Nick Drake???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andy, Feb 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy

Andy New Member Thread Starter

Has anyone out there seen the Pink Moon LP released by anyone other than Simply Vinyl? If not anyone had a chance to listen to the Simply Vinyl version? Has anyone heard anything from Simply Vinyl that was any good? I found that Disraeli Gears was ok, but that was one out of about thirty tries.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Most anything on the Island label is actually fairly good on the SV label. If you're looking for vinyl, it might not be an easy find, either the Pink Islands, the domestic 3-LP complilation of his material or even Island reissues.

The only things I don't like about the SV's is the packaging and the price per piece, given the track record. If you really want Drake on Vinyl, I'm afraid unless the used record fairly is real good to ya, the SV issues are where to go. Watch yer wallet!

3. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

I concur with Sckott on Island titles reissued by Simply Vinyl. As far as pricing is concerned, SV records are discounted from time to time and that's when you can save a bundle. Pick and choose you must haves when they are sold at regular prices.

I don't like its packaging, either. You can almost hurt yourself with the sharp edges of the hard plastic sleeves.

I heard that Simpy Vinyl does not remaster the records it releases. Instead it just lets the engineers at the licensing record companies do the remastering works for it. Sonically there are hits and misses. The rule of thumb: British (or other European) artists' reissues usually have better sounds than American titles. For example, The Best of Bryan Ferry + Roxy Music sounds pretty good to me; Nirvana: Never Mind sounds real awful.

4. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I have the Simply Vinyl issues of all three Nick Drake albums, and my opinion of them is very high. I think they got these, at least, right.

I've not bothered to buy or listen to any other SV releases. I wanted Drake on vinyl, and decent originals might have ended up being the same price (plus harder to find), so I just went for the SV's, on the advice of Michael Fremer, who had very nice things to say about the SV Drake titles. I have no regrets ... I like all three.

5. Andy

Andy New Member Thread Starter

Ok I'll give Simply Vinyl one more chance. If nothing else the sleeves could make for an emergency self defense weapon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.