Next Jeff Bridges film: Bad Times at the El Royale

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

On my bucket list of movies......

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

I'm getting the wife out to see it this weekend. Thanks for the reviews, folks!!

3. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Based on the reviews from you guys I'm gonna pass...and buy the bluray when it comes out.:)

4. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

The dialog fits what you'ld think someone would say in the variety of situations presented in particular centering around staying alive and the strategies implemented in doing so. I would suggest not reading anything about the movie prior to viewing. It's much more intense that way. That's how I went into the theater and I'm glad I did.

It has a Hitchcock unfolding nature (kinda' North By Northwest) about it in pacing and reveal which just gets weirder and weirder.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  5. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

That implies a "bring out the gimp" scenario... :D

Linger63 likes this.
  6. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

Went to see this last night. This is probably the best movie I've seen in years! I plan on going back to see it again. It was that good. I love how there wasn't any orange and teal color shenanigans going on like with most films these days.

mrjinks, Tim Lookingbill and mmars982 like this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

Went last night. Fantastic movie! One of the year's best for me.
    If you are a Bridges fan, this MUST be on your list. I can't say he single-handedly carries the film, I will say it would be nothing without him.

See it now, it will be crowded out by the CGI movies soon.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Terrific color from start to finish by Steve Scott and his crew at Technicolor. It's a strange film that has a very convoluted plot that goes into unexpected directions (to say the least), but there are explanations and payoffs by the very end. It felt like it was about 20 minutes too long (142-minute running time), but it's got some great performances in it. People who know the 1960s and 1970s will chuckle at the music choices and the very close parallels to real-life people (who clearly inspired some of the characters).

There were a lot of "WTF" moments in it for me, more surprises than any movie I've seen this year, and the ending is unpredictable. Even the Royale hotel itself is kind of a character. It's not a movie I would recommend people see in the theater, but it's good enough to wait to see on home video.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    SomeCallMeTim and Karnak like this.
  9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Well done movie.

Reminds me so much of a Quinten Tarantino movie.

Mr. E. Tramp likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ehhhhh... kinda "Tarantino-light," in terms of snappy dialogue. And Quentin is much more intense and much more violent -- not that this film is a walk in the park.

There is a very clever Rashomon moment where you see one particular scene from 3 or 4 different points of view as a flashback, and I thought that was very interesting seeing it from different characters' eyes. There's some really good ideas in it. I would agree that one thing it has in common with Tarantino that there are moments where you'll say, "I have absolutely no idea where this thing is headed." :eek:

When Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood comes out next year (aka the "Charlie Manson film"), then you'll see the real thing. They also spent a reported $100 million on it, so I'm assuming it'll be a lot more lavish in terms of sets and establishing the era of the late-1960s.

Ghostworld likes this.
  11. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Loved this movie.
    I enjoyed seeing where it was going and it revealed it clearly.

I didn't get much Tarantino vibe at all except for the Hush part and the film reel.

12. Agree Tarantino light. Not even close. The various story timelines was too close to his work.

Too long and a real missed opportunity. It just seemed off timing wise. I liked all the people in it but it didn’t go far enough.

Grade C.

Ghostworld and Vidiot like this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I saw it at the two dollar theater and left about 3/4 through. Not because it was horrible I was just getting a little tired of waiting for something to happen and I was getting the vibe The pay off wasn’t going to be worth waiting for. And I much prefer being out in the real world during the day then sitting inside watching something mediocre.

14. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Finally saw this. Wife did not like it and gave up halfway through, but I thought it was better than good.
    As already mentioned, it started off like it was going to be great. like Mysterious Hitchcok.
    But, as already mentioned, in the middle it morphs into Violent Tarantino.

Wife hates movies that jump around in time instead of flowing in real time.
    It might have been better if it had not jumped around in time.

Wife 1 star
    Me 4.5

15. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Enjoyed it overall, especially the pacing, suspense and cinematography. But Chris Helmsworth’s so-very-blatant channeling of Brad Pitt (Fight Club, Inglorious Basterds, and others) was so obvious and derivative that it was cringeworthy to watch. I kept thinking that he should have tried for something more original. It looked way too forced. And that ultimately ruined the viewing experience for me.

16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Sadly, the SET was the only thing in this film that I liked.....

17. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Picked up a used BR, I liked it. I'm a Jeff Bridges fan, not his best but give it 4-5.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Great film. Watched it twice. Going for the hat trick this weekend.

19. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Really looked forward to seeing this movie. Liked what I'd seen on trailer & like John Hamm & Jeff Bridges (sometimes on Bridges). Thought film soundtrack would be great, too. Alas, missed the very beginning. Came in where they're all registering. Thought the score would be fantastic & that didn't disappoint. (I only lasted about 5 minutes & heard Twenty Five Miles! Crackin' tune! :):thumbsup: Hung in a little longer, but even w/hopes of more good music, the story & acting didn't keep me invested; found it plodding. Could be I didn't hang in long enough. :confused::shrug:)

Cable channels ran some flicks last year when this film was in theatre's...either w/that Motel &/or Route 66 open-land depictions of places which had seen better times (also w/eerie storylines). I watched (half of the time through fingers of hands up in front of face!) Kalifornia - Whew! :eek::faint: Very violent, but draws you in w/amazing performances given. (That's ironic that Chris Hemsworth's performance in El Royale is likened to Brad Pitt from above poster, as B.P. stars in Kalifornia w/David Duchovny, Juliette Lewis & Michelle Forbes, though Pitt's character is a sociopath/psychopath & he looks quite disturbed/deranged - it's not easily viewable film - not the amicable "hippie" that Hemsworth seems to be looking like...remember, I didn't hang in w/it very long so I don't know that his character was actually amicable!)
    The other was Flesh and Bone w/Dennis Quaid, Meg Ryan, James Caan & Gwyneth Paltrow. This is more fleshed-out, well-rounded storyline. Both of them: :thumbsup:

Kalifornia Official Trailer #1 - Brad Pitt Movie (1993) HD
    Flesh and Bone - Trailer

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  20. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I completely missed this movie (and this thread) when it came out. It's on Amazon Prime now, we watched it last night and I thought it was fantastic. All those people in the QT/Hollywood thread bitching about how Quentin has lost it will find what they've been missing here (and maybe in Hollywood, too - we'll see). It's hard to talk about it without giving stuff away, if this is your jam just set aside an evening and watch it.

SH.tv nerds will note that not only does the 78rpm jukebox play records never released on 78, they took the trouble to get the labels right!

21. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

It's weird that this movie seemed to get lots of pre-release buzz, and the trailer looked intriguing as hell, but the thing seemed to disappear without a trace. On my keep-meaning-to-see list.

22. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Watched it over the weekend, kind of disappointed really. Just too slow, and predictable, other than the timing of Hamm’s demise.

I did like the flashback of the robbery.

My question is, who killed Bridges’ brother?

It appears to be someone he knew, but unless I missed it, it was never explained. Or any retribution by Bridges.

23. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Yeah, more than a few scenes in 'Bad Times At El Royale' threw me. Glad I watched it with no preconceptions. Marvellous film. Great cast (Chris Hemsworth, Dakota Johnson, Jon Hamm, Jeff Bridges.....), and the English lass, Cynthia Erivo, I'd never even heard of before - but what a voice!!
    [​IMG]

mrjinks and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I liked it a lot. I didn't know much about the movie so I didn't have expectations that wouldn't be met.

It's fun.

25. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I enjoyed this movie just fine until Hemsworth (doing an okay Brad Pitt imitation) completely stopped it in its tracks. It completely switched gears and lost its way.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.