Newbury Comics' Tenor Madness Cut By SH/KG!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AnalogJ, Apr 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959 Thread Starter

There was a flash Newbury Comics vinyl sale of "Buy 2, Get 1 Free". They had a bunch of OJC jazz pressings, but specially done for Newbury Comics on limited edition colored vinyl. I bought 2 of them, as well as the 2015 RSD release of David Bowie 1966.

The prices to begin with were surprisingly low (the Bowie was $11.99). While several of the OJCs were $13.98 - 15.98).

One that caught my eye was Sonny Rollins' Tenor Madness on red vinyl. This was one of my purchases.

I got home and checked the dead wax information, and there, written out in full is Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray. I haven't listened to it yet, but I have a feeling I got a bargoon.

The other album I got was The Quintet, a 1953 live set, this one on clear vinyl. Interestingly, both OJCs had the Fantasy Records address on the back (Some now have Concord Records). All 3 cost me just over $30 total with tax.

Tremaindous and GentleSenator like this.
  2. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Wonder if they somehow licensed the stampers from Analogue Productions.

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I think they were old DCC stampers?

Laser Red and marcb like this.
  4. AnalogJ

I didn't realize that DCC did Tenor Madness. Anyway, not bad for just over $10. Of course, with colored vinyl, we'll see how the vinyl sounds.

5. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I have this; it sounds very good.

The NC teal vinyl pressing of Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus is also the SH/KG mastering.

6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I'm patiently waiting for their next online sale, and saxophone colossus and tenor madness are high on my list.

riverrat likes this.
  7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

awesome; good to know!!

my fear with these jazz titles is that they're pressed at United, and well...

8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The OJC black vinyl for Saxophone Colossus and Tenor Madness should be pressed at RTI, or at least they were many years ago. If they are RTI they will have the multi digit RTI identification number in the dead wax. And United will have the U. The one thing that is a disappointment is the very low quality (including blurry album art), flimsy jackets.

GentleSenator likes this.
  9. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

Online sale today for Newbury Comics 20% off use the code PARTY

hvbias and guidedbyvoices like this.
  10. guidedbyvoices

You know it! Bought and grabbed a bunch of others - miles workin/steamin/cookin/relaxin, love supreme, yo la tengo

11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

@AnalogJ can you tell us where the red vinyl for Tenor Madness was pressed? Thanks.

I'm starting to have withdrawals over selling my AP 45 rpm Hoffman/Gray cuts for Saxophone Colossus and Tenor Madness :laugh:

12. AnalogJ

What mark on the vinyl would tell me? I can tell you that the inner sleeve it arrived in is one of those thick, waxy translucent plasticky sleeves which RTI tends to use, so I supposed, I wouldn't be surprised if they pressed it. Having many Music Matters pressings, which were all done at RTI, the earlier ones came in these pink, waxy plasticky translucent sleeves that left a residue on the records. They changed to the clear, translucent ones, but I still put them into MoFi sleeves or similar "rice paper" ones.

Fender Relic, Laser Red and hvbias like this.
  13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I think the sleeve is a pretty good indicator. I'm not at home so I can't check the RTI numerical code, but if you've seen enough of them you'll know it :) And the person that etches it in the lacquer writes very neat.

As long as there is no U in the dead wax it is not a United pressing.

GentleSenator likes this.
  14. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

wow, this is excellent. at the price it's going for i can't possibly pass this up.

hvbias likes this.
  15. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i sure wish owners of other newbury jazz titles would update discogs listings with matrix info. they have some pretty great prices on those titles.

16. guidedbyvoices

Is it safe to assume the newbury editions of tenor madness and saxophone colossus are both mono? The discogs entry for colossus says stereo but that doesn't seem right

17. guidedbyvoices

Can't edit my post - based on what I can tell, pre 1957 van gelder even reissues have to be mono so the 2 sonny's and the miles cookin stuff are mono.

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Same here, have both. Both are RTI pressings with DCC stampers and sound very good. This is just pure luck and I would not count on other Newbury OJC pressings to have previously released audiophile label stampers. I think one or two of the CCR releases used AP stampers, but don't quote me on that. Seem to remember a thread here about it...it definitely wasn't all of them, just one or two.

19. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Newbury's Exclusive CCR's Cosmo Factory and Bayou Country is also mastered by SH/KG FYI

Laser Red and patient_ot like this.
  20. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yeah, the others are definitely not. it's a steal for these two, however.

21. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Are there any good qualities about the pink waxy sleeves? Do you think the waxiness is an anti-static or just....waxy:shrug:

I'm curious because I just received 5 AP 45 Blue Note LP's and wondering if I should keep the pink or go Mo-Fi ? I didn't get any static feel or sound when I pulled the first few out to play.

22. AnalogJ

They are anti-stati, but can leave a film on the record. Get the MoFi sleeves.

Fender Relic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.