Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 3, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

More News From Nowhere
    A little riff that has a slight Joy Division sound to it. With the chorus having almost a slow Deanna feel about it. This song is driven by the lyrics though and again we have a great Cave narrative that has great lyrics and phrasing. All in all a top shelf Cave and the Seeds album.

Marc 74 likes this.
  2. mark winstanley

Grinderman 2
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by Grinderman
    Released
    13 September 2010
    Recorded August 2008–2009 at RAK Studios, State of the Ark and Assault & Battery 2 in London, United Kingdom
    Genre Alternative rock, noise rock
    Length 41:17
    Label Mute
    Producer Nick Launay, Grinderman
    Grinderman chronology
    Grinderman
    (2007) Grinderman 2
    (2010)
    Singles from Grinderman 2
    1. "Heathen Child"
      Released: 6 September 2010
    2. "Worm Tamer"
      Released: 22 November 2010
    3. "Palaces of Montezuma"
      Released: 14 March 2011
    4. "Evil"
      Released: 16 April 2011
    5. "Mickey Mouse and the Goodbye Man"
      Released: 13 June 2011
    Grinderman 2 is the second and final studio album by alternative rock band Grinderman, a side project of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, released on 13 September 2010 on Mute Records in the United Kingdom and ANTI- in the United States.

Grinderman had been put on hold due to several members' involvement on Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds' fourteenth studio album, Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!, in 2008. After the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds summer tour in 2008, the band began recording the album in various studios throughout London.[1] Speaking to XFM, Cave noted that the album "will feature a totally different sound" and plan to "do it a more serious way this time"; he remarked that he did not plan for the album to receive commercial success.[2]

Recording was completed in August 2009—a year after the original sessions—production was completed in April 2010 at Seedy Underbelly in Los Angeles, and the album was produced by Nick Launay, a friend of the band, who had also produced Grinderman's self-titled debut, with additional production by the members of the band. In an interview with The Quietus in September 2009,[3] Warren Ellis confirmed that Grinderman 2 was completed. Ellis also described the album as "like stoner rock meets Sly Stone via Amon Düül", "very diverse", and "psychedelic." The album was released in September 2010, in a regular and a deluxe edition, the latter containing a 52-page booklet (illustrations by Ilinca Höpfner) and a poster (photography by Polly Borland).

The album's first single, "Heathen Child," was released in September 2010.[4] The music video was directed by long-time collaborator John Hillcoat. "Worm Tamer", the second single, was released on November 22. The music video was directed by Iain Forsyth and Jane Pollard

Grinderman 2 received mostly positive reviews, with some critics finding the album as superior to its predecessor, Grinderman, and holds an 83 score on Metacritic, denoting "universal acclaim."[5] Thom Jurek of AllMusic said it was a "more polished and studied affair than its predecessor" and "more sonically adventurous" while still being a "white-hot rock and roll record."[6] It has been described as "full of nightmares, but nightmares worth repeating."[16] Garry Mulholland of BBC Music said that Grinderman 2 had a "fuller sound, influenced as much by 60s garage punk and droning Krautrock as the blues."[17]
    -----------------------
    Again this is an album that i haven't heard at all. I am not sure why I bypassed the Grinderman albums, but anyhow. I will run through the songs and look forward to anyone who is more familiar with them (and actually bothering to read this thread) giving us any info and thoughts and feelings about the songs and album.

3. mark winstanley

Mickey Mouse and the Goodbye Man
    This is a nice raw rock song. The verses rely on a bass line to propel the song and then a dirty guitar punches us in the face during the chorus section. It works very well and has a great dynamic feel.

Marc 74 likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

Worm Tamer
    This song has a thumping violence to it, a raw damaging sound. It has a glance back at the Birthday Party without sounding like them, due to having a good deal of the history of the Bad Seeds sown into it. It sounds to me like I am missing out with these album and I figure I will need to rectify that at some point.

