Next XTC Steven Wilson 5.1 remix - BLACK SEA

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phil Tate, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

I’m betting we have similar tastes in music, as I also have all the ones you mention. Black Sea is my favorite XTC album, and there is music on it that I’ve never noticed before, thanks to the SW 5.1 release.

ceddy10165 likes this.
  2. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I personally prefer Drums and Wires but that doesn't take anything away from Black Sea, it is awesome too!

jsayers and Instant Dharma like this.
  3. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

awesome pair TBH - D&W BS

Galactus2 and Hymie the Robot like this.
  4. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I’m sure we do. Would love to hear SW’s take on Zappa surround!

5. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I finally picked this up and I noticed that the back of the digipack says for the bluray section: 2001 stereo re-master by Ian Cooper at Metropolis Mastering. This and the 2001 CD are clearly different DR wise. Is there some story here like it is the 2001 remaster but without some layer of compression; or is this a flat transfer with a description misprint, or likely something else I am missing?

6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They kept the incorrect credits. This is a new flat transfer.

vonwegen, wayneklein, jamesc and 2 others like this.
  7. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I've been through the remix a good many times now and really enjoy it. A couple of things I can't escape, it seems especially on Generals And Majors and Tower Of London there is the slightest tinge or edge to Andy's lead vocals. I am not sure if it is an effect that is now more highlighted in this mix, or something else; for example was this tape baked I think. Anyway it is a tiny thing and I have not gone back to the original mix yet as I have not figured out blu ray and I never had this on CD... cassette was the only way I had this which kind of makes me chuckle!

The second notion I cannot escape is that these remixes serve XTC's music really really well. This isn't a knock on any original mixes, but it occurs to me that their music was so modern and ahead of its time at the time; these remixes sort of re-center the music in a way that seems to have better caught up with what they were doing. This marrying of new mix with music hits me with this notion far more with XTC than other Wilson remixes.

ceddy10165, riknbkr330 and uffeolby like this.
  9. metalrules

metalrules Forum Resident

Exactly what I'm hearing. I do actually like the sound of the remix, and it's a fun listen, but gone is the edge and the crunch that make the original mix rock and funk harder than any other XTC album.

10. scantregard

scantregard Forum Resident

I must be honest, I never bother listening to the stereo mixes of these, but that's partly because I'm something of a fairweather fan. I can never sit through all of Nonsuch (it's FAR TOO LONG) and I don't much like Oranges & Lemons. So, I tend to dip and just play a few of the tracks on 5.1 when I'm in the mood. That said, if they do Apple Venus at some point that'll be a mainstay - beautiful album.

11. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Andy has said on Twitter that Apple Venus will be getting done.
    It was a while back, so I haven’t got a link.

12. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

Hmmm. On my system it's all there and then some.

13. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

Thought that I would bump this up. Let the guessing games begin!

XTC‏Verified account @xtcfans
    Off to the shed to hear Steven Wilson's first 2 mixes for next XTC 5.1 project.

4:58 AM - 14 Apr 2018

14. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I’ll go first: Apple Venus

JediJoker and portlandjulian like this.
  15. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

Yeah, I would bet on Apple Venus volumes 1 and 2.

Assuming these are new mixes, Steven Wilson is on a two and a half week break in-between legs of his tour - and he's working on another band's surround mixes? Us fans are lucky this guy is dedicated, and works fast!

Runicen, Matt S, JediJoker and 6 others like this.
  16. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

My money is on English Settlement....

17. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I wish it were English Settlement but as we all know... no multitracks.

I'll guess Mummer just to be different!

JediJoker likes this.
  18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i just hope they find those english settlement multi-tracks .... if not mummer or big express will be cool

19. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I am sure that if/when those tapes turn up, Mr Partridge will let us all know. It's been a pretty long while that they have been looking!

vonwegen and JediJoker like this.
  20. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I just checked my attic. Didn't find them.

vonwegen, Matt S, metalrules and 6 others like this.
  21. Vinylsoul 1965

I thought they found the ES multis? Didn't Andy mention it on twitter? My bad!

22. As I recall they found some of the multi’s but He was tweeting about finding the master tapes.

hutlock and JediJoker like this.
  23. Thought I found them but it was just an old pizza box.

JediJoker and Downsampled like this.
  24. Vinylsoul 1965

AHH! Yes! Thanks for the clarification!

25. Vinylsoul 1965

When I sent tapes in to Steve and Kevin Gray to cut my album ROUND the only box I could find that would fit the tapes was an unused Pizza box from the local pizzeria!!! :)