Nicest / most personable musician you've met?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Loving this thread. I have had my share of pleasant experiences. I'll recall my two favorites.

Area is an Italian band I'm very fond of, I think the best this country ever had. I grew up loving their records and kicking myself because I would never be able to attend one of their shows as it looked like they were permanently disbanded when drummer Giulio Capiozzo died of an heart attack in 2000. Surprisingly, in 2009 the surviving members of their classic line-up reunited and in April 2014 I managed to catch them (for free! It was a free event). Before them there was an unimpressive opening band, so I wandered a bit around the place (outdoors), and I met their guitar player Paolo Tofani. I waved at him and, unexpectedly, he high fived me and shook my hand. After a while, I spot keyboardist Patrizio Fariselli, which is the mind of the band and one of my musical heroes. He was standing there watching the opening band so I decided to try and approach him. A supernice and laid back guy. After discussing a little bit about Area and their latests projects/tours, I mention how much important is their music for me and that this is my first time seeing them. He looks pleased. After 10 minutes or so, he told me they are about to play, so I shook his hand and I went to the first row. As soon as they started, they blew me away: a fabulous show with some unexpected tracks as well. Due to singer Demetrio Stratos' absence (he died in 1979), the concert was all instrumental, but they still sounded like the Area I know and love. At the end of their set, I got to met the whole band for photos and an autographs. All of them were very friendly and accessible. Fariselli recognized me and with a big smile asked "So? Did you enjoy it?". Did I?!? 2014 was not on of my greatest years, but that night is a very happy and special memory. Wonderful bunch of guys and one of my favorite bands ever.

Five years ago I went to see Yellowjackets with my brother, who is a massive fan. I like them, but I can't call them my favorite band. The line-up was Russell Ferrante, Bob Mintzer, Jimmy Haslip, who left a bit later, and Will Kennedy. In spite of some sound and location problems (it was yet another outdoor concert and there was heavy rain in the afternoon so they had to move the stage), the show was very good and being a drummer, I was mostly impressed by Will Kennedy. My brother was in heaven and after the show, seeing that the band was staying for a meet and greet with fans, we went to the stage. They treated us like old friends. Will Kennedy even teased us ("excuse me, mr. Kennedy can we take a photo with you?" "no, I'm sorry" "oh... okay" "JUST KIDDING!!"), Mintzer and Haslip looked tired but were very approachable, though Bob looked a bit annoyed, not at me of course, when I told him he was barely visible from the stage due to a pilar which was placed in front of him, but my favorite exchange was with Russell Ferrante. My brother was extremely in awe and he was almost shaking, telling him how much of a big fan he is and how much they mean for him and I jokingly chimed in: "oh yeah, he's costantly annoying me by playing your albums". Russell was genuinely amused, laughed heartily and took a picture with us (of course I made clear that I was kidding and that I enjoyed the show). A band which I now hold in a much higher respect.

izgoblin likes this.
  2. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Robby Krieger

Richie Havens

Emmylou Harris
    (drop-dead gorgeous in person, too!)

Dan Hicks
    (we had a personal situation that he was very thoughtful about, so he was cool with me, though he's known to be a pretty moody guy in general)

Fullbug and Lost In The Flood like this.
  3. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Marky Ramone, really nice guy to talk with. He was the first professional muscian I ever met and hung out with. He just happen to be at a friends party here nyc. I didn't know until my friend pointed out to me that Marky and his girlfriend were at the party. We hung out chatting for most of the evening and I also got a poster signed. Great guy.

Sneaky Pete and Bobbo like this.
  4. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I guess I'm lucky in that all the artists I've met -- mostly pre/post show at smaller clubs -- have been really friendly. Steve Wynn and the guys from the Dictators stand out though.

5. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I've only really met about a dozen or so musicians, but most just involved some small talk. Bonnie Raitt was down to earth. Freebo was a hoot. John Dawson and David Nelson were friendly but wanted just to party. Peter Rowan shared a doob with us between sets and was very deep, in a spiritual way. Frank Wakefield was very funny and gracious, and gave me a mandolin pick and playing advice. Jaimoe from the Allman Bros is the nicest guy you want to meet. Country artist Cole Swindell is just totally normal and amazed at his success. I could see having a few beers at a bar with him.

