New Universal SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rspaight, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member Thread Starter

2. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Wow... Steely Dan - Gaucho! Cool! Had this been announced previously?

3. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

yep, many months ago.

4. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Lots of Peter Gabriel, Police and Steely Dan "Gaucho" too. It's really good to see that Universal is making more SACD software available.:thumbsup:

Just a side note: 11 out of the 37 titles are Dual Layer

5. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Kleiber/Vienna Philharmonic Beethoven Symphonies 5 and 7!!!:goodie: :goodie: :cheers: :righton:

The Gardiner's Holst "The Planets" looks like a keeper too.

The new Jayhawks albums "Rainy Day Songs" is listed but the format isn't. :confused:

And isn't American Records owned by Sony??:confused: :confused:

Some good stuff's rolling out all right.

Dan C

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I guess The Jayhawks are on the Lost Highway label now. When did American switch from Sony to Universal?
    Dan C

7. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Shhhhhh! If you quiet down and listen closely you can hear the sound of my money burning!:eek:
    Well, I already have all of The Police SACDs except the live one pre-ordered as well as the Peter Gabriel Up SACD and I plan on getting all of the others except Passion, as the only Gabriel I have on CD are Us, Passion and the Shaking the Tree greatest hits comp. In addition to those, I think I'm on board for all of the Cash SACD's and just about every Classical SACD they have listed there. OUCH! I think my wallet is starting to burn my a**e. The one problem I have about those Classical releases is that both of the DG SACD's I have now - Anne-Sophie Mutter Beethoven Violin Sonatas, Herbert Van Karajan Beethoven Symphony No.9 - were sourced from PCM masters, even the Karajan which is an analogue recording. I realise that most Classical recordings from the '80s to the present will be full digital PCM recordings, so that is unavoidable and I am still happy to be getting multichannel mixes of some of these recordings, such as John Elliot Gardiner's recording of Holst's The Planets - a recording I never thought sounded good on CD, but is a great performance - but to use PCM masters for analogue recordings is a bit ridiculous. I also wonder if any of the newer DG Classical releases they list will actually be DSD recordings, like the Phillips (another Universal label) recordings of Fischer's Dvorak Slavonic Dances and Symphonies No. 8 and No. 9 SACDs are?

8. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I am with GoldenBoy. A majority of these are going to be coming home with me on release day. All the Police, Gabriel, Cash, Jayhawks, Wallflowers, Steely Dan and Shaggy discs will burn quite a hole in my wallet.

The real ironic thing is that I recently got into the Johnny Cash "American" recordings. I started with "The Man Comes Around" on vinyl - and loved it so much I, within the last 3 months, bought the other three releases. I have "Solitary Man" on vinyl and the other 2 on CD. If I would have known these were destined for SACD (and hybrid nonetheless), I would have held off on purchasing the 3 earlier "American" recordings. I guess I can get a few dollars on a trade for the CDs once the SACDs are released.

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

At least there's one Jayhawks album arriving on SACD.
    I want ALL of The Jayhawks' albums on SACD, particularly 'Tomorrow the Green Grass' and 'Hollywood Town Hall'. :thumbsup: Maybe this is just the start.

Dan C

10. floyd

floyd Senior Member

If the Gabriel Live is not going to be hybrid and is stereo only I wish they would fill the disc up with music instead of doing only Highlights.

11. Rspaight

Very true. It would seem to me that would be a no-brainer, since they did it with the My Generation SACD -- the full 2-CD set should fit.

I imagine the fact that the European Virgin issues are hybrids might have something to do with it -- wouldn't want the Europeans to import the full Geffen version instead of getting the abridged Virgin hybrid.

Ryan

12. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

13. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Sony and Def American have never been affiliated. I believe the first Slayer album on Def American was a point of contention and that's when Rubin took the imprint to Geffen for distribution.

You may be thinking of Def Jam which was with Sony for a long time, but I believe that is a Universal/Island pairing.

14. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I'm not sure if this has come up before, but if ultimately all variations of Gabriel's Plays Live turn out to be the truncated "Highlights," there is one market with the redbook remaster of the whole thing--Japan. It is the mini-LP-style 2CD, Toshiba-EMI 66081.

Mark

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Actually Sony had distributed Cash's American Recordings.

16. Rspaight

I checked out my copies of the Rubin/Cash albums, and:

- American Recordings is on American Recordings, manufactured and distributed by WEA, catalog # 9 45520-2 (in a jewel case with the WB logo embossed on the back lower right hand corner)

- Unchained is also on American Recordings, manufactured and distributed by WEA, catalog # 9 43097-2 (WB logo jewel case)

- American III: Solitary Man is on The American Recording Company, manufactured and distributed by Columbia Records, catalog # CK 69691

- American IV: The Man Comes Around is on American Recordings, manufactured and marketed by Lost Highway Records, distributed by Universal, catalog # 440 063 339-2

So these records have in effect been on WB, Sony *and* Universal over the years. With WB and Universal, the label name is "American Recordings," and on Sony, it's "The American Recording Company." Whew.

Ryan

17. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

My copy of The Jayhawks' "Smile" has both the American Recordings logo and the Columbia "eye" logo as well. Weird.

No matter. As long as Universal seems to be on the SACD wagon, things should look pretty good.
    Dan C

18. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Anyone know what's happened to "Let's Get it On" by Marvin Gaye that was on the UMG SACD release schedule for early 2003?:confused:

19. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

20. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Shaggy is excellent. I'm playing it right now. Not a lousy song on it. They're all good. The "can you hear me now" is pretty funny, too.

21. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

From Harry Weinger today-

"I am bending one of my own 'rules' to let folks know, somewhat prematurely - as we are not even started yet - that Cal Harris will be joining us to in the studio to oversee a 5.1 surround mix of LET'S GET IT ON for the SACD format. Cal mixed the original stereo album in 1973.

I am personally thrilled. So I couldn't wait.

Reports from the surround room in 2 weeks..."

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Alright! Johnny Cash's American Recordings! Good deal!

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I like the John Hiatt release... can't wait!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.