Newish (since the '90s) speaker upgrade on a budget

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by goldwax, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio Thread Starter

I've just got ten-year-old Arcam receiver and the difference over my '80s separates (Yamaha C-45 preamp and Kenwood Basic M2A power amp) is astonishing.

I love my Boston Acoustic A150s, but am wondering if there are any newer ('90s to current) speakers that will be a big jump up in sound AND that cost not much at all new or used, say $300 tops.

Floorstanders or bookshelf, it matters not.

If you're going to nominate a speaker, please mention how it differs from BA speakers generally, or even better, the A150s.

2. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

i like old kefs - the little reference guys from the 90's are cheap. power hungry though.

goldwax likes this.
  3. goldwax

Thanks for the input. Are those KEF's $300? The Reference 1s that are available now seem to be quite a bit more than that.

Any other current cheap speakers that can give A150s a run for their money?

4. jeanralphio

jeanralphio Well-Known Member

I haven't heard your speakers but for around $300 there are only a few legitimate options. Either, elac B5, elac B6, or wharfedale diamond 10.1 or diamond 10.2, or diamond 220. You're gonna have to trust the random internet guy because I've done a lot of research. The ones I listed are the best speakers in that price range, new.

goldwax likes this.
  5. goldwax

Thanks! I have taken note of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s, which can be had new for $300 a pair. My problem is deciding if they would be an upgrade to the A150s or not. I wonder where I could even audition something that inexpensive...

6. goldwax

Let me just thank you again, this time for the Elac recommendation. I didn't realize that these were the new Andrew Johnson designs. Very cool.

BeauZooka likes this.
  7. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

As a loudspeaker engineer, let me say "difficult"-not impossible, but not easy.
    I'm know those old Bostons, they sounded pretty nice back in the day. Without hearing them again, I'd say their shortcomings could be:
    - Rotting foam surrounds: are yours OK? I stumbled on this http://www.simplyspeakers.com/boston-acoustics-speaker-foam-edge-repair-kit-fsk-10a.html but don't know more about it.
    - The integration between the drivers not as good as it could be, since crossover technology/technique has advanced a lot since then.

Sometimes there are Andrew Jones Pioneer or maybe soon Elac towers, or some items that go on clearance at Audio Advisor or Crutchfield. But again, $300 is a very tough nut new, and used is a nice theory but shipping costs mean you have to get lucky locally (and $300 new maybe very tough, I'm not sure about shipping prices from the venues I mentioned.

The thing is, your speakers a fairly big 'ol speakers, which is not a form factor in fashion any more. Low priced decent speakers today tend to be compact, and therefore just won't have the bass of your Bostons.

It would help if you told us what you like about the sound of your Bostons, and what you feel might be improved, including specific examples from particular pieces of music.

An alternate idea would be to revamp your existing speakers. I've posted elsewhere the miracles wrought by
    - Stuffing the cabinets (Absorbing rear wave energy to keep it from coming out through the cones and enclosure)
    - Putting bracing into the cabinet (reduce vibration and unwanted energy)
    - Anti-vibration coating the inside of the cabinet and maybe the backs of the mid/tweet
    - The ultimate would be to redesign the crossovers with help from DIYAudio or similar folks.
    These changes may shock you with the difference they make. If you want more details, post here and quote me.

Speakers last a loooooooong time as you now know. I think you should better save up money to buy a clear upgrade to what you have, and not spend $300 questionably.

8. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Vandersteen 1C is a little over a grand new. I'd look for a used pair. They are small floor standers, rated at 90db but more like 87db real world. These are very coherent speakers (time and phase correct, produce a nice step response), but are also semi omnidirectional. If you can put a little space between them and the back/side walls, you will get a nice soundstage. They are very musical speakers that hold up for rather long listening sessions. They will sound much more realistic than the BA speakers, presenting a realistic soundstage and sense of the recording. Tone Audio did a review recently.

goldwax and BD2665 like this.
  9. jeanralphio

jeanralphio Well-Known Member

No problem, I'm going to order a set of the b6 myself. If you look what people are saying about the b5 and f5 that have been at some shows, its hard to imagine them not being pretty good, although the hype is pretty extreme and I am still a bit skeptical that they are really as mind blowing as people have claimed. At any rate I have little doubt they're the best for the price.

goldwax likes this.
  10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

You mean the Arcam sounds better ?!:confused:

11. goldwax

Oh, absolutely. Not even subtle. Bass goes lower and is tighter, instruments stand out more--more detail overall. I asked my wife what she thought--she has better hearing than me, but doesn't really care about SQ, though she loves music--and her one-word review was, "sharper."

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. goldwax

All good thoughts, thanks.

I refoamed the surrounds using the correct-profiles replacements myself a couple weeks ago.