5. mark winstanley

Heathen Child
    Singer Nick Cave spoke of the song with Uncut magazine, mentioning that "Heathen Child" was "a quest to break from narrative song-writing in to something more impressionistic."[3]
    On 27 July 2010 the final studio version of the song was previewed on music website Soundcloud by
    Mute Records.[4]
    A definite rock influence in here and that seems to be the whole gist of grinderman.

Marc 74 likes this.
  6. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

As already mentioned i prefer the second Grinderman over the first. The songs are more accomplished and intense without losing the rawness and nastiness of its predecessor. The sound is just bigger and fuller. Grinderman 2 contains some real gems: Listen to the psychedelic Bellringer Blues or the exceptional When My Baby Comes that starts rather quite albeit with a threatful undertone before the whole thing explodes. Or the beautiful Palaces Of Montezuma: Released as a single on vinyl and CDr you should give the brilliant Cenzo Mix of the song a listen. But first here's the (rather strange) video for Heathen Child which was the first single:

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Great stuff

8. mark winstanley

When My Baby Comes
    The first thing that strikes me about this track is musically it sounds like the songs off Dig Lazarus Dig inspired the sound of this one, which would be a reversal. A nice guitar riff is set amongst some atmospherics, that include some electronic sounds and guitar effects with a bed of strings. I like the way this song works. About halfway we have a change of feel, which accentuates the styling that we had up to that point.

9. mark winstanley

What I Know
    This track starts off with some low mixed synth drones and some vinyl crackle. It is an interesting track with the distant sfx track we have a very close vocal, and it is set up like a form of techno ballad of sorts. It is quite unusual, but works very well.

10. mark winstanley

Evil
    This sounds a lot like Birthday Party to me and explosion of energy, not necessarily completely focused, but compelling.

11. mark winstanley

Kitchenette
    A dirty groove rolling along on here and yes I have to agree with @Marc 74 this album has a little more to offer than the debut.

Marc 74 likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

Palaces Of Montezuma
    Here we have a track that seems rooted in late 60's early 70's r & b or something along those lines. It certainly is a now song, but it has a feel that reflects something earlier. Very much enjoying this one.

13. mark winstanley

Bellringer Blues
    We have a collage of sounds welding together to open this up and then a groove forms out of that. This has a feeling of early Bad Seeds, but certainly rooted in the here and now.
    There seems to be a nod to the past with a foothold firmly in the present with this album.

14. mark winstanley

Push the Sky Away
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    Released
    18 February 2013
    Recorded December 2011–August 2012 at La Fabrique in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, France
    Genre Alternative rock
    Length 42:40
    Label Bad Seed Ltd
    Producer Nick Launay with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds chronology
    Live at the Royal Albert Hall
    (2008) Push the Sky Away
    (2013) Live from KCRW
    (2013)
    Singles from Push the Sky Away
    1. "We No Who U R"
      Released: 3 December 2012
    2. "Jubilee Street"
      Released: 15 January 2013
    3. "Mermaids"
      Released: 20 May 2013
    Push the Sky Away is the fifteenth studio album by the Australian alternative rock band Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, released on 18 February 2013[1] on the band's own label Bad Seed Ltd.[2] Recorded at La Fabrique in southern France, it is the band's first album not to feature founding member Mick Harvey, who departed the band in January 2009,[3] and the first album to feature founding member Barry Adamson since Your Funeral... My Trial (1986).

Push the Sky Away was recorded at La Fabrique, a recording studio based in a 19th-century mansion in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, France. It was produced by Nick Launay, who produced Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds three previous studio albums—Nocturama (2003), Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus (2004) and Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! (2008)— and Grinderman's two studio albums. Segments of the album's recording sessions were featured in the official trailer for Push the Sky Away, which was posted on YouTube upon the album's announcement.[4] The band entered the studio when Nick Cave had "unformed and pupal" ideas, and the band "[transformed] them into things of wonder."[5]

The process of the recording was documented in the documentary, 20,000 Days on Earth, released on September 17, 2014.

