Next Star Trek movie: Starfleet Academy?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by poweragemk, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitenoise

whitenoise New Member

:thumbsup: Yup. Someone who actually likes science fiction and has sympathy for the orginal series. Rick Berman would appear to have been a soap opera writer...

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Would anyone be adverse to Leonard Nimoy either directing or producing (perhaps working with Bennett and/or Meyer)?

3. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Not I, especially if he were working with Bennett and/or Meyer. There seems to be some Trek magic in those combinations.

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Even bringing back Meyer alone would pump some magic back into Trek.

Evan

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I loved DS9. I think that it's the best series of them all, barring the original. Sisko is the best Captain next to Kirk. I thought the story line was very gripping, and I loved the treatment of religion in the series.

I never really liked TNG. In particular, the first couple seasons are excruciating to watch. The way they kept re-doing episodes from the original series was just embarassing. Plus, the incidental music sounds like it was played on a Casio keyboard.

I never could understand the people who accused DS9 of betraying Roddenberry's vision by having the Federation involved in a war. I mean, practically every single episode of the original series involved intense conflict even if there was no "war" happening.

6. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member Thread Starter

Naw, not at all. I thought that after the first couple of seasons it started to be REALLY good. It got trashed because it wasn't on a starship - unfair IMO, as it provided a chance to take a different direction with the storyline, and it did so fearlessly. At its best, it was meditative, spiritual, and (mostly) anything but hokey. Unlike the super-sanitized TNG (imo) it actually looked more realistic in set design as well (less Enterprise, more Mos Eisley). Also, at least they were honest about what the holodecks were used for...(I mean, come on - you're telling me that a bunch of guys in space who don't appear to be having relations with anyone aren't going to have a few, uh, special programs stored? ;) ) Avery Brooks was great fun, as was Andy Robinson (even if I kept expecting him to kidnap a schoolbus full of kids and get shot by Clint Eastwood...)

7. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I don't know if DS9 is my "favorite," per se, over TNG or the original, but it was definitely of a consistently higher quality week in and week out. Very few duds. I absolutely loved the extended threads revolving around the Dominion, etc. People expecting tidy 1-hour episodes may have given up, particularly over the last few (outstanding) seasons.

8. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Indeed, I think DS9 was at its weakest during more traditional Monster of the Week shows. One that stands out as bothering me in particular is the one called, IIRC, "Empok Nor," where they head over to another Cardassian space station (conviniently the "same design" as DS9, so they can reuse the set), which turns out to have Cardassian super-warriors on it. Not only does the episode kill off all of the minor characters (DS9 does not generally escape the red-shirt syndrome, and if a minor character has lines and a name, they're likely to bite the dust before the end of the show), it forces an unsatisfying resolution wherein the MoTW format doesn't allow any time to properly digest what has happened. I will give credit where it's due, though, as the incident is in fact mentioned a season later.

-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.