Agreed on crossover technology--it's really the technological advancements over the past 35 years since my speakers were designed that have my interest piqued.

$300 is a random number, and I'm not confined to brand-new. Used is even preferable. I live in LA, so it shouldn't be too hard to find just about any speaker make if I'm patient. I've also noticed that craiglisters from the outer reaches of LA tend to have lower prices, since people are not fond of schlepping. I've used that to my advantage numerous times.

What I like about the sound of my Bostons is that it's just a very comforting, musical sound. Not a lot of shrillness or boominess. Very balanced. I need to play some orchestral music to check for congestion or muddiness, since that might have been a slight problem before my amp upgrade. There's nothing I don't like. The problem is that I was very happy with my prior amplification, but with the Arcam, I've seen such marked improvement for relatively little outlay that it has me thinking that there might be a similar effect if I get newer speakers, even if they are relatively low-priced but still well-designed ones.

The revamp idea is interesting. You left one off, though, which is to recap them. I think I will start there--some of the other mods you mention seem a bit like work!

13. timind

timind phorum rezident

Never heard the BA speakers but I did pick up a nice pair of Vandersteen 1Cs for <$300 a couple years ago. An absolute bargain at that price.

goldwax and jupiterboy like this.
  14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

The BA speakers have always been well thought of, if they are in good nick I would keep them. I'm a front end first person and would spend the money on the best cartridge your arm will take.
    That is where you will really hear the difference.

goldwax likes this.
  15. Mike66

Mike66 Active Member

I haven't heard any Boston Acoustic speakers since the early 80's, but my own overall favourite from several decades of messing around up, side, and down-grading between many different budget speakers has to be the B&W DM 601 S3. I hear one hell of a lot of difference between these and others from the 80's and 90's which I used to find pretty good.

goldwax likes this.
  16. goldwax

Funny you mention that as I think I'm due for a new stylus. Probably going for the AT-150MX stylus on my 440MLa cart.

Speakers are in good nick, though I do need to hit them with some timing oil (beautiful veneer on them) and replace the grille cloth.

17. goldwax

Bottom line is that BAs were considered a great value speaker--that is, audiophile on a budget. What I suppose I'm looking for is the 21st-century equivalent of that (which would point to ELAC) or else a higher-end speaker that is somewhat undervalued used, a la Arcam home theater receivers.

18. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yup! :)

Recap is fine, if some are old electrolytics. If they are damaged you might notice an improvement. But the improvement will come with the "work" ;) No pain no gain. Actually when I did that once for my friend's husband it was not so much work. Measured inside the cabinets, cut some 1x1" a bit longer and sanded until the fit a bit jammed in for compression on the panels, wood glue all around the ends. Stuffing the fiberglass was pretty quick; there are more sophisticated stuffing materials available as well. Coating the insides (AFTER the bracing) was also pretty quick-just ladled in goop one side at a time. So actually not such a daunting project really. I think you would be highly pleased.

goldwax likes this.
  19. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Any updates?

20. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

If you have a Tannoy dealer nearby, the dual concentric DC6 would be worth seeking out. Or consider going down the active speakers route.

21. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Have a look at the Music Hall Marimbas, they're normally $350 full retail but Music Direct has them on a $199 special:
    http://www.musicdirect.com/p-106164-music-hall-marimba-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

I have a pair and really like them, vocals are a particular strong suit. They had been put away for quite a while when I got a super deal on the KEF LS50, but I've just put them back in the system as my "B" speakers in the den. So glad I did, they sound so good, and sonically not that far from the KEFs, I just finished listening to AP's SACD of Jeff Buckley's "Grace", Just gorgeous. Here's a review:
    http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-hall-marimba-loudspeaker#81SjT54Ix4vzkS0v.97

I'd be keen to hear the Andrew Jones Elac too, I have his Pioneer line (ver. 2), now in use with my home theater system and have always enjoyed them.

22. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

Infinity Primus 363 or Pioneer SP-FS52 if you want floorstanders at or under your budget with the advantages of modern design and high production economies of scale. If what you like about the BAs is the acoustic suspension design, NHT.

I have Infinity and Pioneer bookshelf speakers and enjoy them within their limits.

23. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Truth to told, to make a quantum leap is going to take a significant larger investment or a stroke of luck on the used market. Considering the BA line, I have owned CR and VR speakers over the years, and they are both considerable bargains. The VR line has the improved tweeter. Note: even with full range towers I found the bass to be somewhat anemic, but this is highly subjective. The VR m50s can be had for around $300 used, however they are bookshelf speakers. Primus 363s are a great budget, although they have a very mellow tweeter. Other brands to consider : psb, energy, paradigm, b &w, kef, Polk, etc. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.