Describing Push the Sky Away in the album's press release, Nick Cave said "if I were to use that threadbare metaphor of albums being like children, then Push The Sky Away is the ghost-baby in the incubator and Warren's loops are its tiny, trembling heart-beat."[6] The songs on the album were written over the course of twelve months and "took form in a modest notebook" kept by Cave. The notebook contained notes on the album's songs, which were composed from "Googling curiosities, being entranced by exotic English Wikipedia entries 'whether they’re true or not'."[6] (The song We Real Cool also mentions Wikipedia by name.) According to Cave, the songs illustrate how the internet has influenced "significant events, momentary fads and mystically-tinged absurdities" and "question how we might recognise and assign weight to what's genuinely important."[6]

Due to health problems longtime drummer Thomas Wydler was unable to tour with the band in support of the album. Cave stated: "In some ways the new album is carried by [Wydler] and his participation. It’s very sad that he can´t do the tour because of health reasons. That is a hard blow for us. He is the sound of this album."[7]

The cover image shows Cave opening a window shutter to illuminate his naked wife, Susie Bick, and was shot by Dominique Issermann in the couple's own bedroom.[8]

Push the Sky Away was announced for release on 27 November 2012. Released on 18 February 2013,[6] the album was made available on standard CD, LP, digital download, limited edition deluxe CD/DVD and a "Super Deluxe" box set.[6] The album's lead single, "We No Who U R", was released as a digital download on 3 December and its second single, "Jubilee Street", was released on 15 January 2013. Push the Sky Away sold 15,000 copies in its first week of release in the United States.[9]

Prior to the album's announcement, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds disclosed plans to perform at Humphrey's Concerts By the Sea in San Diego, California 16 April 2013.[10] The announcement sparked rumours that the band would also perform at the 2013 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival,[10][11] which was later confirmed. On 3 December 2012, the band announced an Australian and North American tour accompanying Push the Sky Away's release. The six-date Australian leg of the tour commenced on 26 February 2013 in Sydney and concluded on 8 March in Brisbane,[12] and the twelve-date North American leg commenced on 14 March in Dallas, Texas and concluded on 3 April in Denver, Colorado.[13] Several dates at major European festivals were later announced, including performances at Primavera Soundin Spain,[14] NorthSide Festival in Denmark,[15] Exit Festival in Serbia and Greenville Music Festival in Germany.[16]

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds performed a one-off debut of Push the Sky Away in its entirety at Fonda Theatre in Hollywood, California on 21 February 2013. The performance was streamed live on YouTube and made available for stream for an additional 24 hours.[17]

Push the Sky Away was acclaimed by music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalised rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 81, based on 46 reviews, indicating "universal acclaim."[18] Allmusic rated Push the Sky Away three and a half out of five stars and reviewer Thom Jurek said the "songs contain simple melodies and arrangements that offer the appearance of vulnerability and tenderness [but] it is inside this framework that they eventually reveal their sharp fangs and malcontent."[19] Writing for The A.V. Club, Jason Heller asserted that the album's "oppressively hollow minimalism is both its biggest drawback and its greatest strength", noted the lack of "chemistry" in Mick Harvey's absence, and gave it a B- grade.[20] BBC Music writer James Skinner referred to the album as "certainly a far stranger, subtler record than that last Bad Seeds outing" and "an LP as weighty, compelling and brilliant as The Bad Seeds have ever produced."[29] Greg Kot of the Chicago Tribune called Push the Sky Away "an album without any shocking turns" but said "that 'tiny, trembling heart beat,' as Cave calls it, starts to sound louder with each listen" in his three out of four star review.[30] In his review for The Guardian, Dave Simpson awarded the album four out of five stars, described it as "funeral-paced songs and stripped-down music that calls to mind Leonard Cohen fronting James Blake minimalism" and drew comparisons between the album and The Boatman's Call (1997).[22]

