Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Album by Album Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident Thread Starter

hi all
    I am just getting into Nick Cave, who anyone like to start a discussion on his Bad Seeds and other side project's and soundtracks albums,
    Thanks

Front 242 Addict and CRadtke like this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Ooooh..... ambitious. But: Great idea! Since I wanted to revisit his stuff anyway I'd contribute.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  3. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

From her to Eternity. Sheer genus. It's not possible to do a better track than St Huck.

4. joe1320

Thanks I hope you guy would like it, I love reading everybody's posts on here

5. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

I'd suggest you also include Boys Next Door and particularly The Birthday Party, the latter a very important period in Cave's career.

Front 242 Addict and dlemaudit like this.
  6. joe1320

Sure, I leave it up to you guys who know his history ,
    If someone could please start it,

7. capt.co

capt.co Forum Resident

there is/was a thread on this already but it seems to have died out.

8. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

You can't go wrong, he's one of those rare artists who have never really made a bad album. The Boatman's Call in particular is a contender for best album of the 90s.

One of the best live performers I've ever seen too, utterly mesmerising.

9. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

A little list as a reference.
    I'll be lurking too ;)

The Boys Next Door
    1979 : Door, Door

The Birthday Party
    1980 : The Birthday Party
    1981 : Prayers on Fire
    1982 : Junkyard

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    1984 : From Her to Eternity
    1985 : The Firstborn Is Dead
    1986 : Kicking Against the Pricks
    1986 : Your Funeral... My Trial
    1988 : Tender Prey
    1990 : The Good Son
    1992 : Henry's Dream
    1994 : Let Love In
    1996 : Murder Ballads
    1997 : The Boatman's Call
    2001 : No More Shall We Part
    2003 : Nocturama
    2004 : Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus
    2008 : Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
    2013 : Push the Sky Away
    2016 : Skeleton Tree

Grinderman (Does this count too?)
    2007 : Grinderman
    2010 : Grinderman 2

3, 2, 1... GO!
    :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Mazda, Neonbeam and Front 242 Addict like this.
  10. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

indeed and let start with that incredible cover of These Boots are made for walking

11. Baby Driver

Baby Driver Forum Resident

already been done. but hey, can't have enough Nick Cave!

Tupelo is better. WAY better.

dlemaudit likes this.
  12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The idea that a decade - that's ten years - should have produced a single best album always struck me as ridiculous.

13. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Im definitely following this thread and looking forward to reading comments, reviews and opinions when we get the actual thread to start. Surely I will participate and try to add something worthwhile here.

14. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

A magnificent artist and band which created and create Glorious music ----- Dark and mesmerizing , powerful and beautiful.

I highly recommend on Tender Prey ,The Good son , From Her To Eternity , The Firstborn Is Dead,
    Henry's Dream.

One of the Best Nick Cave and the Bad seeds songs: The Mercy Seat
    the song could be a soundtrack to A horror western movie,
    The music and vocals sound like the eruption of a volcano.

15. joe1320

Ok, if someone wants to start with the following album which I know nothing about please do,
    The Boys Next Door
    1979 : Door, Door

16. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

Grindermans No Pu&&y blues has got to be a contender for modern mad blues classics

hutlock and Wild Frank like this.
  17. joe1320

Would anyone who knows his music like to start this discussion please

18. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

The first single of The Boys Next Door, out of 1978, so one year before their album 'Door, Door'. This is a cover of Lee Hazlewood's 'These Boots are Made for Walking', with a 21 years old Nick Cave:

dlemaudit and Mazda like this.
  19. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I've seen a few of these album-by-album discussions going around, but don't really know how they work... What do we do, listen to a new album each day? Or do we just discuss the artist's work in general? Either way, I'm in! Big Cave fan over here.

20. The_Windmill

From what I've seen.

[In Theory]
    One album at a time is listed, and a reasonable amount of time is left for member to give their opinion about it. Generally is for people who know the work already, but I guess nobody is forbidding first listen impressions.

[What happens for real]
    People comment about previous albums, or about new releases, or about everything artist-relevant at the time, or just ask and answer random questions like we are, and the thread becomes quite a mess.

:wave:

SlimLee likes this.
  21. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

My thoughts on From Her to Eternity:

As far as Bad Seeds albums go, I'd consider this transitional. There's elements leftover from The Birthday Party, brief moments of raucous mayhem. It's like Cave knew the direction he wanted take the band in, but they hadn't yet refined themselves beyond their wild habits. It's as if the raw elements of punk were broken down and spread thin.

Big emphasis on pounding rhythms, especially the piano parts. They definitely treated the piano as if it were intended to drive the rhythm as much as the drums. I guess that could be Blixa's background from Einstürzende Neubauten leaking through, only instead of jackhammers on cement, it's fingers smashing piano keys. In fact I'd venture to say that all the instrument parts are performed with rhythmic emphasis.

The transitional nature of the album is also reflected in the lyrics. I think Nick mentioned he wanted the Bad Seeds to have more emphasis on it's lyrical content, and you can hear that he's put a lot of effort into these. One thing I love is the gothic humour mixed with blues influences, not just on this album but a lot of Cave's output. That said, he's not quite there yet. As much as I love the lyrics on this album, I find in general it's not as obviously engaging as say an album like Murder Ballads. But hey, that's to be expected.

I'd have to consider the title track my favourite song. I think it exhibits this iteration of the Bad Seeds firing on all cylinders. It's also one of the most melodic songs on the record, twisted and deformed melodies they may be.

That's just some of my quick thoughts on the album. On it's own, it's a great album. That said, I think when you consider all the albums released over the Bad Seed's 30+ years, there's definitely more inviting and easier records to invest yourself in. Generally I have to be in a particular mood to listen to it, and once I have I can shelve it for a while and go listen to other Bad Seeds releases repeatedly before coming back to it.

Looking forward to hearing what other people think!

22. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Well, this died quickly. People around here obviously know only his later more commercial stuff.

Personally, I am also not a big fan of his preSeeds music. But still at least the Bad Seed/Mutiny or Hits by Birthday Party should be in every Bad Seeds fan's collection, shouldn't it?

23. The_Windmill

It's a weird thread. Unbalanced, I'd say.
    The thread starter is prompting a discussion about a topic he doesn't know much about.
    Usually, this threads are moderated or started by fans.
    Maybe that is not enough to fuel a conversation?
    Does it feel like lurking?

Too bad, anyway.

24. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Well to me this thread is worthy just for this clip! Thanks for posting, Echo!

25. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

A shame this thread died a death. Maybe the reason is that some of the best albums came later on.

When I come round to playing my NC albums again I usually start with Tender Pray, which begins with one of his most enduring songs, The Mercy Seat. Your Funeral.. My Trial, which preceded it sounds almost like a twin to Tender Prey.

For me, these albums start a run of incredible albums which lead to Murder Ballads. That album seems to be the final installment of the obviously character based, theatrically dark period.

Since then his songwriting seems to have followed a different, more confessional path, although I love them all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.