SH Spotlight Newbies getting started playing vinyl, please avoid mistracking & resulting groove damage!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 12, 2009.

1. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Well-Known Member

I'm quite confused by the categories. Maybe these are just down to brand names but are Micro Line, Micro Ridge, Van den Hull etc. in a category different from Micro Line/Fine Line? I have an AT95e and a Denon DL-110.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your Host Your Host Thread Starter

Great "one-microphone" record.

kozy814, McLover and The FRiNgE like this.
  3. jkm

jkm The Medium is the Massage

Maybe this is the place to ask this? In the early 70's I had a Dual turntable with a Danish cartridge which might have been a B&O SP-12. It would drive me crazy whenever I played Sticky Fingers and the opening guitar of Brown Sugar would come on, and there'd be bursts of distortion around the opening notes only. I never knew why. I assume mistracking? I can never hear that song without remembering that awful distortion.

4. Beachtraveler

Beachtraveler Active Member

Wait, so those who told me that elliptical was the way to go were full of ****? Damnit. I swapped out a conical for an elliptical based on that advice. I have a Technics SL-Q3 Quartz Lock Direct Drive automatic turntable with a Shure M44 cartridge, with a Jico elliptical stylus. Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive stylus to fit this setup? Also, while we're at it, a preamp? I got a self-labeled "cheapo TC-400"preamp with my current setup and wonder how much better it would sound with a better preamp (if at all).

Rest of set up is a Denon AVR 2300W with Paradigm 7 v11 Monitor series towers, center channel, and Sub 10.

5. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Forum Resident

I would use the Jico on Lp's, and put the original M44-7 or G conical (whichever you had) back on it for 7" 45 rpm singles.
    Doing that - you'll be good to go.

McLover likes this.
  6. Klassik

Klassik Forum Resident

The advice I'd give to anybody thinking about getting into vinyl or back into it is to do what experts did in the olde days which is to get into cassette.
    Just pop the new copy on the turntable, stick a Chrome cassette in and press the red button. That way you keep your vinyl in great shape and won't need to go shopping online for reissues when the internet revival starts.
    TOP TIP

7. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

My record playing set up is cheap and humble but I think it's well matched. It's a Goldring GR-1 turntable (made by Rega) and a Denon Dl160 cart which I love how it sounds. I never imagined such a cheap combination could outperform an Oppo BDP-93 playing SACD's, I've tested it with Roxy Music's Avalon on LP record and Jap SHM-SACD, record wins.
    No mistracking and no inner groove distotion on the GR-1/Denon DL160.

8. Beachtraveler

Beachtraveler Active Member

Anyone else care to weigh in on the Jico stylus? I don't listen to 45s, so LP only use.....

9. 389 Tripower

I don't have any Jico products - at least yet, but if you search the internet, and look through other relating threads, you will discover that Jico makes very good quality Styli. So as long as yours is in good condition and not worn, should be no problem.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your Host Your Host Thread Starter

Dis!

Licorice pizza likes this.
  11. McLover

McLover Forum Resident

A note: Cartridge and tonearm must be complimentary to each other and match. Compliance and application matter. Sometimes cheaper cartridge on high end broadcast tonearm can out-track multi-thousand dollar cartridge on mismatched tonearm. Too many people buy high end expensive cartridge and install it in a tonearm which has no business using this. Some of the best record reproduction I've heard has been on broadcast tonearms like the Audio-Technica ATP 16-T and Shure M 44-7 cartridges or M 75 Type II EJ and I've heard high dollar moving coils and Shibatas with more distortion or tracking issues on tonearms unsuited to them. Match the cartridge and stylus to the tonearm and the records you play. Mistracking from mismatches is mistracking. Sometimes cheaper can be better. Sometimes better tonearm with less expensive cartridge tracks better with less distortion and no mistracking. Listen to reason and good skilled advice. I have over 45 years of know how in broadcast engineering (and much of this involves reliable tracking and playback of records in failure is no option environments in AM and FM broadcast environments, disco and night clubs, and physically challenged user applications). Never mistrack your record investment (You paid good money for them, why not make those records last you many years of pleasure) ?

389 Tripower, bozburn and The FRiNgE like this.
  12. 389 Tripower

A couple of years ago I bought an "NOS" Stanton 680EL. (Mark II Version) all in original packaging. This is a "larger" elliptical at 4x7. I thought I'd try it out on my Dual-1219 with some 45's - especially the stereo ones from around '69 and up. It tracks from 2-5 grams or so, so I can auto-stack with it at 3.5g. Wow - Impressive! I think I may like it as much or maybe better than my Shure M35x, at least for stereo 45's. It does real well on styrene or vinyl, and sounds to have less inner groove pinch and a more balanced tone - maybe less "colored" than the Shure's.

Problem is - replacement styli for the vintage Stanton's are getting hard to find, at least at a fair price.

The FRiNgE and McLover like this.
  13. McLover

McLover Forum Resident

Very true on the stylus situation. I loved and still love the Stanton 680 EL, and it's a very high performance, rugged cartridge which puts up with spastic me better than anything ever made. If I could get genuine styli, I'd use this option as my daily driver.

389 Tripower likes this.