Los Angeles Times' reviewer Randall Roberts said Push the Sky Away "is not a work to be appreciated casually. Cave delves into a meandering, meditative world that rarely offers the kind of hooks or tethers that dictate toe-tapping singalongs" in his three out of four star review.[24] Writing for the NME, Jenny Stevens described the album as a "majestic and desolate masterpiece" and noted that the band "merges the experimentation and freedom of their side projects with Cave's most tender songcraft", rating the album nine out of ten.[25] Pitchfork rated Push the Sky Away eight out of ten and reviewer Stuart Berman praised its "foggy reveries built upon ominously rumbling bass lines, twitchy rhythmic tics, and hushed-voice intimations", adding "it may not erupt with same force as the Bad Seeds' stormiest gestures, but the underlying menace fuelling it remains."[26]

In his three star review for Rolling Stone, Joe Gross said Push the Sky Away "is full of tiny sounds—plinking guitars, pulsing bass [and] lazy subtle drums."[27] Writing for Slant Magazine, Mark Collett stated: "subtle, sprawling, and often achingly beautiful, Push the Sky Away is a late-career masterpiece from an antipodean force of nature" and summarised that it was "an album of thrilling darkness pierced by moments of brilliant light."[31] USA Today' reviewer Edna Gundersen wrote that the release "may be more spare, somber and haunting than recent collections, but Cave's dark menace, devilish wit and yarn-spinning voodoo compensate for a lack of guitar bluster."[32]

The album debuted at No. 29 on Billboard 200,[33] and No. 9 on Top Rock Albums for charts dated March 9, 2013,[34] selling 15,000 copies in the first week. The album has sold 57,000 copies in the United States as of July 2016.[35]

Additional musicians
    • George Vjesticatwelve-string guitar (4, 5), backing vocals (5, 8)
    • Chris Dauray – saxophone (8)
    • Jessica Neilson – bass clarinet (8)
    • Ryan Porter – trombone (8)
    • Antonio Beliveau – backing vocals (1, 3, 7, 9)
    • Aya Peard – backing vocals (1, 3, 7, 9)
    • Jason Evigan – backing vocals (1, 3, 7, 9)
    • Natalie Wilde – backing vocals (1, 3, 7, 9)
    • Martha Skye Murphy – backing vocals (1, 3, 7)
    • Children of Ecole Saint Martin – backing vocals (4, 8, 9)
    -----------------------------------
    This album didn't instantly grab me, but has grown to be a favourite. I think it stands up with anything you would care to call their greatest work.
    What do you feel about this album?
    Let us know anything that comes to mind in regards to this album and your feelings toward it.

15. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

I like Push The Sky Away a lot and also voted for it in Mark's recent poll. That album certainly has an ethereal touch and that may be a problem for some people but as the poll shows it seems to be one of the bands' most popular albums. Like The Boatman's Call or No More Shall We Part it is a rather mellow album but Push The Sky Away has a lighter or airier and sometimes more eerily atmospheric sound. We Now Who U R,Wide Lovely Eyes,Mermaids and the title track are good examples. Amongst the (many) highlights of the album are certainly the epic Higgs Boson Blues and with Jubilee Street it contains in my opinion one of the best songs they have ever released.
    Definitively recommended.

I see Robert Johnson with a 10-dollar guitar
    Strapped to his back looking for a tomb
    Well here comes Lucifer with his canon law
    And a hundred black babies running from his genocidal jaw
    He got the real killer groove
    Robert Johnson and the devil, man
    Don't know who is gonna rip off who

16. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

I am alone now
    I am beyond recriminations
    Curtains are shut
    The furniture is gone
    I'm transforming
    I'm vibrating
    I'm glowing
    I'm flying
    Look at me now
    I'm flying
    Look at me now

17. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

This album came, even as a Nick Cave fan, as a shock to me. The beauty of great melodies, simple songs and strings from heaven made 'Push the Sky Away' even the best album I heard in this young Millenium.

People who would like to listen to a Nick Cave album for a first time will always get this album by me. Whatever someone's musical background is, no person can't deny this ear candy after listening this once or twice.

