Nice review of the 'LS-50 killer' - Sierra 2's with RAAL ribbon tweeter

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, they really suck at updating their webpage - these have been out almost a year. They were running low on bamboo (for cabinets) for awhile so production was slow. But I think as of last week they have these in stock.

timind likes this.
  2. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

I compared both head-to-head in my house and kept the LS50s. The realism and tonality was significantly better than the Sierras, though they're no slouches.

Art K and timind like this.
  3. Helom

Helom Forum member

I think it's a stretch to call any speaker an LS50 "killer" when talking about freqs above 80Hz. Different? Certainly. Better...well, the uber expensive systems I've encountered certainly didn't image much better, nor were they significantly more resolving. The differences were largely in scale and bass output. There are many speakers that kill them when it comes to false detail through boosted highs.

4. Benjamin Reed

Benjamin Reed Well-Known Member

Yeah but they look ****e compared to the Black/copper LS50s...

5. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

One set of speakers in the $1000-$1,500 range that I tried and didn’t expect to love (despite a glowing Stereophile review) but did were the Polk LSiM703. Honestly, if someone wanted an alternative to the LS50, that would be my recommendation, above the Sierra2, SVS Prime, X14, Venere 2.0, and Ikon 2.

SandAndGlass and timind like this.
  6. Echidna Arf

Echidna Arf Well-Known Member

And they're much cheaper. I guess I should audition these.

7. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

LS35a, or anyone else with experience, how do these Sierra 2s, lunas and ls50s compare with your Harbeth P3ESRs?

8. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

Absolutely. I was biased against brands that I perceived as Best Buy fodder, but these were as excellent as the Stereophile review said. LS50s had the edge on tonal accuracy, but both were great at imaging, dynamics, and detail. Low end extension was tight and fuller than the LS50s, though a nice subwoofer improves both. Without a sub, I could easily see preferring the Polks.

The other nice thing about the Polks is they’re heavy and built like a tank. They also have this convex cover over the rear bass port to reflect it outward, which makes for easier placement by a wall.

9. timind

timind phorum rezident

And Polk runs 50% off sales a couple times a year on the LSi series. Very difficult to resist when that email hits me.

10. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

They so close you really have to hear it for yourself. If you are only classical, maybe P3ESR. If you like a little Daft Punk now and then, maybe Sierra 2's.

11. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Interesting, i am surprised to hear that they sound similar. thanks for the input.

12. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Little bit off-topic, but I love my larger LSiM705s, which I picked up during the 50% off sale last fall.

timind likes this.
  13. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

Well, I'm going to be joining the group of Sierra 2 owners in a week's time. I tried to read as much as possible about these speakers but, eventually, the proof is in the pudding. I'm curious to see how these will handle and Hard Rock and Heavy Metal with my Cronus Magnum II. Fingers crossed.

bluemooze and patient_ot like this.
  14. shiwo

shiwo Well-Known Member

Congrats! I'm very interested by those speakers as well so please report back :)

15. Omnio

Well, it seems I've run into my first scammer by buying online, after 50+ successful transactions. I have picked up the Sierra-2 speakers today from Fedex. I was getting home from a 12 hour graveyard shift dead tired and swang by for the pack not noticing that it was supposed to be 2 boxes, not one. (My previous Nola Boxer 2 speakers were in one box). I've signed for it and at home I've relaized that there was only one speaker in the box, and even that was a Sierra-1, not 2. Ouch. On the box it says Sierra-2.

Fedex just confirmed that sender dispatched only one box, not two. What's more, upon checking up on the seller's profile, he has sold 2 pairs of Sierra-2s in four days time, the second one being mine. I wonder if he sent the other speaker to another sucker, and charging for the whole price, twice. Anyhow, I have contacted USaudiomart and been waiting for their reply. I have purchased the speakers with the direct buy button on that website.

I hooked up the one speaker to my rig, just for the hell of it but I don't think I'm qualified to even come up with a preliminary assessment with a sole speaker. Besides, I was ordering/expecting the Sierra-2, not one. Bummer.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  16. Helom

Helom Forum member

Wow, that really sucks. Did the seller have good feedback on AudioMart?

17. Omnio

Just one positive feedback - when he bought a pair of Sierra speakers.

18. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Did you talk to them at all before the sale? I don't think I've ever bought anything that had a buy now button, and I've always exchanged emails back and forth to negotiate the price and get a feel for the seller. But yea, it's a gamble, hope you get it resolved, they are really nice little speakers, love the ribbon tweeters, just saw there is another set up on USAM now for sale, hope it's not the same guy ... Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2

19. Omnio

For the first time I just pulled the trigger by using the buy button. No preliminary chit-chat this time. Unfortunately.

20. Omnio

Update: Just received the second speaker. Apparently there were two tracking numbers and USAudiomart had sent me just one. Also, it turns out, that these speakers were born Sierra-1s but then upgraded by the company to 2. After I got ahold of seller he promptly responded and was very helpful. The speakers are now hooked up to my Cronus Magnum II and I'm liking them. The first impression after the Nola Boxer 2S was that the soundstage shrank, quite a bit. But I'm getting used to it. Otherwise these speakers are even more detailed and bass response is almost as plentyful as with the Nolas. Well-recorded Hard Rock and Metal sound just as good as female vocal, I'm in the pink. Kokia, Clair Marlo, Marissa Nadler, etc. - I'm quite enjoying these bad boy speakers. Classical will be tested later on.

Unfortunately the second speaker came with an ugly dent on it so I must contact Fedex to sort it out. Never had to make a claim, does it work smoothly?

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

How are the Sierras off-axis? I've heard the ribbon tweeter can pose some issues if you're not directly in the sweet spot.

22. Omnio

I can confirm that the sound changes for the worse by standing up from the sweet spot.

23. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Ribbons don't have the greatest vertical dispersion, but in the horizontal axis you shouldn't have any issues. Properly implemented the RAAL ribbon tweeters are incredible IMO.

johnnypaddock and patient_ot like this.
  24. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Agreed, and depending on the crossover type, the somewhat limited vertical dispersion can be a benefit to control the off axis node effects as the driver responses blend together. The in-room sound with my MA ribbon tweeters is really sweet and airy throughout the room, but I think part of that is just because, like most ribbon tweeters, they have such a smooth and extended response without the resonance peak in the audio range.

heathen and patient_ot like this.
  25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Thanks. I've heard good things about ribbon tweeters as far as the sound and reproduction of the highs goes. I might look for them when I am ready to upgrade my speakers. That said I often listen to my stereo sitting at my desk instead of in the sweet spot so I was curious about the non-sweet spot sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.