Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds / Official Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ghostalking, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Amazon UK has a preorder listing.

Mazzy likes this.
  2. LePompDior

LePompDior Forum Resident

So no one has A/B'ed a US v UK pressing yet? Just going off of pressing plant reputation?

3. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

They released these in an odd order, so far I've received the following:
    I will placing an order soon with Deep Discount (if they receive them) or Juno Records UK.
    So far, the sound quality on these are outstanding. It's clear they took care in the mastering process. The pressing quality is great, I have the Optimal pressings, I think there may be slight surface noise/non-fill on one track of the all that I've received. The packaging is average but that is fine, as I'm more concerned with sound and pressing quality. There should be lyrics with all of them but I will get over it, many releases do that to me.

BeardedSteven and scotth like this.
  4. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Listening to "Let Love In". So far (side A), a stellar pressing.

otherdimension likes this.
  5. Luca

Listened to all of it twice. Lovely, lovely. I am hearing things I had never heard on the CD, it's much deeper and richer sounding, and very detailed. The best of the reissues so far, IMHO.

6. CopTheRiotAct

CopTheRiotAct New Member

I just picked up "Let Love In" "No More Shall We Part" & "Murder Ballads" from JBHIFI in AU. (I got the EU Pressings)

3 of my favorites, just got home and put on let love in. There was a small amount of surface noise in places but nothing worth complaining about. The album still is very bright and harsh, and the vinyl doesn't appear to add too much more dynamics than the CD, but from what I've heard from the way it was recorded, that is to be expected. I do feel its a bit clearer, quieter and the vocals don not peak as much. Overall I'm quite pleased, I think its the best we are gonna get from this recording.

The packaging was nice for "No more shall we part" and "let love in". I see why there was complaints about the murder ballads packaging. 2LPS in a standard LP sleeve with standard white inner sleeves... But it is what it is..

7. LePompDior

LePompDior Forum Resident

I'm going to wait for the Boatman's Call release then order a bunch from the UK to save on shipping. Keep the reviews coming!

8. Luca

Bright? Weird! I feel it's quite warm, thick and "juicy" while still satisfyingly detailed (on a Technics 1200 Mk2 and Nagaoka Ortofon MP-500 cartridge, with Graham Slee Reflex M preamp)

9. OhmSweetOhm

OhmSweetOhm Active Member

So I've got the first four released in the US, picked up 'Let love in' & 'Tender Prey' on Tuesday.

Let love in knocked me on my ass. But Tender Prey is so flat, lifeless and free of dynamics I had to check my stereo and make sure something didn't go wrong.

Anyone else have it, and have this issue? I mean it Really sucks. :(

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  10. Luca

Tender Prey has always sounded rather lousy, it's the mix. But the pressing is good IMHO.

11. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Listened to Murder Ballads last night and it might be the best sounding of the bunch that I have so far. Parts of it sound simply amazing and you can almost hear the layers of music floating in front of you. I don't want to get too carried away with hyperbole but the SQ for this one is a 10 while the others have ranged in the 8.5-9.5 range.

Lyrics would have been nice but I will have to download them from somewhere on the web.

Henry's Dream is on deck for a listen this weekend!

12. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

13. kippenhok

kippenhok Forum Resident

Any A/B results for these re-issues against the original pressings?

I got original pressing for all titles and want to know if any of the re-issues are must have's for sound quality.

razorball and Neonbeam like this.
  14. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

So far my US Tender Prey sounds good. As has been stated, the mix isn't the best to begin with.

15. OhmSweetOhm

OhmSweetOhm Active Member

Well then, maybe that's all there is to it. Man it's real crap then :(

16. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I just gave this new pressing a spin, and sounds fine to me also.

17. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

I've got an original timtom UK of From Her to Eternity and have purchased the UK issued reissue. I haven't listened to it yet. The original is one of the best slabs of vinyl I own.

