Nice Jazz 7 cd set

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by audiospirit, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiospirit

audiospirit Active Member Thread Starter

2. bresna

bresna Senior Member

That seller has a couple of rarities in his list. The CD "Blue Trails" rarely shows up for sale anywhere. Most of the tracks have been issued in the US, but this CD is the only place where you can get the Japanese mastering. Too bad the seller doesn't list the shipping to the US. I'd bite at the Eddie Henderson CD.

3. audiospirit

He has worldwide shipping,so he will answer to your question for US shipping rate (I hope so)

4. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

It seems like it was just a few years ago when I could see the copies of Blue Trails at many record stores (Tower, Harmony House, Music for a Song, etc.) around here. That's a nice CD to have, certainly. I still wish Toshiba-EMI had done a mutiple CDs set that collected all alternates and unissued tracks from the 1500 series like they did for the 4000 series.

The Henderson CD is a rare one, isn't it? Many titles on IDA are very difficult to find in the US. Maybe they are easier to find in Europe but I've seen some Barney Wilen CDs going for a ridiculous amount of money recently.

:wave:

5. audiospirit

I just got it for me,thank you for recommendation.

6. audiospirit

I'm not sure 7cd box set is rare,but I know it definitely sounding right.

7. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I have a couple of Wilen's IDA CDs and man, were they hard to find! Funny thing is, one of them is kinda "eh", so it really wasn't worth the trouble finding it. :D

A, you'll have to let us know if that Henderson date is good. I've only seen it a few times but never heard it.

8. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

There was a Toshiba-EMI Lp set...perhaps you already know and are speaking strictly about cds though...

9. audiospirit

I will do,in same thread

10. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Scott, I have that LP set. :D

11. audiospirit

If it is not big secret,why label IDA is so collectable? Only because this label cds is rare or because they have some nice music too?

12. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

The label had some nice music, for sure. That the artists recorded for the label (Barney Wilen and Laurent de Wilde, for instance) have enthusiastic fans who wish to hear everything they did certainly helps, too. :) If you look at the musicians who recorded for the label, it's the who's who of top European jazz musicians in the 1980s and the early 1990s. :cool:

Some titles from the IDA catalog was reissued in Japan by Venus Records, iirc, and those are collectible as well. I sold two of them a few years ago and got paid quite handsomely.

If one's interested Jazz Loft is listing a copy of Barney's Sanctuary for $17.99. That's a good deal ... unless it's the one Kevin found kinda "eh." :D

13. bresna

bresna Senior Member

The two IDA Barney Wilen CDs I have are "La Note Bleue" (excellent) and "Wild Dogs of the Ruwenzori" (not so excellent). The line-up on "Snctuary" is rather minimalist. Is it good?

Kevin

14. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

I'm afraid I haven't heard it, Kevin. La Note Bleue, French Ballads and Talisman are the ones I heard. French Ballads is my favorite of the three.

I will copy the comment from Penguin Guide (4th Ed.) instead for you.
    The guide gave this one a 4-star rating. However, you should also be aware that Cook and Morton called La Note Bleue disappointing and raved about Wild Dogs. :D

15. audiospirit

Ok,I've got Eddie Henderson,nice sound,music stylistically close to cool Miles Davis,only one song is fast.Nice jazz,but not 100% my taste.If I like ballads,for me is better Chet Baker or Miles Davis itself.So,if anybody want this cd,I can sell for for what I've purchased it+shipping.

p.s

IDA Label is rare here too.I was in many used cd places yesterday,no such cds for sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.