NHT resurrects the SuperOne....the SuperOne 2.1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

I remember the original SuperZero being available in a wood veneer finish. Not sure about the SuperOne.

Yeah, I'd pay extra for a different finish.

2. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Bob at NHT told me they had tried it and it was not a big seller. He also mentioned that the factory in China they're working with is capable of premium wood veneer finishes. My guess is they aren't all that interested in trying it again.

3. They've moved some SuperZero production back to the USA. I wonder if they will do the same for the SuperOne?

4. soundboy

Just the powered SuperZero. Of course, NHT could introduce a powered version of the SuperOne.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  5. soundboy

Billy Budapest likes this.
  6. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I wish they'd make a new large tower speaker.

7. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

Would you replace a pair of B&W DM 601 speakers with these? Also, how do these compare with Warfedale Diamond 10.1 especially in terms of bass response? I do like to have the lower bass range at my disposal and prefer to not use a sub.

8. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I am in the market for a small and cheap pair of speakers to temporarily replace my Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1. I like the Ascends but my room is small and I feel they are too large and have too much bass for my liking. I'm also considering the PSB Alpha at $300 and the Paradigm Atom Monitor 7. Can anyone give anymore feedback that has heard the NHT SuperOne? I have read mostly positive reviews on it but also some negative reviews that make me hesitant to purchase. They will be driven by Rega Brio 50 watt amp.

9. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

What negative reviews? I just bought another pair of the SuperOne 2.0's. Buy direct from NHT and they'll pay return shipping if you don't like them. I've never heard anything at the price point close to them. They're also called giant killers for a reason. Their design goal is transparency, no signature sound like so many manufacturers build into their equipment. What's on the recording is what you hear. Some people don't like that. NHT fans do.

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Where are these new ones made?

11. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

These would make a great shoot out with the PSB Alpha B1's, which are also great. Put a set of those Harbeth's in there and do a double blind first.

12. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Sam, China. My originals from the 90's were made here but such is the way America has gone. Of course, if they were still made in California, they'd be at least twice the cost.

13. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I was originally going to go with 4 new SuperOnes and a SuperCenter for the kid's side of the basement but ultimately chose the Andrew Jones Pioneer setup at half the price. They sound embarrassingly good.

Bill

14. Jay_S

Jay_S Well-Known Member

I still use a pair of the originals with my desktop computer. Original cost in 1997 was $250 / pair. As placed on top of my desk, without appropriate stands, the sound quality of the SuperOnes is OK.

15. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Yep, I'm perfectly happy with my Chinese KEF LS50's. Not everything made in China is junk, I see a lot anti-China on this site unfortunately.

Helom and wgb113 like this.
  16. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

I use china all the time, but I am vehemently anti-tupperware.
    -Bob

17. soundboy

Even later production runs of the original NHT SuperOnes were produced in China.

18. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Regardless of where they're made, they're a helluva good speaker.

carlosmante and wgb113 like this.
  19. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

They will be well worth the money...compared to the P3ERS. I love Harbeth, but you really have to think about what $2K can buy.

gingerly likes this.
  20. Doug Dabbs

Doug Dabbs Active Member

I wanted to upgrade my front three speaker of my Energy Take Classics and have been doing a massive amount of research. I will using this 98.2% of the time for movies and TV. I had narrowed my decision down to three choices: The NHT SuperOne 2.1, Wave Crest Audio HVL-1, and the Ascend HTM-200 SE. I am heavily leaning to the SuperOne 2.1. However, I do have a few questions, the first one being the most important.

• Would one of these work as a center channel turned horizontally? Would it hurt the quality at all? My wife agreed that I could get new front three speakers as long as they don’t get too big. The typical dedicated center is too big. It also looks as thought the NHT SuperCenter 2.1 isn't quite the speaker the SuperOne 2.1 is. It is a MTM arrangement, which after a lot of research seems to be an issue. It has small speakers, and only goes down to 85hz, which would not let me use a crossover of 80hz. If I can use the SuperOne 2.1 as a center, even if it does reduce quality just a bit, it seems as though it should still sound better than the SuperCenter. Does that seem right?

• I haven't been able to find a ton of reviews on these, which leads me to my next question: How would you describe the soundstage? Would these have a smaller sweet spot (like the Elac B5) or larger soundstage (like the R5Bi)?

• These are known for their accurate mids, right? Isn't that supposed to be the highlight of the speaker? Again, I will using this primarily for movies and TV.

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to your thoughts!

21. lbkwhitney

lbkwhitney New Member

22. lbkwhitney

lbkwhitney New Member

Would the NHT Superzero 2.1 work as surround speakers in a 4.1 music only system? I have full range Avalons at the front. I can't afford similar quality speakers for the surrounds.

23. Joseph S Barbera

Joseph S Barbera New Member

I have a pair of the original NHT Super Ones sealed with NHT factory marked tape in their original boxes. I'm not sure how long I'm going to hold them before selling them but these speakers are becoming HiFi classics and new in the box has to continue to rise in price as I doubt there's another set out there. Boxes are in mint condition also always stored in climate controlled room. I also have a used pair but nowhere to set them up. My main speakers are the awesome NHT 2.9. I hope to get the 3.3 someday but these fit so nicely in most rooms and the 3.3 doesn't so I'm happy with the 2.9 which is basically the same design as the 3.3 in a smaller cabinet with a 10 inch sub versus the 12 in the 3.3 that weighs 78 lbs versus 123 lbs and easier to move around. The wife factor of the 2.9 is better then the 3.3 too and if I want the ultimate in bass I can hook up my 18" 103 lb Velodyne. I thin,k the best way to describe the sound of the 2.9 is electrostatic with dynamic drivers. The Ones in combination with a high quality sub would have similar sound but they really need a quality sub set up correctly or you could mess up the sound of the ones.

24. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

So...are either pair of the SuperOnes for sale???;)

25. These r very inexpensive. How you anyone describe the NTH sound overall? Would these be good for metal music?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.