Next XTC Steven Wilson 5.1 remix - BLACK SEA

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phil Tate, Jul 25, 2017.

1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Yeah, I have this. It’s visually lovely (and my copy is signed by Colin and Andy), and it’s nice to have the three final XTC songs (‘Spiral’ b/w ‘Say It’ is the bonus 7”), but I can’t remember how good it actually sounds. Plus the format is a pain for listening to the album(s) in full.

2. rrowley

rrowley Forum Resident

Not only the most tasteful remix I've ever heard but what a fantasic 5.1.
    The success of this release must obvliously belong to what's on the multitracks in the first place but brillliant job Mr.W

3. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I got mine today. Haven't listened yet but the prospect of Travels in Nihilon in 5.1 in particular has me very excited.

Surferghost likes this.
  4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Any thoughts on the flat transfer versus the old Virgin CD?

Merrick and sound chaser like this.
  5. PretzelLogic

My Black Sea arrived today, compete with signed (well, initialized) postcard from Terry. Just need Dave and Barry to sign an album or two, and it's a full house!

6. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Didn't Dave sign the postcard for the last one?
    Would be good to get a Barry card those first two albums are great fun

7. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x Thread Starter

Are you sure he hasn't signed it with a black pen as well? Someone put a picture of their card on Twitter and he'd signed across the bottom in black then initialled the top in silver, like he started signing them in black but realised it was barely visible and switched to silver. Mine is signed at the bottom in silver. Great to add him to the collection, but I wish he'd just signed the back like the others!

And yes, Dave signed the Skylarking card.

8. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Received mine today. Postcard signed on the front in silver, all the other ones signed on the back in black ink! :confused:

9. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

I'm saving the rest of the weekend for a full immersion so I've only given this a quick listen, but I'm impressed with what I've heard so far. Although of course 'impressed' is my minimum expectation with this series now - you've spoiled me, Mr Ambassador. While as usual the contents of the blu-ray put the contents of most 'Super Deluxe Editions' to shame, if I do have any disappointments, it's that there isn't even more of it. I don't know if a live show would have fitted into the project particularly, but it might have been nice to have had one as a(nother) bonus. Greedy, I know.

One immediate thing to note: I've never been a big fan of Andy's segues, so it's nice to have the songs separated as usual with the remix (they're intact on the original mix for those who do enjoy them). Also, I'm saving the 5.1 for dessert but the notes tell us that multis for 'The Somnambulist' couldn't be found, so that one track is an upmix.

Because I'm naughty I've already heard most of the band demos on this through other means over the years so apart from sounding better there aren't too many surprises here. Although it's nice to finally hear Ban The Bomb with some vocals, they really do make all the difference and it's difficult to see why it was left off, now - although I'd have been equally hard-pressed to pick another number to drop for it.

PS: Card signed in silver on the front, full sig, no initials.

10. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Mine is on the way from importCDs.com. They still have it priced at $16.19 if anyone still needs to order.

11. R E Faust

R E Faust Forum Resident

Had a first listen to the 5.1 of the album tracks. Never been my favourite of theirs but...wow

R E Faust

FVDnz and Hymie the Robot like this.
  12. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

dual TC autograph on mine.....he's always done just 'T. Chambers"....this has that in black and the TC in silver...
    ...take 103 indeed!

Phil Tate likes this.
  13. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Should 'At The Manor' have been included? It's primarily about recording Towers of London but it's a good watch. BBC stuff so maybe it's a licencing problem. It's a shame if we missed it.

Surferghost likes this.
  14. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

It's close.

15. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

What! no one mentions the APE logo in the diving bell?! :D

[​IMG]

jamesc, Runicen, wayneklein and 10 others like this.
  16. DetroitDoomsayer

Well, I finally got a chance to hear the STEREO remix this morning.

This is the first SW remix that I definitely do not enjoy. All of the oomf, drive and excitement of the original mix is gone and the songs just kind of lay there. The separation of instruments is interesting, but ultimately not as engaging as the original mix.
    Ah well, that's this remix over. ;)

Maybe I just couldn't crank it enough (Sunday morning), I'll give it another go later.
    It's a good thing I'm not really purchasing these for the remix as much as the extras.

metalrules and Pete Puma like this.
  17. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Mine arrive today in Australia, signed in black and initialed in silver both on the photo side :( is this the same as everyone else or did terry change his Modus operandi during the process?

Black signature on a very dark cover, a very spinal tap signing...

18. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Are any of Colin’s demos on this release?

19. PretzelLogic

Nope.

But that's definitely a new vocal on 'Ban The Bomb'

Derek Slazenger, Plan9 and Bonddm like this.
  20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Now, THAT would make a cool T-shirt!!!!
    Andy?.....
    In fact, he shoulda had a unique APE logo for EACH album!

21. DetroitDoomsayer

EXCELLENT IDEA!

I read his twitter all the time, but I do not have a twitter account myself.
    Someone please tweet him!

22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

SAME HERE!
    Great minds..., right?

DetroitDoomsayer likes this.
  23. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

How new, do you think? He doesn't seem to be involved in this one in any other way (he doesn't even contribute to the liner notes this time).
    I'm not surprised, though. I'd always known it as an unfinished instrumental - I didn't even know it had lyrics.

24. PretzelLogic

On a single listen, it's hard to say, but he sounds 'older' than the most recent thing I've heard, which is 'Say It' from 12(?) years ago,

Surferghost likes this.
  25. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Just got my copy from Burning Shed. I do not have access to my Blu-Ray player at the moment, but I listened to most of the Stephen Wilson remix on CD. I like it. The low end is heavy, which really makes Terry's drums sound huge. Can't wait to listen to the rest soon...

Black signature from Terry on the front, no additional silver signature or initials. :)