Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I Love Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds ! I love all Nick Cave collaborations: Boys Next Door ,The Birthday Party.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds:
    A magnificent artist and Fantastic band which created Glorious music ----- Dark and mesmerizing , powerful and beautiful. Nick Cave has the ability to create very powerful music with hypnotic rage..... and from the other hand he has the ability and the creativity to create amazing /touching melodies filled with melancholic beauty .

A few of my ultimate Favorites (these are just a few from my huge list ) : Tender Prey ,The Good son , From Her To Eternity , The Firstborn Is Dead, Henry's Dream ( My first introduction to Nick Cave music was through the song The Mercy Seat (One of his Best!!) that song could be a soundtrack to A horror western movie, The music and the vocals sound like the eruption of a volcano. We dance to this song a lot in our alternative music Clubs.

I was lucky to see Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds in an Amazing Live performance in Tel Aviv in November 2017, it was such a powerful and mesmerizing performance, unbelievable Energy! An unforgettable performance!!! :thumbsup: Nick Cave is really amazing musician and amazing person! He didn't surrender to any kind of pressure ( pressure on him not to perform here )
    And he arrived and gave Awesome performance, he showed love to the audience which gave him a huge love back.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    blind_melon1, Gavinyl, Echo and 2 others like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Awesome ... i think the tel aviv show is what i saw on youtube ... it was mesmerising ... i am really holding out for Distant Sky on bluray.
    Good son album was my introduction to Nick and i went forward and back ... i think my three favourites are henry's dream, abattoir blues and skeleton key ... but i don't think there is actually a bad one

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

Easy reference guide

Nick Cave - Who?
    - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

The Birthday Party - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Shivers (from the album Door Door, as the Boys next door) - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Zoo Music Girl (from the album Prayers on fire) - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Nick The Stripper (from the album Prayers on fire) - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    King Ink (from the album Prayers on fire) - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    She's Hit (from the album Junkyard) - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Release the bats (single added to cd of Junkyard) - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Junkyard live 1982 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Deep In The Woods (from the cd Mutiny) - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Rowland S Howard - (member of The Birthday Party sings his version of his song " Shivers" - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    - Rowland S Howard with his band These Immortal Souls, Marry Me - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

From Her To Eternity 1984 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 1 Avalanche - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 Cabin fever - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 Well Of Misery - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 From Her To Eternity - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 Saint Huck - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 Wings of Flies - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 A Box For Black Paul - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

The Firstborn Is Dead 1985 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 1 Tupelo - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 Say Goodbye To The Little Girl Tree - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 3 Train Long-Suffering - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 4 Black Crow King - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 5 Knocking On Joe - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 6 Wanted Man - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 7 Blind Lemon Jefferson - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Kicking Against The Pricks 1986 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    A few songs from this cover album
    Sleeping Annaleah - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    Long Black Veil - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    All Tomorrow's Parties - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    By The Time I Get To Phoenix - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    The Carnival Is Over - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Your Funeral .... My Trial 1986 - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 1 Sad Waters - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    track 2 The Carny - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Marc 74 and Longers like this.
  4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Okay. I've had a flashback to 1977 and The Boys Next Door played the last night of The Tiger Room (before it became The Tiger Lounge) on December 10 1977 supporting Kevin Borich Express NOT on Christmas Eve as I previously stated (It was election night). On NYE the same year they played at Martini's with The Sports and the Rockabilly Rebels before playing at Punk Gunk in Faraday Street.

5. mark winstanley

I was 9 and on the west coast lol

Mylene likes this.
  6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

That gigology site has got me thinking about the past. Mostly it gets it right. Some punk rocker must have kept a diary.

Hans@FTA and mark winstanley like this.
  7. mark winstanley

8. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Wow how did I miss all this? Following thread now...

9. crazy eights

crazy eights Truckstop Lovechild

have loved all the iterations from the birthday party onward, saw the shows as often as i could as the bad seeds came to new york every tour usually featuring multiple nights,
    i was also lucky enough to catch grinderman twice, but the last two bad seeds tours were stunning, a couple of very amazing evenings with incredible musicians, everyone who is still waiting to see them this go round is in for a rare treat

and if i may digress a little in this thread, bully bones was written by rowland, and tupelo also took inspiration from john lee hooker

great thread, looking forward to more

10. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

they were more like drug buddies to be honest

Gavinyl and mark winstanley like this.
  11. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Also true :D

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. Longers

Longers Forum Resident

There is a pivotal scene in the Wenders film "Der Himmel über Berlin" where Marion puts the lp on and plays this track ..
    Great film and stunning use of music to convey sense of isolation/hopelessness ..

