Next XTC Steven Wilson 5.1 remix - BLACK SEA

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phil Tate, Jul 25, 2017.

1. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Plan9, jh901 and ermylaw like this.
  2. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I've only opened Drums and Wires and I did note that there is a blu-ray disc. Didn't pay attention since I don't use a BR player in my audio system (nor do I play DVD-A). There may come a time when I've got a hard drive in the chain and I can look into how to extract music files where applicable.

3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Straying off-topic, but is the Dent mastering work generally regarded by the forum as the best on CD?

4. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

John Dent has done the mastering on the newest ENGLISH SETTLEMENT and the corrected polarity SKYLARKING. Both are excellent!

Andy nor Dent has put out new stand alone CDs or LPs for the rest of XTC's catalog, yet.

Andy has hinted that he'd like to do more Original Master Recording CDs and vinyl at some point.

jh901 and Plan9 like this.
  5. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

"Black Sea" may well be my favorite of them all.

6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The great thing with DVD-Audio discs is that they usually have a standard DVD-V layer. Only surround won't be lossless.

7. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

And it's relatively easy to rip DVD-Audio - even I can do it!

What I lack in my audio setup is surround. So I have my PS3 hooked up via optical to a Schiit DAC that feeds into my stereo setup. I don't know if that's the best way or not, but at least sound comes out when I play blu-rays! I don't like having to boot up the PS3 and the projector and go thru menus just to listen to things, though. Although I am intrigued by these releases that apparently have lots of different versions on the one blu-ray disc.

Plan9 likes this.
  8. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

10th November will see the release of the fifth in a series of XTCexpanded and remixed reissues on blu-ray/CD. Black Sea is the band's fourth album from 1980, including a UK hit single in Sgt Rock is Going to Help Me, as well as other XTC classics such as Respectable Street, Generals and Majors, No Language in Our Lungs, and Travels in Nihilon. As with previous releases in this series it's another virtual box set on a single disc - the blu-ray will feature my new stereo and 5.1 surround sound mixes, the original mix, B-sides, demos and promo videos. In addition to the 11 album tracks, another 7 tracks from the same period have been remixed into stereo and 5.1, including a previously unissued Colin Moulding song Let's Ban the Bomb, and non-album single Take This Town. Pre-orders from Burning Shed will begin on Monday and include a postcard signed by the band's drummer Terry Chambers. The cd/blu-ray is presented in special packaging with an expanded booklet and sleeve-notes by Andy Partridge, Colin Moulding, Terry Chambers, Dave Gregory and Hugh Padgham.

granata, hutlock, SJB and 2 others like this.
  9. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

I'm through the roof with this!!! :-popcorn:

I have all the other mixes and have been waiting for this baby.

10. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

gotta burning shed link that works for the pre-order?

11. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

great news but I still want English Settlement!!

12. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Pre-orders from Burning Shed will begin on Monday and include a postcard signed by the band's drummer Terry Chambers.

13. DetroitDoomsayer

14. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Steven Wilson says the new set will include sleeve notes by Colin Moulding! That's great news - Andy Partridge had previously reported that Colin had refused to provide notes. I'm glad his voice will be heard alongside everyone else's. I also hope they find a U.S. distributor for the band documentary that recently completed filming. Two band alumni (Dave Gregory and Terry Chambers) attended the documentary's premiere - here they are with Steven Wilson and the director, Charlie Thomas.
    [​IMG]

15. DetroitDoomsayer

I noticed that there's no mention of Instrumental mixes.

This has to be a forgotten mention in SW's blurb, right? I can't see them suddenly not doing an instrumental mix, that seems silly.

DonnyMe likes this.
  16. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Damn straight. What else will I do for my monthly XTC karaoke night?!

jamesc, DetroitDoomsayer and DonnyMe like this.
  17. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Unless there are so many other things included that disc space is the issue - these sets have pushed the limits as is, and if it comes down to dropping instrumental stuff in favor of demos, unreleased tracks etc I'll take it.

But whatever - lets wait for the official announcement with *all* the details - very possible that his post just didn't mention it, probable I'd guess, as most think of XTC as a "song" band, not an instrumental one (that stuff's a bonus for nuts like us)

DonnyMe likes this.
  18. DetroitDoomsayer

I hope he just forgot to mention it.
    The Instrumental mixes have been an eye opening highlight for me.

Personally, I could use a few less demos. B-sides, unreleased songs, I'm down with that sorta stuff, but demos just aren't that interesting for me except if it's an unreleased/unrecorded song.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    DonnyMe likes this.
  19. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Any guesses on the 7 extra tracks (b-sides) remixed, would 'the colonel's' 2 tracks fit here?

DonnyMe likes this.
  20. SJB

Wilson identified two tracks - "Let's Ban the Bomb" and "Take This Town." Earlier editions of Black Sea included three B-sides - "Somnambulist," "Don't Lose Your Temper" and "Smokeless Zone," so those are likely inclusions. That leaves two. The General's tracks could show up, but I wonder if we'll get the single version of "Respectable Street" which has re-recorded vocals. (The single version of "Towers of London" is longer than the album version, but Wilson has generally been removing the crossfades so the longer fade may end up in the regular album running order.) There are also more tracks in the instrumental "Homo Safari" series that could be used.

DonnyMe likes this.
  21. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Respectable Street vocals are re-recorded AND edited because the label thought some of the stuff would keep the BBC from playing the single (references to abortion, STDs, sex positions, etc.) but it turns out the part they really objected to stayed in there... "portable Sony entertainment centers." The track is remixed from the album version too. I'm hoping it's on there.

DonnyMe likes this.
  22. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Yes, 7 remixed tracks isn't the same as only 7 bonus tracks, I'm sure everything available will be included

DonnyMe likes this.
  23. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

The missing two I'd wager as 'Strange Tales, Strange Tails', 'Officer Blue' and /or 'Over Rusty Water' (if the new song hasn't had the 5.1 treatment).

DonnyMe likes this.
  24. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x Thread Starter

November 10 is great news - especially as Andy said it wouldn't be released until next year due to his Ape label manager suffering a "deep personal loss".

25. SJB

It's possible that the CD will have seven bonus tracks, with more on the Blu-ray, like they did with Drums and Wires. Speaking of which...

"Officer Blue" and "Over Rusty Water" are both on the Drums and Wires Blu-ray, so I would not expect to see them again on Black Sea. According to Andy's liner notes in Rag & Bone Buffet, "Strange Tales, Strange Tails" was recorded during the Go 2 sessions, even though, like the previous two tracks, it was released as a B-side during the Black Sea period. The band's use of so many vault tracks as B-sides makes me suspect that there aren't very many fully-realized outtakes from the album sessions.

hutlock and DaverJ like this.