Next batch of Thin Lizzy "Deluxe Editions" are Bad Reputation, Black Rose & Chinatown

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Right!!! That's what I was driving at. Couldn't explain it right though. :cheers:

In view of everything Andrew uncovered with the first batch of remasters this sure looks like more of the same "hokey" treatment, instead of giving this stuff the "deluxe" treatment it deserves.

Still glad to have these releases, but it seems a shame that they get this kind of treatment.

2. I avoided all the other Deluxe Editions but decided (probably unwisely) to buy the Deluxe 'Black Rose' today. I have not had a chance to listen to it yet but I can say this about the packaging - there is nothing deluxe about it! Flimsy cardbord digipacks and when I peeled the 'Deluxe Edition' strip off it has left residue and marking on the front cover artwork. Being cardbord I doubt this will be able to be removed without damaging the artwork. The credits say this new edition was re-mastered by Andy Pearce. We established that the last batch were not. The question is, were these or are we being once again misled by Universal? Anyway, I intend to compare this reissue with the last remaster and will report back once I have done so.

3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Welcome to the new world of Deluxe Edition packaging.

4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, all of the recent "deluxe editions" that I've bought use crap materials (Lizzy, Rush, Rainbow, I 4get what else). Cheap paper etc. Nothing "deluxe" about them at all.

I don't know if we'll ever know for sure what these remasters are or who worked on them.

Please let us know what you think about the sound quality etc in comparison to any older versions that you have.

5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow - got my Amazon.co.uk order in today!!! Record quick shipping time (for me).

Am listening to Bad Rep now - not doing any comparisons with other versions I have, but just listening to it it sounds great to my tin ears, and I can hear stuff I don't recall hearing before (some gtrs, a very deep rumbly bass from Phil, drums very up front in the sound). Even what sounds like some sax at the end of Downtown Sundown I never noticed before (?). Maybe I just never noticed this stuff on older versions, but I'm noticing it now.

6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'm gonna comment on my own comment.

I spoke with someone at Universal who was honest with me about the last batch of releases, and he assured me this new batch are new Andy Pearce remasters. I believe him and like what I'm hearing on Bad Reputation. I don't know if it is compressed, brickwalled, over EQed, or anything else that gets criticized about new remasters, I just know it sounds good to my ears, and its a great addition to my Lizzy collection.

Onwards to Black Rose up next!

7. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

Disc 1 of the latest three Deluxe Editions I think do contain new remastering this time of the original album. I think this because when comparing them to the older CD versions, the new DE's sound is different. They are not over-compressed or too loud. They sound fine. I won't be owning these CD's until later on this month and have been using Spotify to listen to them. I'm a bit disappointed though that people are saying the packaging is flimsy. This is obviously Universal trying to save money, even though they charge more for Deluxe Editions anyway.

8. Andrew Smith

I need to know if anyone else on here has brought the Chinatown Deluxe Edition yet and played it. Listening to it on Spotify, it sounds as if the whole of Disc 1 is a vinyl rip. If any of you own this CD already, could you check and tell me if I'm imagining it or not? You can also listen to it on Spotify if you have an account with them - it's completely free, providing you don't mind a short radio ad after every 3 or 4 songs. Remember, I'm only talking about the new DE version of Chinatown and not any of the other older CD versions. Thanks

9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

So just so I have this straight...you believe Chinatown to be a new remastering (as per the 1st post)..but you think they put the remaster on vinyl and then ripped the audio from that for the CD for some reason (as per the 2nd post). That is almost impossible to imagine happening with a new remaster...

10. Andrew Smith

The other two (Bad Reputation & Black Rose) I think feature the new remastering from what I've heard. Someone on Amazon said "The new 2011 Andy Pearce remastering did make it to the CD this time", obviously meaning that it didn't last time with the first batch of the Thin Lizzy DE's, which is why I'm a bit confused as to why the new Chinatown DE sounds like a vinyl transfer. Maybe he has inside knowledge? Also there's a difference in sound this time between the older CD versions and the new DE's which wasn't the case with the Jailbreak, Johnny The Fox and Live And Dangerous DE's. The Chinatown DE Disc 1 definitely sounds like a vinyl transfer. I'm desperate to know if anybody else has noticed this or am I just going completely mad?

11. Andrew Smith

Just ignore my last few comments. My Spotify player was playing my vinyl rip of the album that's on my PC, for some strange reason. Now I've deleted it, it plays the version posted on Spotify... and now I'm not getting any vinyl crackling at all, so forget my last posts. Sorry.

12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Listened to all of Black Rose, and the 1st disc of Chinatown.

Both sound absolutely tremendous to me, and I love the bonus stuff on BR.

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I am buying BR, for sure.

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I know later in the thread you backed off saying the studio disc sounded like a vinyl transfer due to some issue on your PC with spotify; but not sure if this is the same problem for you.

I listened to the bonus disc today, and live Sugar Blues doesn't sound like a vinyl transfer to me at all. None of this does.

15. Andrew Smith

I know it doesn't. None of it is taken from vinyl. Like I said, I made a mistake. Sorry for the misunderstanding. My Spotify player was playing the vinyl rip I've got of Chinatown on my PC that I did a few years ago, with Sugar Blues (Live) tagged on at the end which I ripped from the Chinatown single. I brought the vinyl of eBay and did a digital transfer. Now I've deleted them from my PC, it's now playing the proper version which is streamed by Spotify, which in theory should sound virtually as good as the CD. There's no vinyl crackle at all. It's all from tape... thank God!

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Are there any more opinions on the new deluxe Black Rose?

17. Andrew Smith

Apart from not including the extended version of Waiting For An Alibi, it's a damn good collection of outtakes on Disc 2, and Disc 1 (the original album) sounds great.

18. Yes, I have to say the new 'Black Rose' sounds pretty damn fine to these ears as well. :thumbsup: I bought the new 'Bad Reputation' today and I'm looking forward to playing it later this evening.

19. Andrew Smith

Back cover artwork for these three Deluxe Editions.

261789_248482858510921_100000476274990_1086285_1082505_n.jpg

267674_248483048510902_100000476274990_1086288_1437017_n.jpg

263134_248483278510879_100000476274990_1086290_3332077_n.jpg

20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

My Black Rose is on the way!

21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Please let us know what you think.

I think it sounds great but I have tin ears compared to most of you guys.

22. ihwtm

ihwtm Forum Resident

I have bought the Black Rose Deluxe Edition and my copy has some sound issues. I stress that I hope it is just my copy, but can anybody else who owns it check the following:

Disc 1, Track 2 - Toughest Street in Town - from 1:30 to 1:50 - bad "crackling" distortion on both channels when Brian Downey rattles round his toms, particularly at approx 1:35 and 1:44.

Disc 1, Track 9 - Black Rose - same problem (albeit not as bad) at approx 6:05, 6:22 and 6:50.

I have tried the CD on a few different players and it is less noticeable on some but still very much audible every time. As i say, hope it is just my copy.

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I just checked mine & I don't notice anything like what you describe. Just listening on the stereo I heard nothing and extracting the tracks & checking them on the PC with Cooledit I don't hear/see anything fishy.

24. The second disc is fantastic!
    Really strong material and performances.:thumbsup:

Hope to dig into "CHINATOWN" tomorrow if I can get "BLACK ROSE" out of my player that is!

25. I'm very happy with it. I have owned three previous editions, and this one sounds good to me ears. Further, the 2nd disc content is the best so far among the re-issues in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.