Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 3, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

same here

2. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

I think catching him play allot of it live a couple of times helped me along too..........can't wait for october here in DC, we are among the lucky few cities in the states having him come through.....

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

i am getting antsy about distant sky getting a bluray release ... unfortunately his concerts aren't going to be anywhere i can get .... i never got to see him and feel my chances are slipping away

4. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

I was really surprised that all that came from it was an EP. I saw the film in theater and it was a good concert film. I figured a tour would support the release of a blue ray.....guess not.

5. mark winstanley

Water's Edge
    Stylistically very similar to the tracks from the next album. This song has a pulsating bass and accentuation from the other instruments and Cave reciting the lyrics with a very good tone and intensity.

6. mark winstanley

Jubilee Street
    "Jubilee Street"
    [​IMG]

Single by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    from the album Push the Sky Away
    Released 15 January 2013
    Format Digital download
    Recorded December 2011–August 2012at La Fabrique in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, France
    Genre Alternative rock
    Length 6:35
    Label Bad Seed Ltd.
    Songwriter(s) Nick Cave, Warren Ellis
    Producer(s) Nick Launay
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds singles chronology
    "We No Who U R"
    (2012) "Jubilee Street"
    (2013) "Mermaids"
    (2013)
    "Jubilee Street" is a song by the Australian alternative rock band Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. It is the fourth track and second single from the band's fifteenth studio album, Push the Sky Away, and was released on 15 January 2013 on Bad Seed Ltd.

An accompanying music video directed by John Hillcoat and featuring an appearance by Ray Winstone, was released on 4 February 2013.[1][2]

Nick Cave, in an interview to the British newspaper The Sun, said about this song:

"So let’s just say it’s a Jubilee Street of the imagination. But I can say, in a rather lovely, serendipitous way, that the song reflects how Jubilee Street used to be before they regenerated it — a very sleazy down-at-heel place."[3]
    --------------------------
    This song is probably the most well known song from the album. Moderate temp will a nice rolling and sliding riff. The band has always created great atmospheric pieces and this song is no exception. I think it is quite a magnificent piece of work.

Stormrider77 and Marc 74 like this.
  7. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Another highlight from PTSA.

8. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Since not that much from Cave's soundtrack activities was posted here i throw this one in (from The Proposition,2005):

9. mark winstanley

Mermaids
    Another slice of beauty from the guys. Cave seems to be singing as a guy who has been dumped here. It seems like a metaphor.

Marc 74 likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

We Real Cool
    A pulsating bass runs us through this song, with atmospherics colouring it all in. Cave seems to be singing about the distance between parents and their kids at a certain point in their lives. That seems quite poignant in the circumstances.

11. mark winstanley

Finishing Jubilee Street
    Nice feel to this song, and it sounds somewhat experimental

12. mark winstanley

Higgs Boson Blues
    This song just gets put straight into the classic department. If you haven't heard it, give it two or three listens.

13. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Exclusive track from the limited PTSA release.

14. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Same as above.

15. mark winstanley

Push The Sky Away
    A beautiful atmospheric song, that has worked extremely well live from the youtube concerts I have seen. It is a wonderful way to finish out this excellent album.

16. mark winstanley

Live from KCRW
    [​IMG]
    Live album by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    Released
    29 November 2013
    Recorded 18 April 2013 at Apogee Studio in Los Angeles, California, US
    Genre Alternative rock
    Length 52:15
    Label Bad Seed Ltd
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds chronology
    Push the Sky Away
    (2013) Live from KCRW
    (2013) Skeleton Tree
    (2016)
    Live from KCRW is the fourth live album by the Australian alternative rock band Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. It was released on 29 November 2013 on Bad Seed Ltd. The album features a live radio session recorded for KCRW on 18 April 2013 at Apogee Studio in Los Angeles, California, United States. The session, which featured a stripped-down line-up performing songs from the band's back catalogue and their most recent release, Push the Sky Away (2013), was recorded by Bob Clearmountain.[1]

Live from KCRW was released on CD and double LP, as well as a digital download. The double LP features two exclusive tracks, "Into My Arms" and "God is in the House", which were excluded from previous radio broadcasts of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' KCRW session.[2][3]

