Nicolas Cage.....why does a talented actor, who had a promising start end up acting in B movies.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DeepFloyd11, Feb 25, 2017.

1. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I Agree.

I recall the near 2 hour ordeal called Leaving Las Vegas was near unbearable.

I understand some artists torture themselves for their art; and employ method acting. But having the audience experience every excruciating painful detail isn't my preference of an enjoyable evening out.

LOL, it was not an ideal date movie.

2. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I don't think I would use the word "terrible", but I don't think he's a very good actor!

fishcane likes this.
  3. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Very noticeable that most people's fave Cage movies are from the late 80's or early 90's?? Yep folks that's when he last did anything worthy of real good acting. For me his last enjoyable movies were the "National Treasure" ones and he had a slight return to form around 2010/2011 with four movies in a row: "Kick Ass"; "The Sorcerers Apprentice"; "Season of The Witch" and "Drive Angry" but since then it's been down hill all the way. I watch every film he does hoping for a return to form but it's not happening. Shame as he could be one of the all-time greats. His problem lately seems to be far too many films that happen to be bad films. He should cut back and choose the very best but with his lifestyle I guess he can't afford to wait. Pity.

4. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

He has been in some really enjoyable films but I would never consider him a talented actor!

5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I really like Con-air and the Rock.

Probably his peak for me.

I think he made a lot of movies for money reasons.

6. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

7. windfall

windfall Senior Member

My favourite film of his is Family Man. He could have had a nice line in comedy (he's great also in Raising Arizona).

Malina likes this.
  8. windfall

windfall Senior Member

9. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

C'mon he has at least 4 variations on that same accent!!! :laugh:

showtaper likes this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Think his last good one Bad Lieutenant.

Partyslammer likes this.
  11. Well he's great in the right role but I thought he was awful in "Peggy Sue Got Married" and you can tell when he's slumming it.

12. With Werner Herzog at the helm you're gonna get a film that's at least interesting.

willy likes this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Only worse one would be "The Company of Men".

Dudley Morris, Gavinyl and lightbulb like this.
  14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

He may have needed cash but I don't really understand why he had to do so much garbage to get it. He's a famous and (formerly) well-regarded actor who I would have thought would be enough in demand that he could get roles in good or at least decent movies and not have to take just anything. Now he's tarnished his own brand to the point that that these schlocky movies are most of the work he's getting, with the odd exception.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  15. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Cage's current situation isn't unique. It can happen to any actor, A-list or not. If you have a couple of box office bombs in a row you're gonna spend some time trapped in Direct To Video Hell.

Remember Brendan Fraser? He was a buff, studly young dude with his own franchise ("The Mummy")... till the third film in that series tanked, then his Looney Tunes movie tanked, and next thing you know he's middle aged, out of shape, and fighting with badly CGI'd forest critters in a low budget kid's movie ("Furry Vengeance")!

I bet Johnny Depp is praying that his next "Pirate" movie makes money, or he's going to be in the same boat (pun not intended)!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    lightbulb likes this.
  16. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

He kinda deserves to rot just for the half-assed remake of The Wicker Man

OobuJoobu and Felix Atagong like this.
  17. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

This thread is reminiscent of other ones, regarding "Career Legacy".

I've come to realize that maybe, just maybe, some bands and actors may view their chosen field of profession as "work", and not as "art".

Just like many of us, perhaps they prefer to keep working, akin to a "nine-to-five, punch the clock" career.

Unlike many of us, as an audience viewing their displayed talents in movies, albums, performances, etc, they may just thrive and are fulfilled, by just working.

18. xios

xios Senior Member

I like a comment I read about "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" after sitting through that trainwreck "Cage is the Italian actor least capable of playing an Italian."

showtaper and Lightworker like this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

People gave Nick Nolte a lot of crap for his accent in "Lorenzo's Oil". But I saw an interview with the real Augusto Odone and that was exactly what he sounded like.

20. Chris DeVoe

Did Cage direct that film?

21. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

He's kind of like Al Pacino: There's good Al Pacino (The Insider, Glengarry Glen Ross), and there's bad Al Pacino (Scarface, Any Given Sunday). It's almost like he's two different actors.

He and Cage are both talented, both wildly inconsistent.

Scowl, BadJack and Juan Matus like this.
  22. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

I like my day job. McDonalds pays very well plus I get free fries! After sitting around in the trailer all day on the sofa in my underwear watchin' Springer, my career's takin' off.
    :laugh:

23. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

This.

fishcane and 32XD Japan1 like this.
  24. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Yup.

fishcane and GuildX700 like this.
  25. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I know Cage likes Godzilla... He bought one of my Godzilla Japanese garage kit buildups through an agent about 15 years ago.

BluesOvertookMe and BadJack like this.