Marc Perman likes this.
  18. Allan

Allan Forum Resident

I have a timtom From Her to Eternity as well which does sound truly amazing. I feel no need to go after the new one. I did get a new US Tender Prey and I agree that it's sounds ok, but not fantastic. I haven't compared it with the download yet.

Tender Prey was one of the first CDs I ever bought when it came out, so it's nice to finally have a vinyl copy. The new one sounds faithful to the late 80s production to my ears.

19. kippenhok

kippenhok Forum Resident

No comments?

20. noiseannoys

noiseannoys Member

I have one of the older pressings of Tender Prey, I feel like it's very trebly and could be better, but it's okay. I think it's Enigma records, says "Printed in Canada". It is definitely not on Mute. I feel like the CD remaster from a few years ago may have corrected some of that, because every time I've heard it on my iPod it sounds better than I remember. I always wished it did sound better.

"Let Love In" is by far better sounding, the vinyl press is great, but I can't help but really want this to sound even better than it does. There's only so much you can do if something was recorded a certain way. I'm happy I finally own this. Some tracks sound better than others (holy crap, the title track).

21. Luca

After the praise for the latest batch of reissues, some complaints about "No more shall we part".

A couple of very loud pops, one on "Love letter" and one on "Sweetheart come". I shall try to clean it during the weekend...

22. Mordante

Mordante Member

I have some Nick Cave albums and I recently found out that re-issues are being released. I have the following albums. Is it worth buying all the new re-releases?

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Kicking Against The Pricks (Mute - STUMM 28) LP, Album 1986
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Give Us A Kiss (Bad Seed Ltd. - BS008V) 10", Single 2014
    Grinderman - Grinderman 2 (Mute - STUMM299) LP, Album, 180 + CD, Album 2010
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Good Son (Mute - STUMM 76) LP, Album 1990
    Die Haut And Nick Cave - Burnin' The Ice (Hit Thing - HT LP 007) LP, Album + DVD 2004
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away (Bad Seed Ltd., Bad Seed Ltd. - BS001CE, 7SEED001) LP, Album + 7" 2013
    Nick Cave Featuring The Bad Seeds* - From Her To Eternity (Mute - STUMM 17) LP, Album 1984
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Tender Prey (Mute - STUMM 52) LP, Album 1988
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Henry's Dream (Mute - STUMM92) LP, Album 1992
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Your Funeral ... My Trial (Mute - STUMM 34) 2x12", Album, Gat 1986
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call (Mute - STUMM 142) LP, Album 1997
    Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds* - Let Love In (Mute - STUMM 123) LP, Album 1994
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues / The Lyre Of Orpheus (Mute, Mute - STUMM 233, 0724386467010) 2xLP, Album 2004
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! (Mute, Mute - STUMM 277, 5099952134111) LP, Album + 7" 2008
    Grinderman - Grinderman (Anti- - 86861-1) LP, Album, Gat 2007
    Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds* - No More Shall We Part (Mute, PIAS Benelux, Mute Tonträger GmbH - Stumm164, 391.0164.012, 5.0164.12.391)

My favourite albums are The Good Son, No More Shall We Part and Push The Sky Away. But that can change. So which re-releases should I buy?

23. Lasse1887

Lasse1887 New Member

Well, i also have the loud pops on "Love Letter", changed the records and the second have it too,...at the same point of the record. "Slowly goes the night" from Tender Prey ( two times changed) have a few loud pops. Cleaning had no effect, the pops are still there. On "Murder Ballads" (Song of Joy) and "Let love in" (Thirsty Dog) are one pops, but not as heavy as the "Love Letter" and "Slowly goes the night". By the way,....did anyone get a perfect copy of the second record of "Dig Lazarus Dig ?". "More news from Nowhere" contains many loud pops, unlistenable.

24. Luca

I can confirm that "More news from nowhere" is unlistenable, at least 20 loud pops on both copies that I have tried. Shame on Mute!

25. Do you people w LP problems ever contact the labels directly ? That's important. .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.