Nicolas Cage.....why does a talented actor, who had a promising start end up acting in B movies.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DeepFloyd11, Feb 25, 2017.

1. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

To answer the initial question: $$$ and bad taste.

That said, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans is one of my favorite comedies

2. boots

boots Chokma!

I was thinking about this the other day. I had just watched "Dirty Grandpa" and wondered what De Niro was thinking, how could he be apart of such garbage. De Niro has always been one of my favorite actors until I watch that. :thumbsdow

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Exactly. It's become popular to call him a terrible actor and a ham - those people haven't seen enough films. The thing is, he works constantly so the amount of crap films he does is pretty large. My wife and I see a LOT of films, and I've only seen one of the last dozen films he's done. He can play over the top, but he can also play quiet roles like his one in Snowden. How many people who think he's a terrible actor saw Lord of War?

Sean, Greg Gee, ClausH and 4 others like this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I, too, like "Word Of War"!

formu_la, Greg Gee and clhboa like this.
  5. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Anyone who thinks he's a bad actor doesn't know what they're talking about. He's apparently a bit nutty and blew all his dough. I was looking at his filmography on RT last week - he appears to be cranking out garbage films at a rapid rate to make some money. Lord of War is a good one and I'm a big fan of Matchstick Men. He's done a fair amount of good movies. Joe is one I will check out soon from 2014 - 87 from the critics on RT. Looking at RT now he had a great run with Birdy, Peggy Sue Got Married, Raising Arizona and Moonstruck in succession - that is quite a streak.

Blank Frank, Rasputin and ssmith3046 like this.
  6. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

One of the worst actors to make the big money in Hollywood. He's been in a few good movies but overall you can always tell he's "acting."

7. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

That's why Norman Jewison, the Coen brothers, Oliver Stone, David Lynch, Ridley Scott, Francis Ford Coppola and more have used him - he stinks.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I like him.
    Saying that I give his recent straight to dvd movies a miss.

9. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

The last part

Murph and tkl7 like this.
  10. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I added Ridley Scott and I'm sure there are more great directors that have hired him, but I guess you would know better. Keep your day job. :agree:

11. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Well, it is true on my television set and movie screen.... IMHO, of course, just like yours :)

I have yet to see him in a role and go "wow, there was a good performance".. not once. and I did see Lord of War

His best role, imho was Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah he can be bad. But his good movies are great. Leaving Las Vegas blew my mind. Hell I also enjoyed the first National Treasure film.

13. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

:laugh: Good one.

GTOJUDGE and fishcane like this.
  14. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

Problem is for every film where he puts in a decent performance, there's at least three where he's a bug eyed, over the top, laughable ham. Saying that, you've got to admire anyone who can still get work after this little lot.....

DLeet, marke, enro99 and 3 others like this.
  15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Didn't they have a "Cage-fest" a few weeks ago in Texas.... and HE SHOWED UP!

16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yup. He's been making stinkers lately. Has to be for the money and nothing else.

17. Django

Django Forum Resident

He was really good in adaptation, Spike Jonez managed to reel him in from his usual OTT, bombastic (ridiculous) style.

18. Django

Django Forum Resident

Yeah, deNiro seemed to stop caring at least 20 years ago.

fr in sc likes this.
  19. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

I mean, De Niro has obviously lost his sh$t, become an antivaxxer crazer. Dirty Grandpa is the least of his problems.

Blank Frank, dbsea, Al1n and 2 others like this.
  20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

You say "b movies" like it's a bad thing. :)

I like Nic Cage. He's unconventional and sometimes it works, sometimes less so. He's been doing weird stuff since the beginning, though. It's no just a symptom of old age or being desperate for work. Witness 1989's VAMPIRE'S KISS:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2017
    Mr. H, Blank Frank, Binni and 8 others like this.
  21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Heat" was his last great performance, IMO. That was....what, 1995? You knew when he starred in Rocky and Bulwinkel it was over.

GMfan87', carrick doone and Django like this.
  22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I like Nick Cage and have attempted to watch many pieces of crap over the years based solely on his presence. He entertains me.

"Adaptation" is a great performance. And The Wicker Man is hilarious. "Raising Arizona" and "Peggy Sue" also faves. "Matchstick Men" too. I like Nick. I sympathize with his plight. I forgive him for just accepting pay checks.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. Yeah, but as far as I know it's been a while since he's done a proper piece of weird stuff like Vampire's Kiss (which is, of course, awesome). The recent stuff is weak action beer that just doesn't compare.

hellion likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

He's at least "played weird" in some recent movies. He offers a totally weird, OTT performance in last year's "Army of One", for instance...

25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Some actors just prefer to work, no matter what, like Bob Hoskins and Michael Caine. Watching the video mike's beard posted, I see an actor willing to commit 100%. I'm confident none of those scenes were the only takes - the director always had the option of telling him to dial his performance up or down, and chose those takes for the final film.

Jrr and enro99 like this.