The artists I chatted with longer. Robert Hunter was very funny and spoke like he wrote: in perfect, pithy sentences. Bob Weir was extremely approachable and showed no ego, contrary to his stage persona. I got to chat privately with him for about a half hour in '76 and told him I was a bit nervous meeting a rock hero of mine. He said "I'm just the same as you. We're just people." That relaxed me, and we had a great talk about various stuff, including an idea for a "pinkie pick" that he had. I met and talked many times in 1983 with Carols Santana, who lived in Aptos, CA, one town over from me. He couldn't have been nicer. Of course he reeked of herb, so that helped! But I have to say that the nicest of them all was Stevie Wonder. I was working at Pacific Stereo in Monterey, California, when he came in with some friends. They went off to a sound room with a salesman and he stayed at the counter talking to us. He said right off "Sorry about that tree out front. They let me drive today." He cracked himself up. Then he told us some funny stories that he was involved in. When his friends picked out some stuff, he handed us his AMEX card with "Stevland Morris" on it. Instead of signing, he took out a stamp pad and put his thumb print where his signature would go. A real class act, and extremely funny guy!

6. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Met Andy Shernoff maybe five years ago. Super nice.

EDIT: Actually, met Dick Manitoba several years before that, at the Lakeside in NYC. Introduced to me as Richard. He surprised me by being both quieter and smaller than I expected.

7. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I've never met Andy. But HDM has always been really nice. Thunderbolt, Ross the Boss, and Dean Rispler are really great as well.

8. keith1959

keith1959 Forum Resident

I've met a few Clash fans over the years who said they hated Led Zeppelin at the time,
    although they'd never actually heard anything by them, at least nothing they remembered.
    But by now, say the 90s or 2000s, they'd heard several things and liked them.
    It was the mind set in those days, you had to be of that opinion to fit in.

Similarly, several DJ's and music writers converted to the punk ethic for several years
    but at some point revisited the music they'd been contemptuous of for so long.
    When they listened to Joni Mitchell or Rolling Stones albums again, they instantly enjoyed them again, and felt they'd been ridiculous denying themselves the pleasure of them for so
    long just to be 'hip'. This from several BBC radio programmes about the punk years.

Re- the Clash and Led Zeppelin, a few years before he died there was an article on Joe Strummer in MOJO I think, where he recalled his art school days. They did nothing but skive off, listening to 'Let It Bleed', or 'Led Zeppelin 2' etc. all afternoon. He said it was cool listening to all this great music instead of working. I thought that odd given the vitriol they were pouring out in the second half of the 70s about such bands, but as I mentioned the comment about Led Zeppelin album covers actually came from Paul Simonon I think.

Fullbug, Lost In The Flood and Mr Sam like this.
  9. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I hung out with Rush backstage when I was 12 years old. Geddy Lee was the nicest guy, as you might expect.

John Bliss, clhboa and Scooter59 like this.
  10. john lennonist

A very good friend of mine has spent dozens of hours with Tom Waits and his family and says the same thing -- really cool, down-to-earth guy! :righton:

11. john lennonist

Forgot to mention earlier...

Margo Timmins (Cowboy Junkies)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  12. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

Bob Babbitt

Farmer Mike likes this.
  13. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

I'm flabbergasted. Dale never played Northern California (I'm originally from San Jose, myself) until 1992?
    I would've thought he had at least played the Santa Cruz Boardwalk at some point, as that venue has been hosting bands since the 60's.

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I know, amazing, right? But he very clearly stated at the show that this was the first time he ever played up north.

geo50000 likes this.
  15. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Love that video!

action pact likes this.
  16. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I've met a lot and I'd say that it has to be Warren Haynes.

painted8, Myke, Dusty Sommers and 2 others like this.
  17. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

I'm tempted to say Davy Jones; he was a real gentleman. However, Ollie Halsall was so engaging and generous with his time, he gets my vote.

