Next batch of Thin Lizzy "Deluxe Editions" are Bad Reputation, Black Rose & Chinatown

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I doubt we will ever find out anything about what the sources/remastering is for these upcoming ones. We only found out about the deception with the last three thanks to your (Andrew) asking about some issues with the bonus tracks but then getting a very unexpected and revealing response from the guy who owns the mastering studio venting about the mastering situation (which he didn't even want you telling anybody)! I think that then blew up in ways he (& Universal) did not want happening and I expect them to be much more guarded this time around. But who knows...no predicting human behavior, maybe somebody will have an axe to grind again & want to vent.

Of course it would be nice this time if they just went back to the original analog master tapes & took a shot at making new digital versions like what we expect from "Deluxe Editions", but after that debacle and now the disappointing antics with Rush Moving Pictures "hi-res" stereo I am not expecting anything positive at all ever again from Universal (not so) "Deluxe Editions". :sigh:

2. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

One things for sure, we can't believe anything that's on the CD sleeve notes, as Universal lie through their teeth... as we learned last time.

3. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Preorders are now available, I put all 3 on order.

4. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I will likely get Black Rose.

5. geroger0

geroger0 New Member

Lynott and Co put out so much good stuff it's hard to pinpoint a favorite. The Deluxe Edition pf Johhny the Fox will keep me happy till the others are released. .

6. Peter77

Peter77 Forum Resident

Well I've just received my copies of the three new deluxe editions. Bad Reputation is a single disc, which includes the 01/08/77 BBC session plus Me And The Boys (soundcheck). Chinatown's bonus disc appears to be missing We Will Be Strong (soundcheck) as previously listed.

I've had a brief listen to Black Rose, my favourite Lizzy album. It sounds good to me - not too loud or too bright - and the booklet does state "remastered in 2010 by Andy Pearce and Matt Wortham at Wired Masters." However ... it appears that the stereo spectrum has been switched for the whole album, so for instance the duelling guitars section of The Mason's Apron now begins in the right speaker as opposed to the left. I don't know if this has happened with earlier releases and I don't have the original vinyl mix to compare with, but it's a new one on me. Oh, and it's the first time I've ever clearly heard Phil Lynott singing Blue Suede Shoes at the end of Do Anything You Want To!

As with the previous deluxe releases, the booklet is first rate with some fantastic photographs (plus a glaring spelling mistake on the Black Rose inlay). However, the two unreleased tracks (Cold Black Night and Rock Your Love) are missing songwriter credits. Also, the track notes date the Nassau sessions as 28 April - 3 May 1978, so does that mean Brian Robertson is playing on these tracks?

7. Peter77

Peter77 Forum Resident

duplicate post

8. Peter77

Peter77 Forum Resident

Oops. My mistake - caused by a faulty iTunes rip. Sorry! Good work!!

9. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

Glad to read about Bad Reputation. It's my favorite TL album.

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

:righton:

11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Man, I hate switched channels more than anything. :realmad: Where exactly does that start on the song, so I can compare to my Metal Blade CD?

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Ok. The Mason's Apron starts at 4:05. The guitar should start on the left. If this new deluxe starts on the right, forget it. I will stick with my Metal Blade version.

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

On my Metal Blade you can also hear Phil sing the first two line of Blue Suede Shoes at the end of Do Anything.

14. Andrew Smith

The track Sugar Blues (Live) on disc 2 of Chinatown is a vinyl rip, although I'm sure they've got the tapes for this track because when it appeared on the Vagabonds, Kings, Warriors, Angels released in 2001 it was from tape, not vinyl. Does the whole Black Rose album on disc 1 have reversed channels? I haven't recieved that one yet.

15. Andrew Smith

You can hear it on the new Deluxe Edition aswell. I've just checked on Spotify. I haven't recieved the CD yet.

16. Peter77

Peter77 Forum Resident

I couldn't edit my original post but I did send an update immediately afterwards. The reversed channels was my mistake caused by a faulty iTunes rip of the cd. Upon playing the album back through regular speakers the album sounds mighty fine - panic over.

I'm very happy with the new batch of releases. The albums sound great, and the packaging is very classy (apart from a few glaring spelling errors and lack of detail on bonus tracks). It's a shame A Merry Jingle wasn't among the Black Rose bonus tracks, has this track ever been officially released on CD?

17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

You have to be kidding me? I almost died from shock. :winkgrin: Thanks for the update.

18. Andrew Smith

Anybody else notice that Sugar Blues (Live) on Disc 2 of Chinatown is a vinyl rip, even though when it appeared on the 2001 box set "Vagabonds, Kings, Warriors, Angels" it was from tape?

19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

What makes you think it is a vinyl rip? Do you hear record scratchiness or something???

What LP was that ever on btw? (a single or something?)

I'm still waiting for mine to get here, supposedly on its way! I hope it doesn't take 3 months like some other recent Amazon UK orders.

20. Andrew Smith

Yep, you can hear the vinyl crackle very clearly, especially at the beginning as it fades in. Yes it was released on vinyl as the B-side of the Chinatown single - I've got it. If you've got Spotify, listen to it on there.

21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks Andrew. That is pretty hokey IMO (using a vinyl source). I don't have "spotify", never even heard of it, just had to google it. Not something I'm interested in (I don't use my PC for listening to music, I'm old school and use my stereo for that!). Thanks for mentioning it though, someone else up here might want to try it.

22. Andrew Smith

What does the word "Hokey" mean? I think it's a UK/USA thing.

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Hard to explain - Wimpy. Stupid. Cheesy. Below Board. Almost dishonest.

Basically "not good" I guess.

24. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Doing something in a contrived manner, usually on the cheap and easy.

Instead of tracking down the tape (if it exists) they did it the cheap and easy (hokey) way, and just did a vinyl rip of the track.

25. Andrew Smith

Unfortunately I think that is the case... spot on! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.