Next XTC Steven Wilson 5.1 remix - BLACK SEA

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phil Tate, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I thought the LP remaster was AAA? Or was it just touting the fact that it was the first time that the analog master was used as the basis for the pressing?

I realize a hi-res master was likely made for the CD even if the LP really was AAA.

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes I was not necessarily relating the two things.
    Here's what was mentionned about the vinyl: "2016 cut from original half-inch master sources". Looks like AAA, and for the first time.

Merrick likes this.
  3. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

It’s a great sounding release regardless. My favorite XTC album in its ultimate incarnation.

dartira likes this.
  4. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

Perhaps the solution will be to release what they can in surround a la Gentle Giant Three Piece Suite. Surprised Apple Venus is difficult to mix into surround - I can imagine Volume 1 being trickier due to the orchestral elements. I read an article a while ago in I think Sound on Sound or Tape Op where Andy went through in detail the recording processes used for the Apple Venus albums. If I remember correctly Apple Venus Vol 1 was recorded using a Sony DASH digital tape multi-track, whereas Vol 2 was recorded using the Otari RADAR hard disk system. Maybe there is a technical reason behind Andy's reluctance to remix these albums. Given the band own the rights to these two albums, surely these would be two of the most straightforward to reissue.

5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Do we know that this reluctance exists? I though that Andy was just referencing the difficulties getting in the way of English Settlement and Mummer. Presumably, Big Express and the Apple Venus stuff should still be on the menu eventually.

6. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

Maybe not reluctance, but certainly there seem to be some difficulties. My comment was referencing this post from further up the thread.

7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Let's hope that Andy's tweet might spur some communication between various parties (producers, engineers, record company staff, etc).

8. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

has there been any talk of white music or go2? definitely lesser albums in my opinion but I bet there could be some cool bonus material from the early days if it has survived.

9. mongo

mongo Senior Member

That's what I was presuming, no remix for any format but 2-channel hi-res remasters are doable if not done already for ES.
    ES to me, has always been a great recording and the latest cd was no exception.
    If "most" of the multi-tracks remain unavailable I would be very satisfied with a 2-channel hi-rez version.
    What are the options really. None.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Plan9 and Matt S like this.
  10. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Those two might best be combined as a single 'early years' / 'first lineup' release.

dthomas850 likes this.
  11. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

privit1 and Phil Tate like this.
  12. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x Thread Starter

Bah, release date now showing as 17 November, when did that happen? Really excited for this.

13. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Maybe not enough signed postcards ;)

FVDnz and Phil Tate like this.
  14. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x Thread Starter

Spoke too soon - just got an email saying the release date is now 24 November :shrug:

15. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Ya, I just got the same email just now.

16. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

yep...delayed till the 24th...... :cry:

17. Ben in Colorado

Ben in Colorado Forum Resident

I have fading confidence in release dates. The TC&I disc, pushed back. The King Crimson box, pushed back. Now XTC.
    Lesson to be learned, tack a minimum of 14 days onto any release date......

18. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Wot? I haven't heard anything 'bout this being delayed :cry:

On topic.

Since English Settlement is supposedly lost (at least for now), I ordered the regular remaster from last year. Anyone here that owns this and could say something about the release?

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

(delayed to November, 10 IIRC)

It's fantastic, even better to my ears than the 1st UK pressing original.

20. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

I don't have any other copies of this album to compare the 2016 remaster to, but it sounds so good I have no reason to seek out any other pressings. The 2016 master is purported to be the first release which actually uses the 1st generation analogue tapes as opposed to a digital copy of the analogue tapes as its source. EQ is good and there is little to no compression so I expect this is the best sound you will get from the original mix of English Settlement.

FVDnz and BurtThomasWard like this.
  21. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Was that remaster ever released in Hires on any of the outlets? I don't remember seeing it but just checking...

22. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

I'm not sure if I'm honest, but I don't think it has been. The only hires XTC releases I have come across are the DVD-A and BluRay Steven Wilson remix sets.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  23. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Ah, but what a way to go! :cool:

bluerondo likes this.
  24. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I just got the email too. So unfortunate, but it will arrive, eventually...

25. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Received the TC&I disc a couple of days ago if you like XTC you will like that.

A bit of fun but I do hope an album materialises though Colin was never that prolific a writer he must have some stuff saved up

Derek Slazenger likes this.