Next batch of Thin Lizzy "Deluxe Editions" are Bad Reputation, Black Rose & Chinatown

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One more bump. Peak hours hahaha

2. come onnnnnnnnnn 8-]

3. So I found a 28pd-545 today and the same weird distortion that occurs throughout the remaster is also on this disc. Guess it's just a not so fantastic recording!

4. phoenixhwy1982

phoenixhwy1982 The Last Cowboy

It's a new mastering.

If you look for a Vertigo, look for the Japan 1st, they're still out there - for Bad Reputation (also Nightlife and Fighting) it's a red swirl (PPD) as opposed to the usual blue swirl (28 PD).

PPD is an astonishing mastering if you (a) don't like them bright, and (b) like lots of natural sounding bass. :D

5. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I agree with your comments on the Japan mastering (28 PD and PPD series). What do you know about the 1st Japan CD versions of the first three titles. I have read a few posts that have assumed they are the same mastering as the regular DERAM 820 xxx-2 series but have never had anyone confirm this. What do you or anyone else know about the mastering of the early Japan discs for the first 3 titles?

6. phoenixhwy1982

phoenixhwy1982 The Last Cowboy

You know, that is still a black hole for me. I'm just now finally making my way through the PPDs and the 28 PDs... anybody else know the answer?

Compared the PPD "Bad Reputation" with the 28PD "Black Rose" yesterday. There's so much more warmth on "Bad Reputation". It's certainly interesting that the same producer (Tony Visconti) would give these back to back albums such different sonic palette. Was Phil going after a more punkishs, aggressive sound with "Black Rose"?

7. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I think I have answered the question. I found an inexpensive copy of the Japan 1st press Vegabonds CD so I could compare mastering (or at least EAC Peak Levels). Drum Roll: they are the same except for the Japan 1st press only has the original 8 tracks, not the 4 bonus tracks at the end which were originally part of a separate EP release. Same EAC peak levels for tracks 1-8 on both the regular Deram CD and the Japan 1st Press CD with only 8 tracks on the latter. I would think it is fair to assume that the mastering for first two Lizzy titles are the same as well. Anyway, I thought folks might be interested in my findings.

phoenixhwy1982 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.