Newbury Comics Limited Colored Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whaiyun, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently signed up for their newsletter.
    Are their colored released worth it? Pressing quality? Sourcing material?

Interested in the new pre-orders, Joan Jett Greatest Hits and Allman Brothers Band Live at American University.

Thanks in advance

2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I buy quite a few. (Charlie Brown, Little Richard, Jimi Hendrix, etc.)
    Ive never had an issue with the sound. However, there shipping leaves much to be desired. The Jimi Hendrix I preordered. It arrived in an LP box, bouncing around inside the box. The 200 gram record split the spine. They would not exchange it online and the store does not exchange online purchases.
    Now I just make sure I buy it in the store when I see it.

3. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I don't know if they are "worth it" really. I've only bought two (Modest Mouse) and have often been tempted by them. The thing is that you can usually get a regular pressing of these for as little as half off what they charge. They often take albums that are easy to find and press them on limited color, creating a bit of a false demand for them. That being said, a number of their pressings are worth quite a bit (the Modest Mouse and Pearl Jam for example go for a lot of ebay).

It all comes down to what you want. If it's an album I don't have yet and really want, I'll consider spending a bit more on a limited color version. The quality of the pressings that I have at least are fine.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  4. My only qualms are the fairly high prices, and their "limit of 5" policy that seems designed to encourage flipping. The pressings themselves are good in my experience, and they sure can be nice looking - like, the recent Elvis and Velvet Underground albums were real purty, but also sold out by the time I found out about them. :mad:

5. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

It's lower than 5 now, I believe - I think Velvet Underground had a limit of 2, but I can't remember for sure.

6. parisisburning

parisisburning Well-Known Member

I see no problem with limiting it to 5 or 2. Keeps the parasites from jacking up the prices on ebay down the road.

7. Vinyl Addict

I paid $22 for little richard and $20 for Charlie Brown christmas. Jimi was $25 I think. Prices dont seem to high to me. Esp when some are 1 of 500.
    Plus its just a fun store to shop in.

8. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I just bought the Allman Brothers but I know nothing of these guys at Newbury
    so hoping for the best!

9. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident Thread Starter

I saw those too, but then I got Little Richard on MOFI for $30 and Charlie Brown by Analogue Productions for $30 as well....

Darn my lust for colored vinyl!

greelywinger likes this.
  10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I've had my eye on a few T Rex colored vinyl from Newbury Comics.
    For me these are cool to look at, but I'm not expecting audiophile quality.

Darryl

11. Vinyl Addict

Why not? Because of the color?

12. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

The T-Rex are sold out online. You might find them in their stores but it's a crapshoot. eBay is also a possibility, but gouging is rampant on these since they're limited editions.

13. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I've got a number of them. The AQ ranges from superb to so-so. Talking Heads, Velvet Underground, Hendrix, Thelonius Monk, T. Rex and CCR all superb. Rocky Horror sucked- bad sound and scratchy. On the whole, they're worth it, IMO. The vinyl is extremely quiet for the most part. They do sell out fast so it's worth getting on the notification list and ordering quickly. Velvet Underground sold out in 1 day!

I pre-ordered the new Allman Bros today.

quicksrt likes this.
  14. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i haven't had any problems with the releases i bought, but they are coy about revealing source information.

additionally, their shipping charges are outrageous.

15. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

They have nothing to do with the mastering, or source material, or pressing, etc. they simply contract a portion of a pressing that was already happening without their involvement. It's a fancy way of saying they have a store-exclusive variant.

So as you can imagine, some research needs to be done. The problematic records will be problematic on colored vinyl or not, ie. The recent Elvis Presley record was determined to be DSD sourced, the Velvet Underground also from digital, etc. whereas the Hendrix Are You Experienced on purple is the same version currently sold by Experience Hendrix, cut from the analog master tapes.

So ymmv. I'm not against paying a little more for a visually appealing record that's somewhat rarer, that's all part of the hobby, but the problem is that most of these are records that I want nothing to do with regardless of color. If I want digital, I'll go digital. I suspect a lot of the reissue titles are NOT cut from analog sources, but that ball is in the labels' court.

16. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I would agree with this , most of the Lp's can be found a lot cheaper on regular vinyl , i have bought 2 of their pressings & they were certainly good .................But say a copy of al greens greatest hits for $25 ?

lesterbangs likes this.
  17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I like the Newbury Comics colored vinyl and they ship overseas for high but not outrageous prices. I try to limit myself to albums that I don't otherwise own (or don't own on vinyl). It's given me an excuse to purchase some highly regarded indie titles that I missed the first time out.

18. serge

serge Forum Resident

I'm just not into colored vinyl...

the GBV one sold out in a few hours and even I a huge GBV fan didnt hear about it til it was too late..that was frustrating but you know what..I'd rather have it in black than clear vinyl anyways so it saves me the money

Coricama likes this.
  19. serge

serge Forum Resident

i prefer newburys autographed cd booklets but they are getting rid of that in favor of the colored gimmicky vinyl

20. Vinyl Addict

Why would you want to but a pre-signed cd booklet? Theres no fun in that

eric777 likes this.
  21. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

If you have the choice of black vinyl and coloured vinyl, pick the black vinyl for less surface noise and better sound. Pick coloured to put on your wall.

22. Vinyl Addict

23. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Not true. In fact there are colored vinyl formulations with a lower noise floor than most black vinyl. There are good and bad examples for each.

It would be more accurate to say, pick the digitally sourced vinyl to put on your wall, and play your older pressings for better sound.

Marc Perman, wrat, quicksrt and 9 others like this.
  24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I bought the signed Johnny Winter Career Box and he passed away a few months later. I treasure it.

25. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I haven't purchased any of them, from anywhere, but there are a few places offering a similar thing for some releases. If someone likes the artist enough to actually pay for their CD (this is 2015 afterall) why shouldn't they buy the cd at the place that has it signed as opposed to the one that doesn't? Is the cd jacket now somehow defaced?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.