Next XTC Steven Wilson 5.1 remix - BLACK SEA

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phil Tate, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Anyone else found the original artwork in the Skylarking 5.1 package? :)

Phil Tate likes this.
  2. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

After Drums and Wires, this is my 2nd favourite album. All expectations were beyond met with D&W and I expect Black Sea will be spectacular. Thanks Andy (and Steve)

3. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x Thread Starter

Yep :righton:

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I tried to make this instrumental but the words got in the way.

DonnyMe likes this.
  5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Still hoping for Settlement someday. (And eventually Mummer) but this will do. This will do quite well actually.

6. Mister Barmy

Mister Barmy Forum Resident

I've assumed all along that when they got to Black Sea the slip case would be green, and the digipack itself would be the band in deep sea diving suits. Andy tends to do these things right.

93curr and michanes like this.
  7. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I have a feeling whatever titles that remain will be remixed. Provided they find the masters that is. I'm not complaining believe me.

8. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Great news indeed!

The Jethro Tull reissues come very close, and surpass when it comes to packaging. But when looking at pure content, I agree completely.

Phil Tate and DonnyMe like this.
  9. I think the Tull sets generally have stronger unreleased material included, but I do think these XTC sets are not TOO far behind the Tull releases.

Plan9 and DonnyMe like this.
  10. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Oh YES! - One of my favorite XTC albums ever.

11. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

excellent news! might have slightly preferred big express of the remaining albums but definitely cannot complain and hopefully they will get there eventually!

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I just a little disappointed that it is Black Sea up next. This was the first XTC album that I really cut my teeth on, but the production/arrangements feel more up front here, with less little nooks and crannies to dig into. I think English Settlement and Big Express would benefit more from the Wilson treatment. Still, I'm sure this will be a great package. Maybe I'm overdue to re-evaluate Black Sea.

13. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I can't remember, as I don't have the original vinyl anymore, but.... the early Virgin UK import CD I have is ADD. If so that would mean it had been remixed early on as well. My issue is shown below.

Can anyone shed light on the apparent remix differences on this and the early vinyl ?

[​IMG]

Just got Stand Up and Songs from the Wood SW remixes recently.....so let's just add another soon. :)

14. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

No , that doesn't make you a bad person. As for me I buy these releases for the 5.1 mix (and the extras) couldn't care less about the stereo mix (don't even listen to it.)

Cast Iron Shore likes this.
  15. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I've not got a surround system...but do enjoy when I can hear 5.1.....and....

If these surround mixes were done losslessly like several, if not all, the King Crimson remixes...I'd be more intrigued. As it is....I'm not so inclined to switch over from stereo and will probably always prefer that presentation. So maybe I'm not bad either...just a bit unsavory.

16. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

This is tremendous. Actually listening to The Big Express as I type this, but, keep them coming...Great news!

17. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Whooo-hooooo! That's what I was hoping for. :)

18. Why would a ADD designation imply "remix"? I thought that just meant the analog tapes were transferred to digital as part of the mastering process.

19. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

Yes. Yes, it does. You may atone by buying the disc when it comes out.

20. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Very good news but my big wish is still English Settlement.

dcscott and seg763 like this.
  21. Yes, it still stands for me as XTC's greatest work.

graystoke and dcscott like this.
  22. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

That's already finished and in the can, I believe. Release date should be announced shortly.

BeauZooka likes this.
  23. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I'm definitely going to be in the minority here, but at least as far as the stereo mix is concerned, I wouldn't change a thing. This album sounds great just the way it is (English Settlement, too). Now the 5.1? I'm not really set up for that-but I think that's going to change! And getting a hi-res version of Black Sea would obviously be a good thing.

lance b and BeauZooka like this.
  24. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

If this one matches the previous BD editions (and I couldn't imagine why it won't) the original stereo mix will be included in addition to the new mix. I just hope they remember to include the songwriting credits this time. They always seem to forget those!?!?

25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Except for Classical releases (and then again...), these SPARS codes are usually plain wrong and don't mean a thing. They were used and abused to imply sound quality at a time when "digital = perfect" in the mind of the consumer.
    It wasn't remixed for the CD release. SW's will be the first remix.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017