"Nico 1988" new movie

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

The Cale and Nico relationship I said cannot be compared to her connection with Young, wasn’t measured by studio hours. It was about life, and all that goes on in it, as well as music. I think we’re coming from different perspectives, but that’s OK.

I’ll keep it with mine... :)

Neonbeam and Rfreeman like this.
  2. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I'll probably watch this one day, although the trailer makes it seem like every other biopic: a sensationalized, melodrama with the pacing of an episode of CSI. Let's hope it's better than that. I don't know much about Nico's life or music beyond the 70s. I do appreciate a well written biography of a musician, but maybe the one mentioned isn't the best. Currently reading Art Sex Music by Cosi Fanni Tutti, highly recommended.

Marble Index and BlueSpeedway like this.
  3. BlueSpeedway

Check out John Cale’s What’s Welsh For Zen, co-authored with Victor Bockris. If you have the nouse to be interested in Nico and Cosi I think you’d enjoy it :)

[​IMG]

the pope ondine and citizensmurf like this.
  4. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

This is pretty awesome.

5. BlueSpeedway

More links, I can’t help it :)

This is the best audio quality YouTube example of Lisa Gerrard with John Cale and musicians, I can find. Italy 2009, performing Nico’s divine No One Is There from The Marble Index. The sound gives some idea, although anyone who’s heard Gerrard live knows you have to be there really. If Lisa ever does it again, with or without Cale, go see her :)

Play loud..

Neonbeam likes this.
  6. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Read James Young's book about her last years, it really describes everything perfectly.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  7. BlueSpeedway

Doomed to dying in a cycling accident on holiday, probably stoned like a quarter of the inhabitants of planet Earth, but while getting the healthiest she’d been for years and spending increasingly more time with her son... ?

“Songs They Never Play On the Radio” ...

Maybe I’ll write a sequel...

“Facts That Don’t Sell Books From the Bookstore”...

tin ears and Neonbeam like this.
  8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Don't recall the book misrepresenting anything about her death

kevimetal, vonwegen and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  9. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Anyone recommend a good Nico book?

Cheers

Bowland likes this.
  10. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

I can't believe this movie is finally coming out! Hasn't this been in development hell for over 10 years? I could be thinking of another attempted Nico movie, but how many of them can there be? :shh:

I'm curious to see it, but my expectations aren't very high.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  11. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

Going to see this on Saturday in NYC.

hamicle likes this.
  12. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

"Songs They Never Play on the Radio" ;)

(Sorry)

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  13. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I don't want to continue dragging this out, just wanted to say that my main impression of the book, as others have said, was that it was a snapshot of time in Nico's career that James Young was present for rather than ever intending to be an all-encompassing, objective, view. I doubt his intention was to "harm the perception of Nico and her music". If anything it shines a light on the period outside of VU + Nico, Warhol and the early solo albums.

Will check out the film when I get a chance to.

DTK and vonwegen like this.
  14. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

15. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

The Crescents were quite a thing... as was Hulme back in those days. I lived in Chorlton, in Manchester in those days and used to go to events and happenings in the Crescents... when they were closed there was a huge artistic happening that still lights my imagination even now.

Back on topic... I never came across Nico face to face only glimpsed her on a bicycle a couple of times in Withington I think. Knew who she was... but didn’t know anything about her.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Neonbeam likes this.
  16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

17. BlueSpeedway

No, it doesn’t. But it quite quickly came in my opinion to misrepresent Nico in a general, more important sense, despite its apparent accuracy about whatever he saw and experienced.

Even if unintentional, the effect of the book is down to the author choosing to write it. A choice I suspect many other people wouldn’t have made.

18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Certainly a book like that would not have been published while the subject was alive - lots of details would be removed by lawyers before E&O insurers would touch it.

19. BlueSpeedway

:laugh: don’t be sorry... I know a lot of people like the book. I have to be honest with my opinions, but I’m not gonna rave at anyone for liking it. It’s cool that there’s people here who’re interested in her beyond the banana LP, quite a few people... :)

hamicle likes this.
  20. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Actually, it is the same book, just a different title (the author's intended title, IIRC).

Rfreeman likes this.
  21. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I second that, it's well written and very creatively typeset.

22. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Post-modernists!

Aren’t you paying attention?

23. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

The film ends with Cale performing. Note to turn on the English subtitles as there is a fair amount of German and French interviews.

Max Florian and Muggles like this.
  24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

You all make me seriously want to reread this book. But I've decided years ago that when it comes to Nico, I'd rather enjoy the albums and not "know" so much about her life. Her grave is nice though and since it is in my city, I go there every few years.

Marble Index and BlueSpeedway like this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What is "Nico In The Shadow Of The Moon Goddess" by Lutz Graf-Ulbrich?

From Amazon:

"Nico would have celebrated her 77th birthday on the 16th of October 2015. The dark, morbid charisma of the mysterious chanteuse alias Christa Päffgen has haunted fans and admirers for decades. In this book one of the people who got really and truly close to her, shares his memories of this intriguing being - up, close and personal. In this fascinating memoir German Krautrock musician Lutz Ulbrich (Lüül) - now Lutz Graf-Ulbrich - describes how he met and fell for Nico in the Seventies and how this encounter led to a rocky on- and off-love affair, a long prolific artistic synergy and a lifelong friendship."

BlueSpeedway and Rfreeman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.