18. mark winstanley

definitely
    sadly, often these days i have a habit of listening to stuff while i am busy, or driving. often this means you miss the show but hear the audience in a manner of speaking. my first couple of (busy) listens left me feeling it was good, but a little bland. about the time i put that poll up, was when i started my review listening of Push, so i was a little more focused on it, and as I said to @Marc 74 I would have changed one of my votes at that point, but didn't think that was good form to do so.
    When you listen properly, this is a mesmerising album.

Echo and Marc 74 like this.
  19. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Beautiful album! filled with very touching melodies/vocals .
    The Gorgeous title track must be a soundtrack to an ending episode of a movie, a movie about A tragic missed opportunity of love , I can imagine the main character walking in a very long and empty street, Dark street filled with fog while he feels regret and sorrow. Such an hypnotic song with powerful lyrics to end amazing album.

Echo, Marc 74 and mark winstanley like this.
  20. mark winstanley

yea and the movie is called "On Jubilee Street"

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  21. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

of course I know :)
    that song can be perfect to many endings of different movies, Dark and gloomy movies

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  22. mark winstanley

Easy reference guide

Nick Cave - Who?
    - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

The Birthday Party - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    These boots are made for walking - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Shivers (from the album Door Door, as the Boys next door) - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Zoo Music Girl (from the album Prayers on fire) - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Nick The Stripper (from the album Prayers on fire) - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    King Ink (from the album Prayers on fire) - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    She's Hit (from the album Junkyard) - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Release the bats (single added to cd of Junkyard) - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Junkyard live 1982 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Deep In The Woods (from the cd Mutiny) - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Rowland S Howard - (member of The Birthday Party sings his version of his song " Shivers" - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    - Rowland S Howard with his band These Immortal Souls, Marry Me - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Nick Cave with Die Haut - Truck love - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Nick Cave with Die Haut - Stow-a-way - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Nick Cave and the Cavemen (Bad Seeds) Live 1984

From Her To Eternity 1984 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 1 Avalanche - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 Cabin fever - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 Well Of Misery - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 From Her To Eternity - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 Saint Huck - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 Wings of Flies - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 A Box For Black Paul - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 8 In The Ghetto Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

The Firstborn Is Dead 1985 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 1 Tupelo - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 Say Goodbye To The Little Girl Tree - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 Train Long-Suffering - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 Black Crow King - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 Knocking On Joe - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 Wanted Man - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 Blind Lemon Jefferson - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Kicking Against The Pricks 1986 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    A few songs from this cover album
    Sleeping Annaleah - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Long Black Veil - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    All Tomorrow's Parties - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    By The Time I Get To Phoenix - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    The Carnival Is Over - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Your Funeral .... My Trial 1986 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 1 Sad Waters - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 The Carny - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 You're Funeral ... My Trial Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 Stranger Than Kindness Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 Jack's Shadow Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Jack's Shadow extra info - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 Hard On For Love Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 She Fell Away Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 8 Long Time Man Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 9 Scum Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Tender Prey 1988 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 1 Mercy Seat Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Jaques Brel comparison Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 Up Jumped The Devil Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 Deanna Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Edwin Hawkins comparison Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 Watching Alice Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 Mercy Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 City Of Refuge Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 Slowly Goes The Night Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 8 Sunday's Slave Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 9 Sugar sugar sugar Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 10 New morning Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

The Good Son 1990 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 1 Foi Na Cruz Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 The good son Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Odetta comparison Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 Sorrow's child Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    The train song - b side to The ship song - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 The weeping song Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Weeping song remix Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 The ship song Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    The ship song (solo live) Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 The hammer song Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 Lament Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 8 The witness song Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 9 Lucy Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Henry's Dream 1992 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 1 Papa won't leave you Henry - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 I had a dream Joe Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 Straight to you Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 Brother my cup is empty Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 Christina The Astonishing Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 When I first Came To Town Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 John Finn's Wife Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 8 Loom of the land Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 9 Jack The Ripper Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Live Seeds 1993 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Plain Gold Ring Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Let Love In 1994 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 1 Do you love me pt1 Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 Nobody's baby now Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 Loverman Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 Jangling Jack Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 Red Right Hand Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 I Let Love In Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 Thirsty Dog Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 8 Ain't Gonna Rain Anymore Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 9 Lay Me Low Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 10 Do You Love Me pt2 Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Live in Ljubljana 1994 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Murder Ballads 1996 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 1 Song of joy Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 Stagger Lee Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 Henry Lee Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 Lovely creature Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 Where The Wild Roses Grow Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 The curse of Millhaven Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 The kindness of strangers Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 8 Crow Jane Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 9 O'malley's bar Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Omalley's Bar Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 10 Death is not the end Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

