500 units
    Donald Fagen The Nightfly 6000 units
    S&G Bridge Over Troubled Water 7500 units.
    Up, up and away..........

21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Thanks. I sit corrected. I'm not sure why I thought the numbers were smaller on that first release.

In any event, the point is still worth questioning - Does one really need to spend $100 to get a great sounding version of a record? I'm spinning the 2LP (33 1/3) AP pressing of Tony Bennett Live at Carnegie Hall. It's killer. $27.50 from the recent AP 1/2 price sale. Aside from the beautiful quality Stoughton gatefold cover, nothing too fancy.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  22. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Wow, these Limited Editions aren't so Limited anymore.

ti-triodes and Grippy like this.
  23. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

24. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

Technically you can argue the cost vs value propostion all day, but if they sell out at that price it is under priced. So in Mofi's mind, they can increase the price they sell the box set for ($150..$200?) or produce more volume (which they have done). At these prices, it's not going to be a great value for everyone. As a business, you cannot think this way. You just need it to be a great value a specific number of people in order to sell the limited stock you have produced. I have a feeling the margin on these new UHQR sets is huge, but it will still sell out (...and sell for double on discogs). I personally think they should sell around $49, but that's just my opinion. At the end of the day, business decisions are made by businesses.

marcb likes this.
  25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I ordered the mono, not knowing that it is cut at 33rpm. I have the Classic and the Barnes & Noble colored vinyl (both Bernie Grundman). I may cancel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.