New York Dolls "Too Much Too Soon" CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WarEagleRK, Jul 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which version is the best sounding of Too Much Too Soon? Is it the original CD from the 80's or the 2013 "The Legends Of Rock" vinyl replica CD?

Anyone heard both?

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. I can't say but those legends of Rock are way too loud and compressed.

Dino and joelee like this.
  3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

On the other hand, the '80s CD is mastered by Dennis Drake, who is highly esteemed here.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  4. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I have the 2005 Hip-O-Select issue, but that appears to be rather pricey!

melstapler and hurple like this.
  5. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I do not care for that one at all. Nor the debut Drake mastering. Very thin and bright.

I like the Hip-O Too Much Too Soon. It has the extended Jungle, though, which is different from the original release. I've read good things here about the Japanese 2010(?) with "Great Big Kiss" bonus track (a version previously only available on a vinyl compilation), but it's too pricey for me to seek out. I've been disappointed more times than not with modern Japanese CDs anyway. Almost always a clone or smashed re-remastering of a previous CD.

Anyone know if the "Great Big Kiss" bonus track is a needle drop?

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

This is the one I have too. Sounds great, but it was limited release... so, yeah... pricey now.

7. WarEagleRK

Thanks for the info everyone.

I picked up the "Legends of Rock" version this week, but am not happy with the sound. The Hip-O one is out of my price range. I guess I will look for the original 80's CD release and compare.

I had never owned Too Much Too Soon so I had nothing to compare this version to.

8. swsix

swsix Member

I just got this, the Hip-O Select version and agree it's really a great sounding disc. Think I read that the 1st album was also done around the same time but remains unreleased.

Guy E likes this.
  9. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Count me also in owning and enjoying the Hip-O Select version of Too Much, Too Soon. Though the original Dolls had a short life, they left behind a legacy for sure. Along with the Stooges and the MC5, they were one of the best proto-punk groups going.

Jimmy B. and Lonevej like this.
  10. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

I had no idea about this!
    I found a 2016 SHM on Discogs for $25 [the 2010 pressing was $41 for the lowest]
    When it arrives I will let you know if it's a needle drop or not.

rnranimal likes this.
  11. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Sorry I don't have the Legends of Rock. Great album that I have numerous copies of. The best I think is the SHM cd from Japan in a mini sleeve, likewise the debut album. I have high resolution downloads from Acoustic Sounds of both and they too are wonderful in my opinion.

12. WarEagleRK

Strange how my thread from over a year ago suddenly came back to life. Thanks to everyone for the info though.

13. Flaming Torch

Good idea for a thread sorry I had not searched it out earlier. For many years there was only the one cd available and that I believe was only in the USA. Mine is an import copy and this cd started to go for over £30. If I recall correctly Too Much was redone on vinyl before any further cds versions whilst the original cd was out of print. Whoever currently owns these 2 albums could put out a nice box with the albums along with demos and studio outtakes.

14. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

The 2010 Japanese SHM-CD is the best one to me. Great Big Kiss sounds better than it did on Night of the Living Dolls. They also did the debut. The HD downloads are pretty good. Maybe they are from the Hip-O remasterings?

The Culture Factory ones are, as usual, lousy.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Cool, I look forward to finding out. I don't think I've ever heard that version of "Great Big Kiss" but I've read that it's superior to the other versions.

16. TheLoveDrags

I had it on cassette back in the day. A long time ago. It's from the demo sessions for Too Much, Too Soon.
    They recorded 12 or 14 songs. All that's been released it Great Big Kiss on Night of the Living Dolls & Don't Mess With Cupid on Rock 'n' Roll.
    I wish they would just release the whole thing, either as a stand alone release or as a bonus disc with a re-issue of Too Much, Too Soon.
    From what I've read, they also recorded Teenage News, Too Much, Too Soon & The Milkman [Chatterbox].

17. TheLoveDrags

Do you happen to know if the 2016 pressing I just bought* is the same master?
    * Fingers crossed. I have yet to hear back from the seller.

18. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I don't but they I think were re-released at some point in jewel cases. Good luck!

19. Flaming Torch

Absolutely. A Stooges style Rhino Handmade box of this albums sessions would be wonderful.

brianvargo, keef00 and DTK like this.
  20. Flaming Torch

I would think the mini SHM cd albums from 2010 and 2016 are the same mastering as per the information on the ebay site of one Japanese ebay seller. I only have the 2010.

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  21. TheLoveDrags

I forgot that "Lone Star Queen" on "Rock 'n' Roll" is also from those sessions.
    So they've teased us with 3 tracks over the years! lol

22. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Me too. I wish the debut had been released with the same mastering engineer's work.

rnranimal likes this.
  23. TheLoveDrags

Do you have any opinions on how the debut from this series sounds?

24. art

art Senior Member

Original CD. The hi-res download is good too.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  25. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Very good also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.