The Boatman's Call 1997 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 1 Into my arms Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 Lime Tree Arbour Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 People Ain't No Good Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 Brompton Oratory Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 There Is A Kingdom Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 Are You The One That I've Been Waiting For Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Are You The One That I've Been Waiting For Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 Where Do We Go Now But Nowhere Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 8 West Country Girl Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 9 Black hair Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 10 Idiot Prayer Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 11 Far From Me Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 12 Green Eyes Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Do you love me part 10 (doco) - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

No More Shall We Part 2001
    track 1 As I Sat Sadly By Her Side Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    As I Sat Sadly By Her Side Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 And No More Shall We Part Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 Hallelujah Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 Love Letter Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 15 Feet Of Pure White Snow Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    15 Feet Of Pure White Snow Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 God Is In The House Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 Oh My Lord Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 8 Sweetheart Come Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 9 The Sorrowful Wife Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 10 We Came Along This Road Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 11 Gates To The Garden Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 12 Darker With The Day Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Nocturama 2003 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 1 Wonderful Life Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 He Wants You Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 Right Out Of Your Hand Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 Bring It On Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Bring it On Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 Dead Man In My Bed Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 Still In Love Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 There Is A Town Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 8 Rock Of Gibraltar Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 9 She Passed By My Window Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 10 Babe I'm On Fire Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Babe I'm On Fire (please note that this video won't play in the US, but for everyone else ...)Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Babe I'm On Fire US Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Abattoir Blues/Lyre Of Orpheus 2004 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Abattoir Blues - Album 1
    track 1 Get Ready For Love Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 Cannibal's Hymn Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Hiding All Away (video) Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 Messiah Ward Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 There She Goes My Beautiful World Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 Nature Boy Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Nature Boy (video) Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 Abattoir Blues Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 8 Let The Bells Ring Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 9 The Fable Of The Brown Ape Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    The Lyre Of Orpheus - Album 2
    track 1 The Lyre Of Orpheus Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 Breathless Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Breathless video Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 Babe You Turn Me On Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 Easy Money Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 Supernaturally Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 Spell Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 Carry Me Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Track 8 O Children Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    O Children live Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Grinderman 2007 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 1 Get It On Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 No P***y Blues Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    b-side Chain Of Flowers Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 Electric Alice Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 Grinderman Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 Depth Charge Ethyl Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 Go Tell The Women Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 I Don't Need You To Set Me Free Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    I Don't Need You To Set Me Free Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 8 Honey Bee (Lets Fly to Mars) Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 9 Man In The Moon Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 10 When My Love Comes Down Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 11 Love Bomb Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Dig Lazarus Dig 2008 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 1 Dig Lazarus Dig Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 Today's Lesson Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 Moonland Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 Night Of The Lotus Eaters Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Night Of The Lotus Eaters Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 Albert Goes West Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 We Call Upon The Author Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 Hold On To Yourself Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 8 Lie Down Here And Be My Girl Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 9 Jesus Of The Moon Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 10 Midnight Man Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 11 More New From Nowhere Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    More News From Nowhere Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Grinderman 2 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 1 Mickey Mouse And The Goodbye Man Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 Worm Tamer Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 Heathen Child Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Heathen Child Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 When My Baby Comes Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 What I Know Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 Evil Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 Kitchenette Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 8 Palaces Of Montezuma Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Palaces Of Montezuma Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 9 Bellringer Blues

Push The Sky Away 2013
    Higgs Boson Blues Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Jubilee Street Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Collaborations and Rarities