Upon its release, Live from KCRW received largely positive reviews from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalised rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 77, based on 14 reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews".[4] AllMusic reviewer Mark Deming noted that the Bad Seeds were "calling up a palette of sounds that range from the spectral to the majestic, and as they accompany [Nick] Cave on a set of his more contemplative material" and called the material "impressive, especially given the one-take nature of the recording." He rated the album three-and-a-half out of five stars.[5] Writing for Drowned in Sound, Matthew Slaughter described how "Cave the balladeer remains a beast, but a beautiful one … every quiver and every declamation reaches deep inside the ear drum, then rests there." Slaughter added that "it's easy to savour Warren Ellis' tenor guitar scrapes, Jim Sclavunos' simple, effective percussion, Martyn Casey's precise, humming bass and Barry Adamson's ominous organ … as they punctuate the often confused poetry", awarding the album an eight out of ten rating.[6]

In his review for Exclaim!, Vish Khanna said "here [the band] strip down to play mellower fare. That's not to say it's not intense or pensive in its own right; Cave is a master of phrasing and knows how to enhance the suspense and drama in his carefully written lyrics", rating Live from KCRW eight out of ten.[7] Kitty Empire of The Observer wrote that the album "isn't some rip-snorting gallop through perdition, setting Grinch-ish fire to fir trees … it's a classy, dialled-down performance". Awarding the album three out of five stars, Empire selected "Higgs Boson Blues" as Live from KCRW's highlight, referring to it as "a meditation on matters temporal" and "even more spacious here than on [Push the Sky Away]."[8]

A positive review in The Quietus, penned by Julian Marszalek, noted that Live from KCRW "is a fine declaration of where the Bad Seeds are in the here and now … they sound as comfortable in their music as they do the fine suits they wear." Marszalek added that Warren Ellis "has taken the position of Minister of Sinister Noises and his mastery of four-stringed instruments and loops has made an indelible impact on the band", calling his contributions the "breadth of sound that now defines the Bad Seeds."[9] Writing for Pitchfork Media, Stuart Berman referred to the album as "something of a wild card" among the band's other live albums, further explaining it is "distinguished not just by its loose, casual vibe … but by its welcome variations from the standard Bad Seeds script with a healthy selection of deep cuts that don't get aired out that often."[10]

1. "Higgs Boson Blues" Cave, Ellis 8:46
    2. "Far from Me" 5:27
    3. "Stranger Than Kindness" Lane, Bargeld 4:53
    4. "The Mercy Seat" Cave, Harvey 5:11
    5. "And No More Shall We Part" 3:51
    6. "Wide Lovely Eyes" Cave, Ellis 4:13
    7. "Mermaids" Cave, Ellis 5:23
    8. "People Ain't No Good" 5:18
    9. "Into My Arms" 3:48
    10. "God is in the House" 4:26
    11. "Push the Sky Away" Cave, Ellis 4:46
    12. "Jack the Ripper" 4:28
    ------------------------------------------------------
    I am including this particular live album in the mix because it is a little different. The band is playing stripped back versions of some classics and some of the new songs from Push The Sky Away, and I find this to be a very effective live album that is well worth having a listen to.
    Let us know what you reckon.
    What did you think of these versions?

Marc 74 likes this.
  17. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I really like this live album, it's perfect, but I hate the fact (as owning only a cd player) this album as vinyl got two more tracks than at cd.

It's really showing a dedain for cd lovers while it's complete nonsense to do so. As you know at a cd you can put more songs than at vinyl.

18. Hans@FTA

Hans@FTA Active Member

It's actually some crazy guy (me) who spent an insane amount of time researching (newspapers, fanzines, flyers, ads, etc..).
    Would love to hear from people who actually attended Boys Next Door gigs. Then I'll update the chronology and make it more accurate.

mark winstanley and Mylene like this.
  19. mark winstanley

Higgs Boson Blues
    A nice raw live sound. Very well recorded.

20. mark winstanley

Far From Me

Stormrider77 likes this.
  21. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

Fantastic live album. Jack the Ripper seems somewhat out of place given the content and style of the rest of the set. But I get it, Nick has always juxterposed the beautiful with the ugly! It’s what he does so eloquently. I’m glad it’s the only track on side 4 of the vinyl...sometimes I just leave that encore out of my listening. Otherwise this is one of my go-to Nick Cave albums.

22. mark winstanley

sadly not. I was on the wrong side of the country and probably just too young by a hair

23. mark winstanley

I was so pleased I got this, I really like the mellow arrangements, it seems to give some new life to some older songs. I'm very fond of it.

Marc 74 and BlackCircleVinyl like this.
  24. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Yes,KCRW flows very nicely. Wide Lovely Eyes and Mermaids are highlights but even classics like The Mercy Seat sound splendid with the stripped down arrangement.

25. mark winstanley

Stranger Than Kindness
    This live version has a nice close feel a certain intimacy that this live album has, that, for me, gives this song a special place amongst Cave and The Seeds albums.

Alfie Noakes and Marc 74 like this.