New York Dolls - possibly the only band ever whose live bootlegs beat the studio albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jkauff, Jul 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member Thread Starter

As much as I love the New York Dolls, I find myself listening to the bootleg live CDs more than the studio albums. I'm talking about things like French Kiss '74 and Hard Night's Day, which you can buy on Amazon.

Maybe they just weren't meant to be a studio band, or maybe their producers couldn't catch the energy, humor, and downright tightness that made them such a hit with audiences. These guys knew how to work an audience, and they were one of the all-time fun bands to watch.

If the Dolls never really did it for you, or if you've only heard the two Mercury albums, you owe it to yourself to spend a couple of bucks checking these out.

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Thanks for the advice! I will!

3. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

A Hard Night's Day is from the studio, it's not a live album.

4. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i think both their studio albums are great.i also saw them live twice.
    once in a small south jersey shore club in somers point.place was packed and rocking.
    then a few years later in a small theater in philly.place was empty they still rocked!

ruben lopez and DTK like this.
  5. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

This show at My Father's Place is probably the best live recording I've heard of them.

6. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I still love the 2 studio lps self title'd and Too Much Too Soon. The Shm cds from Japan of these are really good with excellent mini sleeves. Hard Nights Day is excellent. I would like to see Rhino do a box of studio recordings like The Stooges Fun House.

tremspeed likes this.
  7. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member Thread Starter

You're quite right, bad example. It's still great, though.

From Here To Eternity, for all its flaws, has some great live performances. Also available on Amazon.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  8. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Hard Night's Day is definitely my favorite Dolls release

C6H12O6 likes this.
  9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Mine too. It may be in the studio, but these were whole performances, recorded and performed "live" in the studio.

My second favorite is "Live in Paris" (or any of its numerous titles - it's been released so many times on different labels).

The two 'proper' studio albums are great, there's no mistaking they're great, but those two releases edge them.

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

"Où est la bibliothèque ?"
    :biglaugh:

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

What's the sound like on the French Kiss '74 release? Not necessarily in terms of mastering but record quality.

Are there any multi-tracked live recordings available? Wouldn't mind checking it out, but I put my bootleg ears to rest awhile back so I think I can only get through stuff that was recorded properly, or close enough to it :)

12. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

ruben lopez and TeddyB like this.
  13. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

I won't agree with this, as much as I love the dolls and their live stuff. I like the studio versions better.

That said, "Red Patent Leather", the NY Dolls live album, is the closest thing we have to the 3rd New York Dolls studio LP that almost happened in 1975, since sooo many of those proposed new songs appeared live here.

14. Simply awesome. Why didn't these guys take over the world, anyways? Maybe a little too far ahead of their time methinks...

ruben lopez likes this.
  15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I have that as "Seven Day Weekend" (Receiver Records 1992). Exactly the same thing I suppose.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  16. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

not sure
    Hard Night day is the Norton release

17. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The best thing I've ever read about The Dolls was by Paul Nelson, it was called "Valley Of The New York Dolls" and explains everything that went right and then wrong in heartbreaking detail. It can be found in the "Everything Is An Afterthought" collection of his writing. Some of the best rock journalism ever put down on paper.

mgb70, GetRhythm and Purple Jim like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.