NIAGARA - a drumming sensation...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eroc, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eroc

Eroc Active Member Thread Starter

Does anyone know "Niagara"? Those jazzy projects of German drummer Klaus Weiss, who recently passed away...?

I'm remastering right now the first four "Niagara" albums for M.I.G. Music, from the original analog tapes. Boy - Klaus Weiss - what a hell of a drummer! Absolute breathtaking patterns and arrangements. The album "Afire" which I did this afternoon consits all over only of drums and percussion. Highly recommended for everyone who likes all kinds of rhythms.

- Eroc

2. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

yeah I have two on original vinyl -"Niagara" and "Afire" (they liked the female form :D) but missed "Sub"

Of the two I have I play "Niagara" more-I never thought a percussion only album could be this good and keep my attention

There is a 4th album :confused: :eek:-never knew that

Great to hear you are remastering and they will be available again to a (hopefully) wider audience

great stuff-I also liked his big band albums and "It's all one" with Friedrich Gulda

I had seen the news of his death on Youtube and Eberhard
    Kranemann's website

3. Eroc

At least three I'm doing right now: "Afire" and "S.U.B." plus a thing called "Sangandongo". The fourth ("Niagara") will arrive on o-tapes next week. But there's more in the pipe as I understood M.I.G. Music. I think this label has done a great start since November 2009. Next e.g. will be the re-release of Grobschnitt Story 1 + 2, remastered plus new pictures and finally sleeves with English text, too. Also the very very (!) first album of Grobschnitt, never released until today is on schedule for April 2010. Absolutely interesting for all Kraut-fans...

- Eroc

4. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I love Sangadongo. I first heard it in a nightclub about 15 years ago and it had an amazing effect on the dancers. It just builds and builds for 20 minutes or so. Killer track.

5. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

:eek: :cool:

good grief !

Do M.I.G. Music have a website ??

6. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

do you mean something from before your 1st LP release on Brain? (1972, CD on Repetoire 2002) What's the story with that ??? Details PLEASE !!!! :)

7. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I've heard SUB. Great album with really amazing grooves. Kind of a Miles Davis (fusion-era) feel to some of the stuff.

8. Eroc

Yes, brandnew. Here it is: http://migmusicde.h826747.serverkompetenz.net/

M.i.G. Music was founded in November 2009 by Manfred Schütz, who was the head of SPV for 25 years. He has some of the best former SPV members on board now in his new company, as they are e.g. Ecki Stieg (A&R), Winfried Pinnau (management) or Tanja Michaelis (secretary). The latest news: M.i.G. currently is signing with German Rockpalast to release various live concerts on CD. You can see them already on their website...

- Eroc

9. Eroc

On this "first" album you'll find exactly the same tracks like on the Metronome/Brain LP plus two previously unreleased tracks. But they were recorded 6 months before the album-tracks for Brain. We played them "live" without a keyboarder. They sound much more intensive and "living". In the booklet (German & English) you'll find a lot of information about the year 1971 and also about the recording sessions with Conny Plank for the Metronome LP. Also lots of great pictures from back then.

A must-have for each Grobschnitt fan... :righton:

- Eroc

10. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

but without the 29:40 Die Sinfonie live from Hagen Volkspark 9/71 bonus track that's on the last release, I assume....seems like a 2CD deluxe edition with that whole show is in order....

11. Jeff Carney

A must have for any fan of German rock! My favorite Grobschnitt album will always be the first. Love many of them, but that first one just has a special vibe for me.

12. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

13. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

Mucho gracias amigo. :goodie:

14. Eroc

This album presents (as I said) the 1st LP's songs in the same running order, but sounding much more authentic. Plus a new sensation: this morning I found another tape which I missed for decades. So we finally will have four or five (!) bonus-tracks added. "About My Town" in a previously unreleased version, plus three or four other unknown tracks, which never were released before.

My old friend Stefan Kleinkrieg (guitar player for "Extrabreit") had the right statement when he heard those recordings from back then. He simply said: "You sounded like the Westfalian Santana...".

And I'm also into restoring a bunch of great pictures showing the band plus the recording sessions for the Metronome/Brain LP in December 1971 at Hamburg Windrose Studios, hosted by Conny Plank. That's REAL historic material, folks... :righton::righton::righton:

- Eroc

15. Jeff Carney

Very exciting news, Eroc! :cheers:

16. Eroc

Back to "Niagara" - the 1st o-tape dates back to early 1971. It's in brilliant shape and sounds great. It even smells like to good old days... :righton:

Attached Files:

17. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

yep-thats my fav originally titled Niagara (their eponymous first lp) with Keith Forsey,Udo Lindenberg,Cotch Blackmon and Danny Fichelsher among others
    Sangandongo took up one side of this -so perhaps the other Sangandongo you got sent was a different mix ???

also my copy of "AFire" is on the "Finger" label-??????

18. Eroc

This "Sangandongo" from the tape is @ 19 minutes. I can tell you more facts when I got the labelcopies from the company. Hopefully this week...

- Eroc

19. Eroc

Actual details: M.I.G. Music will release Niagara as a 3-set box containing the albums "Niagara", "Afire" and "S.U.B.".

- Eroc

20. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

thanks for the update

I assume thats cd ? .... but vinyl would be lovely (to replace my slightly worn originals)

21. Eroc

I don't know if M.i.G. intends to join the vinyl renaissance. They're just bulding up their company from scratch. If you're on the run for great vinyl maybe it's a good idea to check out Nasoni Records Berlin. I work for them, too:

www.nasoni-records.com

Cheers!

- Eroc

22. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

Any ideas on a release date? I'm very interested in this set.

23. Eroc

Official release shall be by end of April. Maybe you should have a look at their website for further details:

www.mig-music.de

- Eroc

24. Gene Parmesan

Any update? I can't find any info on this set yet.

25. Gene Parmesan

Bump for answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.