Next Turntable - Rega P3 vs Technics SL-1210GR

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wgb113, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking to upgrade my current setup:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/Ortofon 2M Blue, Acryl-It platter, and SpeedBox 2.

Budget is $2000 including cart so both of these fit the bill. Considering mounting an Exact 2 on the Rega and either a 2M Bronze or AT-VM750SH on the Technics. What I like about each:

Rega
    • Aesthetics - a nice clean look.
    • Solid brand and what seems to be a sweet spot in their lineup.
    Technics
    • Ease of use - speed change built in.
    • Ruggedness/durability - seems these tables are built to take a fair amount of abuse and still last years -not that I'm hard on gear.
    • Ease of swapping cartridges (via headshell swaps).
    • Speed accuracy and stability.
    I've considered other tables in my price range but have it down to these two. Used is not an option.

I look forward to your input.

2. Go to Analogue Planet. Watch the 5 videos of the UK Rega plant tour. You'll be impressed.

3. For 2k you can afford a RP6. That's what I have. And they keep improving them.then upgrade later and add the groovtracer subplatter

vinylontubes likes this.
  4. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

I don't think anyone here has even heard the 1210GR, let alone compared it to a P3 yet, though from most of the preliminary accounts, it does seem almost directly comparable to the old SL1200 series, albeit with a higher price more commensurate with the current times.

You may want to list some of the tables you also considered to help direct the discussion since those two choices seem to be almost diametrical opposites.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  5. wgb113

Yep! Mikey did a nice job! Would like to see more of those.

Mazzy likes this.
  6. wgb113

Judging by those videos it seems the new P3 is on the same level performance-wise as the outgoing RP6. It sounds like the new P6 will be a further step up.

Mazzy likes this.
  7. wgb113

Understood. Some of the others I've been researching include:

Marantz TT-15S1
    Clearaudio Concept
    Pro-Ject The Classic
    MoFi StudioDeck
    Avid Ingenium
    VPI Scout Jr.

8. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

I'd hang on to see what happens with the P6. Lots of suggestions there's a new one on the way this year and there's the Bristol show this weekend?

Btw is a P3 really $2k in the US, even with an Exact that seems steep to me.

Linto likes this.
  9. wgb113

No, a P3 with Exact would come in @ $1,500. The Technics looks like it will be @ $1,600 without a cart.

heliocentric likes this.
  10. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Good suggestions here and I think a Planar 3 is just great. However, I purchased a Technics GAE this summer and I love the thing. It is a joy to use. I think I'm right in believing the GR is a more cost effective version of my turntable. If so, I'd jump on it. You will not be disappointed.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

Just buy an old 1200 for 300-450 on craigslist (If you live near a major city) buy Iso feet & other upgrades from KAB Electro Acoustics.

12. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

OP specifically stated Used is not an option.

The new planar tables look pretty interesting! Much more intriguing than the RP1/3, which were pretty underwhelming tables in my opinion.

bru87tr likes this.
  13. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I enjoy my Planar 3 with an Exact. It is a nice, simple machine that sounds good and doesn't take up much space.

wgb113 likes this.
  14. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

OK buy a "new" Technics 1200 MK5 turntable from KAB Electro Acoustic: KAB Electro Acoustics http://www.kabusa.com

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  15. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

113- I'm kind of in the same boat. (See Turntables Too Many Choices thread.)
    I'm leaning toward the new Oracle Origine, mainly due to the arm and Oracle's reputation. There's not a lot of info out there yet for the Oracle, but I don't mind being a guinea pig.
    I'm going from an RP1. (Keeping my Technics.)
    Good luck. At this price point there's plethora of choices.

16. wgb113

@Troyh yeah, I commented a coulple of times in your thread but as you started leaning towards the Oracle I decided not to highjack your thread and create this one.
    That Oracle looks pretty interesting, let us all know how you make out if you pull the trigger. I've got some time since the Technics doesn't hit shelves for another 2-3 months. By then the new P6 might be announced and who knows, maybe those MoFi decks will finally come to fruitition...I wish they weren't so premature in their announcements.

displayname likes this.
  17. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Of the ones you listed, the VPI, Clearaudio, Rega, and Avid would be my top choices. I am not sure about the MoFi, never really read much on that one. The Project brand always seemed if to me, mainly the arm. My personal pick would be a Rega P6 and maybe add on a Shure cartridge. I used to have a P25 using a Shure V15VMR which gave excellent results.

18. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I would get the Rega based on my experience with a Rega Planar 2 vs a Technics 1200 mk2 from the same era. The Rega is the more musical turntable. I imagine the newer ones are even better.

CCrider92 likes this.
  19. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I'm right alongside you on this except with a slightly hot-rodded p1. The key word is "musical"!

20. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

Can anyone describe what a more "musical" turntable sounds like? I've owned both an SL-1200 and an RP6 and I'm not sure if I could hear one being more "musical."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Wngnt90, Dan Steele, anorak2 and 7 others like this.
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A turntable that runs slightly fast and has an English or European audiophile pedigree. Sleek look, and goes well with sipping scotch and wearing a smoking jacket.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  22. james

james Summon The Queen

I didn't pay a lot of attention to the Technics thread: I thought the new 1200's were re-engineered from the ground up; only the same turntable in brand name and layout/design philosophy. Is that not true?

DPM and bootbox like this.
  23. wgb113

Good point. Owning both - what did you like/dislike about each?

displayname likes this.
  24. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

google Tune dem

displayname and Lymbo like this.
  25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'm pretty sure they are all new. I haven't seen anything from a reliable source that suggests they aren't. My understanding is the old tooling had been destroyed and they took the opportunity to just redesign the damn thing and improve it. I'd love to see someone do a detailed tear-down and comparison of an old vs. new 1200 but that hasn't happened yet AFAIK.

wgb113 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.