Helpless (Neil Young) Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    French Promo - What Can I Give You Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Nick Cave and Shane Macgowan - What a wonderful world Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Pogues cover - Rainy night in Soho Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Nick Cave - Ain't Gonna Rain No More Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Where The Action Is Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Nick Cave & Current 93 - All The Pretty Little Horses Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Nick Cave & Mick Harvey - I love You .. Nor Do I Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    From the Limited Edition No More Shall we Part - Grief Came Riding Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Barry Adamson with Nick Cave - The Sweetest Embrace Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    To Be By Your Side Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    grinderman - vortex - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

B-sides
    Blue Bird Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Sail Away Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    The Ballad of Robert Moore and Betty Coltrane Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Little Empty boat Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Come Into My Sleep Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Babe I Got You Bad Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Good Good Day Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Swing Low Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Shoot Me Down Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Nocturama Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Under this Moon Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Accidents Will Happen Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Fleeting Love Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Crimson jon and Front 242 Addict like this.
  23. mark winstanley

"We No Who U R"
    [​IMG]
    Single by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    from the album Push the Sky Away
    Released
    3 December 2012
    Format Digital download
    Recorded 2011–2012 at La Fabrique in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, France
    Genre Alternative rock; Dark Wave
    Length 4:04
    Label Bad Seed Ltd.
    Songwriter(s) Nick Cave and Warren Ellis
    Producer(s) Nick Launay
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds singles chronology
    "Midnight Man"
    (2008) "We No Who U R"
    (2012) "Jubilee Street"
    (2013)
    "We No Who U R" is a song by the Australian alternative rock band Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Produced by Nick Launay, it is the opening track and lead single from the band's fifteenth studio album Push the Sky Away, and was released on 3 December 2012 on Bad Seed Ltd.—the band's own record label.

"We No Who U R" was announced for release in an official press release for Push the Sky Away.[1] The song was uploaded to SoundCloud on 27 November 2012 and made available for private stream.[2] The single version was later released as a digital download on 3 December[3] and issued as a free download with pre-orders of the album.[4]

Critical reception to the song was largely positive. The Quietus said that "anyone expecting a Lazarus or Grinderman–style sleaze rock meltdown, you'll be in for a surprise—it's among the most low-key and contemplative music we've heard from Messrs Cave and co for quite some time."[4] Rolling Stone described the single as "an eerily restrained ballad with an undercurrent of menace in its refrain"[5] and writing for Spin, Marc Hogan stated "the erstwhile Grinderman frontman intones somberly, backed by an uncrowded yet ornate arrangement of whispery vocal harmonies, spidery electric guitar trills, and stark flute tones."[6] Digital Spy reviewer Mayer Nissim said "sounding like something Leonard Cohen never quite got round to sticking on Ten New Songs, 'We No Who U R' is perhaps the most tender song Cave has recorded since No More Shall We Part" and referred to the song as "an ethereal poem where nature—not God—grants salvation."[7]

A music video, featuring the official lyrics of "We No Who U R", was posted on YouTube on 2 December 2012.[8] An official music video was directed by Gaspar Noé and released on 4 January 2013. The video, recorded in one take, "tracks the silhouette of a human form through a wood at night." Nick Cave referred to the music video as "beautiful, haunting and thoughtful."[9]
    -------------------------------------
    A sparse arrangement gives this song an eerie kind of feel and the general feel of the song is contemplative/reflective. At the second verse some more atmosphere is added, and it is subtle and really well done. The guys put this together really well and yet another great song is added to the catalog.

24. mark winstanley

Wide Lovely Eyes
    A staccato guitar leads us into this song. The opening vocals have that spoken effect and when the chorus comes in a keyboard and vocal melody flesh out the song. Another sparse arrangement and an excercise in delicacy. The palette Cave and the Seeds use gets bigger and bigger. This is another great song.

Marc 74 likes this.
  25. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

I "liked" Push the Sky Away when it came out but did not love it. The record grew on me and now i have it in my top 5 of his. I remember, outside of the immediately obvious masterpieces "Jubilee Street" and "Higgs Boson Blues," being kind of disappointed lyrically, and musically, with PTSA...but as i said, the record certainly grew on me big time.