An old acquaintance of mine, sadly deceased, attended Caulfield Grammar school at the time Cave was there. He never knew him personally, but said he remembered him as a skinny weird guy who wore black all the time and was always hanging around the school music room.

13. mark winstanley

Your Funeral My trial
    A beautiful Barroom blues here, well a little more involved, but that is the feeling I get from this song. Being driven predominantly by the organ and piano, as a lot of Cave's songs were. Some very nice drum accents in this that help pump up the feel somewhat.

Lyrics
    I am a crooked man
    And I've walked a crooked mile
    Night, the shameless widow
    Doffed her weeds, in a pile

The stars all winked at me
    They shamed a child
    Your funeral, my trial

One thousand Marys lured me
    Into gullies damned with clover
    Bird with crooked wing cast
    Its wicked shadow over
    The bauble moon did mock
    And trinket stars did smile
    Your funeral, my trial

Here I am, little lamb
    Let all the bells in whoredom ring
    All the crooked bitches that she was
    Mongers of pain
    Saw the moon
    Become a fang
    Your funeral, my trial

Your funeral, my trial

Your funeral, my trial

14. mark winstanley

Stranger Than Kindness
    Another song where Blixa Bargeld shows his effectiveness using atmospheric guitar to create a soundscape that gives a song a special feel most bands would struggle to create. Another remarkable Cave lyric. If you are not familiar with Cave's lyrics, take the time to read them and see how well he uses words to paint pictures. Whether one likes the music or not is always a subjective thing, but even if thematically the lyrics are sometimes disturbing, I find it hard to believe that someone couldn't acknowledge how well they are constructed in fairly traditional forms.

Lyrics
    Stranger than kindness
    Bottled light from hotels
    Spilling everything
    Wet hand from the volcano
    Sobers your skin
    Stranger than Kindness

You caress yourself
    And grind my soft cold bones below
    Your map of desire
    Burned in your flesh
    Even a fool can come
    A strange lit stair
    And find a rope hanging there
    Stranger than kindness

Keys rain like heaven's hair
    There is no home there is no bread
    We sit at the gate and scratch

The gaunt fruit of passion
    Dies in the light
    Stranger than kindness

Your sleeping hands journey
    They loiter
    Stranger than kindness
    You hold me so carelessly close
    Tell me I'm dirty
    I'm a stranger
    I'm a stranger
    I'm a stranger to kindness

Longers, hutlock and Front 242 Addict like this.
  15. quietlife

quietlife Well-Known Member

My favourite Nick Cave albums are definitely Tender Prey and Henry's Dream, always have been the two standouts for me.

16. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Nick's mom lives in my neighbourhood. I have passed him driving a few times and had to do a double take !
    Saw the Push The Sky Away tour here and it was fabulous. Great band. Great thread mate...

MikeManaic61, Mylene, Longers and 2 others like this.
  17. mark winstanley

Cheers mate, glad you're enjoying it mate. It would be cool to meet him. Hopefully it would be one of his good days :)

Gavinyl likes this.
  18. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Stranger Than Kindness:
    Such an amazing atmosphere! stunning song. When I am listening to this song I always imagine myself walking through a very long, empty street wrapped in Fog. the combination with Blixa is amazing ( weeping song is another great example), I also love Blixa music and Einsturzende Neubauten .
    Thank you for this great thread :cool:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  19. mark winstanley

you're welcome. i miss blixa's input but warren ellis is a good substitute. both great at atmospheric music

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  20. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Er.... i hate to say, but Nick did not write any of those lyrics. His girlfriend Anita Lane wrote that song with Blixa doing the music.

21. mark winstanley

Apologies, yes Anita and Blixa for that one.
    That'll teach me to be in a hurry

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  22. mark winstanley

23. mark winstanley

24. mark winstanley

25. mark winstanley