Newbury Comics Limited Colored Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whaiyun, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Added CCR Cosmo's to the cart. Almost there!

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The longer term lp collectors find less and less stuff we really need out of the reissue things. But I love colored vinyl!

3. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bayou Country is also mastered by SH/KG.

4. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Order came in nice and quick and in excellent condition. The Hendrix is AMAZING

Clanceman likes this.
  5. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Opened up the Sufjan Stevens Illinois (the normal version, not the $50 special one!) and lp and behold I see the glorious KPG @ CA in the deadwax! Sounds fantastic.

6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

20% off online sale today, code FAVERECORD. Not sure there's anything I'm dying to have today, especially to reach the $75 free shipping

GentleSenator likes this.
  7. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Unless the free shipping minimum is reached, Newbury's high shipping charges essentially negate whatever discounts they give you.

James Bennett likes this.
  8. guidedbyvoices

Yeah I usually buy once a year when I have a big enough list to get from them to push me over $75. I bought a bunch a few months ago, probably not buying today. I forget, do they charge tax to those out of state?

Edit - just checked and they do charge tax

9. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Yes, I had forgotten about the tax issue as well. On a separate topic, does anybody know why Newbury will not send their autographed CD booklets to California addresses? That seems strange to me but they must have a reason.

10. guidedbyvoices

Some California law but not sure what. Same reason they no longer say the colored vinyl’s limited quantities. They’ll answer the question on twitter, but no longer say it on the sticker

oldjollymon and Bob J like this.
  11. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

They have changed this, somehow the CA law changed, and are now putting pressing numbers back on the site. Not sure about autographed stuff to CA tho.

And FYI, today only (October 30), there is a 21% sale online only. Seems to be no code necessary. I have 4 I've patiently been waiting to pick up so I'm taking advantage for sure.

12. guidedbyvoices

On twitter a month or two ago they said California changed the law and they put pressing quantities back online.

I thought about the sale but nothing I’m desperate for, and saving for some gear, so I’ll wait till next online sale. Though I see Wye Oak’s Civilian is available again for the first time in ages

BeardedSteven likes this.
  13. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

14. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Anyone pick up any of the Zappa color vinyl LPs?

MrRom92 likes this.
  15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I ordered in advance, no shipping notice yet.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    John Bliss likes this.
  16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

My order for Hot Rats was canceled yesterday by Newberry. I quickly sent an email to cancel the other item as well since I only ordered it because I was ordering the Zappa.

I figured they ran out really fast and I missed out. But in the email confirming my canceled item they mention a defective pressing issue. So all of the Hot Rats pressing might be DOA.

They did not offer to keep me in the loop about a repress. So sad!!!

But I am going hunting for Alice Cooper's Killer this weekend on colored wax! At least I've got that to look forward to.

John Bliss and mestreech like this.
  17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yeah mine was canceled and they said the whole Hot Rats run was pulled. Bummer but oh well it was really just a novelty for me.

I am still lamenting that I slept on the Tom Waits Mule Variations, however, which sold out in 24 hours while I was deciding to place an order.

18. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Maybe not. You know it doesn't come out until Tuesday, 1/23, right? Unless someone accidentally puts a copy out early.

quicksrt likes this.
  19. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

They must not like you... :)
    Here's what mine said:
    "When the pressing of Hot Rats is confirmed in the future, we will once again make these available for purchase via newburycomics.com. We will notify you with early access to offer you the chance to purchase at that time. We apologize for the inconvenience."

20. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Shame about the Hot Rats, as that’s the one I really wanted. But I can confirm their pressing of the other 2 are top notch all around, both look and sound great. I have NM originals and I wouldn’t lose sleep over replacing them with these new ones. Really hope they get to redo Hot Rats and use the same mastering they originally were going to use, from what I understand it was supposed to be Bernie Grundman’s cut for Classic Records from 10 years ago.

John Bliss likes this.
  21. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Does anyone notice a lot of titles are seemingly out of stock and don’t even show up in searches? Even recent ones that I don’t think sold out that quickly. Is it possible they pulled titles from the store during the sale? I was hoping I could buy their version of Graceland.

22. guidedbyvoices

Always possible. I did look through their exclusive stock a few weeks ago though and noticed some titles I’d previously bought that had been up for ages were now gone online. For example Miles Davis Steamin or father John misty’s Fear fun. So I doubt Graceland was pulled this week, it may have disappeared a while back.

MrRom92 likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I got the notice that the new repressing was about to become available, and yesterday I got the shipping notice my copies are on the way to me now.

I pray that this is still a BG/CB mastering job, and not a new one.

24. Echoes Myron

Joe Travers confirmed it is the same as the black vinyl. No doubt it is just a new pressing run from the same plates.

Zappa reissues coming on vinyl.

25. Echoes Myron

Hot Rats is the BG cut and sounds great.

John Bliss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.