"NewsRadio: The Complete First And Second Seasons"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

From tvshowsondvd.com

Attached Files:

2. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

I can't wait. I was a regular viewer from episode one. I sure wish they could have gone on just one season longer.

3. AKA

Me, too. I think Jon Lovitz did a great job as Max Louis. People were just turned off by the fact that he wasn't Bill McNeil.

My only complaint about this set is that fact that it's three discs. There were six episodes in the first season, and twenty-one in the second. That's nine episodes per disc, which will definitely affect the video quality.

4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I think the real reason the show ultimately failed was that the nimrods at NBC kept moving it all over the damn schedule with little promotion. Yet at the same time they were endlessly hyping up truly heinous "comedies" like "Suddenly Susan", "Caroline in the City", and, ooof, "Veronica's Closet". :hurlleft:

News Radio had at least two more quality seasons in it.

:mad:

But, yes, great news on this new DVD set. :)

Dan C

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The last season was very underrated. The Jimmy James/Johnny Johnson/D.B. Cooper episode arc with Patrick Warburton and the subsequent "wino/wedding" return of Warburton later on were so funny I had tears in my eyes at certain points.

Regards,

6. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

As pointed out in another forum, these discs are likely going to be somewhat overcompressed (over 3.8 hours per dvd-9, plus bonus material)...don't expect stellar image quality.

I'll still be buying.

7. AKA

I like your avatar, Michael!

8. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Is cheap at Amazon! what with free shipping and all.

9. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

This is so strange...I was just thinking about Newsradio today and thought it would be great to replace my worn VHS copies.

A great show indeed, although I didn't get into it until syndication. I preferred Phil Hartman, but Lovitz was great as well. As Ken said above, there were some great storylines in that last season. One of my favorite episodes out of the whole series comes from that season: Flowers For Matthew (where Matthew drinks Joe's smart drink and outwits Dave).

I also think NBC really wasted a lot of this show's potential by constantly moving it around. I think if they kept still long enough, the show would have found its core audience. I know a lot of people who got into the show during its syndication run like myself mainly because they could find it at a regular time.

Is it still on anywhere? The last I checked, A&E was showing them somewhat sporatically.

10. Michael St. Clair

Well, I like yours too.

A couple of guys we lost way too soon...

11. AKA

Unfortunately, A&E gave up their rights to the series about a year or so ago. I don't think Columbia syndicates it anywhere anymore, either.

Absolutely. I still remember my eyes glazing over when I heard the terrible news that day in May of '98.

12. AKA

From tvshowsondvd.com:

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Hopefully, they will add another disc to make room for higher bitrates.

Regards,

14. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I've preordered my set. I was a fan before the first show (I was in the test marketing, and I gave 'The Station' very high marks). As far as I am concerned, this was the best American sitcom of the 90s, and only Absolutely Fabulous was better...

As for Jon Lovitz, I didn't hate him because he wasn't Bill McNeil. I hated him because he was Jon Lovitz, a comedian who has probably never made me laugh once. That aside, however, the show did not need two Matthews, and even the cast hated the decision to force Jon in. Walt or the efficiency expert would have worked much better, but hey, the expert is now in the glorious Gilmore Girls, so ah well...

I'd love to hear cast and producer commentaries on these.

Good times, good times...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

15. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Argh! Postponed indefinitely?

Has the whole world gone completely bitchcakes?

16. Michael St. Clair

The delay is a good thing. Borrowed from Usenet via HTF:

"Grand Poobah" is series creator Paul Simms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.