New Van Morrison Release, "Keep Me Singing" (09/30/2016)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

None of the last Van albums are bad, he never made a bad album, but it would be great with a bit more variation from his usual r n b/blues leanings of late.

dee likes this.
  2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm soooo in.

fmfxray373 likes this.
  3. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Beautiful cover art. Good to see Van still at it. He's put out a lot the past few years compared to many other artists his age.

4. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I hope the cover is reflective of the contents - in so much that it seems autumnal, earthy, maybe a bit mellow, rustic, etc.

GoodVibrations47 likes this.
  5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Looks like that Steve Martin album from a few years back.

Sandinista likes this.
  6. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Astral Weeks, Pt. II. Kidding of course, the cover is very nice and I hope it's a strong set from Van the Man.

Sandinista likes this.
  7. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Nice! Even though IMO his latter-day output has been inconsistent, there are always at least a couple of tunes on each LP that are keepers. Looking forward to this one!

8. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

If nothing else, I love the cover art and song titles. Very classy!

9. dee

dee Senior Member

The wborl in the tapestry reminds of an ear and Van is the bird singing and chirping into them :). The edge of that branch looks like it has a sharp edge too!

10. dee

dee Senior Member

Keep It Simple remains a favorite 'sleeper' of all the ones of his I like.

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain and DTK like this.
  11. dee

dee Senior Member

In a his new world crystal ball? :)

12. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Yes sir.

13. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

One of the tracks is titled "Going Down To Bangor". Haven't we previously gone 'Down To Geneva' and 'Down to Monte Carlo'?

As stated above Van's recent albums have all been of a high standard if not truly top drawer. If you make a playlist of tracks since 'Days Like This' it is still a very good listen with some stunning tracks. Unlike some some other 'legends' I genuinely can't think of one Van album which I don't revisit regularly. Carry on Van.

DTK and Jack like this.
  14. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

I'm of the complete opposite view that I don't think Van's made a half decent album since "Magic Time" unless of course you love his seemingly non-stop boring r&b/blues rehashes that all sound the same to me. I will admit every album still has one or two gems but his days of releasing completely classic albums seems to have dried up with "Days Like This" or "The Healing Game" possibly. This new album judging from the lovely artwork (thank god he didn't put himself on the cover again!) and the slightly evocative song titles seem to hark back to those from the 80's/90's so fingers crossed the music lives up to the titles.

Casagrande likes this.
  15. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

Hopefully it'll contain at least one or two inspired tracks...

smilin ed and ruben lopez like this.
  16. windfall

windfall Senior Member

No-one who has been going as long as Van is still producing work that ranks with their classics from 30-40 years ago.

Wild Frank likes this.
  17. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The new and first album from Sir Van Morrison......

18. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

But Van is, IMO. Born to Sing is one of my top 6 Van albums, after only Astral Weeks, Into the Music, Veedon Fleece, Inarticulate Speech, and Street Choir...

fmfxray373 and Clarkophile like this.
  19. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I guess his deal with RCA was only for one album (his last duets project), since this is on Caroline?

20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

But but...Moondance....Saint Dominick's Preview....Common One...Beautiful Vision...Avalon Sunset? :)

Maggie likes this.
  21. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Well, that's good - I have not heard Born to Sing - but it is worth noting that of your top 6, one is recent and all the other 5 are from the 70s and 80s.

Maggie likes this.
  22. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

True -- however, I also loved the Astral Weeks live release (didn't include it because it's a live album) from 2009, and Down the Road might be in my top 10 as well (I only heard it for the first time recently, so I'm not quite sure where it sits). A stellar album. For what it's worth, I also got a lot of listening value out of Duets.

Those are all fine albums, I agree. It may well be that 3 or 4 of those round out my personal top 10. I own 22 Van albums (counting live releases) and there isn't one that doesn't give me satisfaction. But yes, strange as it may seem, I do consider Born to Sing more consistently thoughtful and expressive than Moondance, St. Dominic's, and several other of Van's more famous albums (e.g., Tupelo Honey is actually one of my least favorite Van albums, and I don't love It's Too Late to Stop Now either).

DTK likes this.
  23. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Bull Moose has the vinyl and cd up for a nice pre-order.

24. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

Glad to hear the new album will be issued on vinyl. I was disappointed Born to Sing - a very solid album - wasn't.

All the eras of Van are different; each has its own charm. Many of us have aged with Van and have enjoyed the journey, and probably tolerate his tendencies and excesses. Personally, the Astral Weeks live release captured a great live performance beautifully and certainly ranks highly for me. As do Back on Top, Healing Game, and Magic Time.

For other fans of Van's live performances - If you can find a copy of the Belfast concert from last summer that was produced by the BBC, you'll be pleased you did.

Amnion and Maggie like this.
  25. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

The last couple Van releases left me cold(Born To Sing,Duets),from his newest stuff Keep It Simple and the Austin City Limits live recording are very good in parts.
    Archival releases are another story of course!:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.