John Bliss and Hutch like this.
  18. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

Tom Petty – I met him when I was about 15 and he was just lovely. He knew I was freaking out and he engaged me in a great conversation about modern music.
    Elvis Costello – Met him and he was great, but really it was when he was on stage and he used his mic stand to protect me from some aggressive concert goers that he went straight to my Fave Persons list.
    Darby Crash – He was one of the sweetest people I've ever known.
    John Doe – I had a huuuuuuuuuuge crush on him (okay, yeah... still do!) and met him several times back in the day. Even when he was totally wrecked, he was adorable – charming and intelligent and just so damn cool.

I've met others and can't really recall any as rude or disagreeable. Not even Van Morrison. :eek:

19. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

It was about 15 years ago, at Chattanooga's amazing Riverbend Festival. I attended his sound check, which actually was a very precise practice session for his band ("No, play that again, it's supposed to sound like this (demonstrating).") I talked with him afterwards and he remarked that he always enjoyed playing in Chattanooga, because the mountains reminded him of nearby Toccoa, Georgia, where he had joined his first band, the Avons, with Bobby Byrd. He couldn't have been more pleasant.

20. bodine

bodine Senior Member

One more--Ellas Bates, aka Bo Diddley. Met him the first time at an after-party after he opened for the Clash in DC, I think in 1979. He was great, wonderful storyteller and when I asked about Jerome Green his late, great maracas man he ripped off several hilarious unprintable tales about Jerome. As he kept talking and cackling I suddenly realized Mick Jones and Joe Strummer had gathered around, as entranced as I was.

Met him again around 1986 in Hollywood. I was at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel drinking coffee at the hotel coffee shop when someone plopped down at the counter next to me. Bo, of course, who informed me he had a minor role in some outer space vampire movie being shot down the street. I caught up on his career, listened to his complaints about the Chess brothers and then wished him well.

(BTW, after reading other posts, mighty heartwarming to see other folks had the same fun, easygoing encounters with Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn that I did--2 class acts!!!)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Pat Metheny. When he lived in Cambridge, MA, you'd sometimes find him walking around Harvard Square, or walking around Boston. He was so easy to talk to. Even at his gigs, he was easy to talk to (unlike Lyle Mays, whose defense was often initially up, but Pat would talk to anyone). I had run into him a few times in different places and we'd chat, but we were both at a gig of another musician, both audience members. Between sets, we both sat at the bar next to each other and we spent the entire time chatting - about 45 minutes. He had just come back from playing on the Joni Mitchell tour. We talked about that and a whole bunch of other stuff. I have never known a less pretentious, nicer musician of his stature as Pat.

22. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

I second the opinion of Dick Dale. (He almost broke my hand when he shook it though!)
    Marky Ramone. Great guy.
    Jerry Only from the Misfits treated me like an old friend I hadn't seen in ages.
    John McGeoch was a true gentleman.
    Brian White, despite being sleep deprived at the time and finishing a long gig was very friendly.
    David Crosby is as curmudgeonly as you would expect, but in a personable and amusing way.

John Bliss likes this.
  23. Also on this front: not a real meeting perhaps, but I did meet the guys in Skinny Puppy during an in-store autograph session in the mid-'80s, and they were totally easygoing and personable to us dorky teenagers. Didn't snap at us, whack us with a piece of meat, or write profane things on our albums or anything. :)

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Eric Andersen- spent some time with him years back...a wonderful human.

25. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

All true.

I met him soon after the release of Swordfishtrombones. He was as gracious as can be. When I told him I loved the new album, he asked which tracks I liked the most. I said "Frank's Wild Years" was a real standout track for me, although I also adored "Down, Down, Down" and "16 Shells." He chuckled and said, "Everybody likes that song. I wasn't even going to put it on the album, but my wife sort of made me. I'm never going to hear the end of it now." I've met quite a few musicians over the years, but he was, without a doubt, the most pleasant. (Although Bonnie Raitt was a very close second.)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.